Sponsored by:

had a play with an R6 this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2001, 02:43 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

and he obviously wanted to commit suicide!

off the lights on a bit of dual carriageway, I scream off and he's obviously up for a play and starts off easy and is very quickly beside me and matching my pace.

before we know it there's a lorry looming in the left hand lane (I'm in the right). as we get to it, bike makes no move to change lane, so I assume he'll let me go, then blat me after I pass the lorry.

Oh no! when my nose is level with the back of the lorry, bike THEN decides to overtake in between the lorry in the left lane and me level with it in the right lane I guess you all can imagine the closing speed on the lorry!

what's more the bike cut through doing a very visible wheelie!

I obviously had to slam on the brakes, r6 shoots through the small gap and later on (serves the git right) he ends up doing a VERY BIG stoppy as a towed caravan pulls out in front of him!

Was I right to think he was going to let me past the lorry and then overtake? He had so much room to shoot past me when we first saw the lorry!!

I thought it was safer playing with bikes in straight lines
Old 30 July 2001, 03:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Err... Not that I should own up to this sort of thing but the 2 lane bit of the M11 when every car sits in the o/side lane @ 60, I will tootle along the inside lane & then nip through the gap as a car gets near to a lorry/bus/car on the inside lane on the reasoning that they are unlikely to move to the inside la (as if ) just before the back of a lorry! Therefore that is the safest place to make that manoeuvre.

Worst time to do nip through traffic bit is when car/whatever in o/side la has just gone past lorry on the inside as they might actually pull over

Most of the time cars don't see bikes filtering like this, so it is done with a great deal of caution.

Again, not a recommended thing & it does sound like your R6 was a bit more of a plonker than that...

Also, I don't play with cars when I'm on my bike as it hurts a lot more if it goes pear shaped...
Old 30 July 2001, 03:29 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Uhmm, there was me, the r6 and, at about 120, a lorry all on a straight dual carriageway with no other traffic until later on.

He wasn't picking his moment very well that's for sure.

Old 30 July 2001, 05:10 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Puff's right. 'car v bike' challenges like this mostly end in tears.

I'll never race a bike in my scoob (or anything else for that matter), 'cos its pointless and, like Foster says, it ends up becoming a "who wants to die first?" competition.

Similarly, I'll never race a car on my bike. No fun and proves nothing.

cheers
Andrew

Old 31 July 2001, 12:49 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreed.

Old 31 July 2001, 12:53 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>& yes - pulling a wheelie @ 110+ on an R6 sounds a tad unlikely - not enough power...[/quote]

I take it you havent seen any Fast Bikes vids then puff.......

They can get those things up to 140+ on one wheel!!!

Jza
Old 31 July 2001, 02:11 AM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

It sometimes scares me to hear these stories.........a wheelie ? the guy is obviously a complete ********
Old 31 July 2001, 09:00 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wheelies and stoppies deserve maximum respect... Very skillful.

MB

Old 31 July 2001, 09:40 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bennetm:
<B>Wheelies and stoppies deserve maximum respect... Very skillful.

MB

[/quote]

True, but the guys risking his neck big time if he's forcing you to stop. Hit a truck on a bike and your dead!!

By the sounds of it - this guy was toying with you. Takes a lot of ***** to wheely on overtaking!!!! expecially through a gap.

Sounds like the dudes on a death wish

Jza
Old 31 July 2001, 09:41 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

There's a time and a place
wheelies: it's not a trials bike, he didn't need to get on my bonnet
Stoppys: He was sort of forced into that one, stop or make a cup of tea in the back of the caravan!!!

Avoided anything with more or less than 4 wheels today - better journey!!
Old 31 July 2001, 10:30 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

by stoppie do you mean 1) back wheel 4 feet in the air, or 2)sudden urge to come to standstill before painful impact. 1 is massively skillfull, 2 is massively stoopid.

I used to do stuff like this and probably worse (120+ MPH wheelies thru 2 foot space between two cars on motorway.) Most (younger)bikers need to fall off a couple of times or see their mates getting scraped off the road before they wise up (a bit.) Sounds like you found someone who still thinks that he will bounce painlessly.

Edited to say that a Renault Clio, a low speed truck and a wall eventually convinced me otherwise.

[This message has been edited by fast bloke (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 31 July 2001, 10:40 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bennetm:
[B]Wheelies and stoppies deserve maximum respect... Very skillful.

bennetm - are you serious?? I think not....

Old 31 July 2001, 10:56 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

The stoppy was a rear wheel 2 feet off the ground 20 feet from caravan's bum. He was accelerating at the time (from me) and I was doing 60 at this point (traffic).

fast bloke, I think you've got him down to a tee.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:01 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

R6 - 120mph wheelie - you sure ????
Old 31 July 2001, 11:01 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Unhappy

Saw biker this AM on the A12/A102(M) who was sitting on the floor in the middle of the road (2 lanes) with one of his legs looking the other way Ouch

Strong guess that he was going through the middle of the traffic (as everyone does there) & someone changed lane Speed of traffic around 30-40 at that point.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:03 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Arrow

& yes - pulling a wheelie @ 110+ on an R6 sounds a tad unlikely - not enough power...
Old 31 July 2001, 11:35 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

As we got to the lorry, I eased off a little and saw the speedo at just over 110. he had to slow down too, then his revs went high, I thought 'oh ****' and was just on the brake when he went through.

He wouldn't have been doing much above 100 I suppose (I was just referring to how fast I was going), but his front wheel was at least a foot off the ground - I could see it clearly next to my nearside wing!
Old 31 July 2001, 11:41 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by andrew6321:
<B>
Originally posted by bennetm:
[B]Wheelies and stoppies deserve maximum respect... Very skillful.

bennetm - are you serious?? I think not....
Andrew,

I take big wheelies very seriously! What's wrong with that. You never had a grin at a biker launching off the lights on 1 wheel?! And as for stoppies...

MB
Old 31 July 2001, 11:53 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

MB,
Absolutely agree. But I thought you were offering praise for our friend on the R6 - who sounds like a bit of a kn0b...

However, I was at the lights yesterday evening when a guy on a brand new R1 pulled up. "Bless him," I thought. "Just passed his test and gone out and bought an R1." Seemed to be having problems - stamping through the box to find first gear and making all kinds of crunching noises. Lights change, he pulls away, redlines it in first, nearly loops the bike, gets embarrassed and then hammers down the road at an incredibly stupid speed to get away from all the car drivers who have just witnessed him making a complete **** of himself.

That doesn't demand respect - that invites ridicule...

cheers
Andrew
Old 31 July 2001, 01:08 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

pulling a balance wheelie and accelerating to 140 needs a lot less power than a power wheelie. Most 600 bikes wont do power wheelies above 2nd gear. Occasionally 3rd, but not often. you can't do a balance wheelie with your front wheel 1 foot off the ground
Old 31 July 2001, 01:12 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Jza

But bringing it up at 100? Needs extra grumph. Prepared to be wrong tho'...
Old 31 July 2001, 01:35 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Looks like owning an impreza and a bikes is quite common. Speed is speed at the end of the day.

Personally, I can't wheelie my vfr400 without having my fat mate on the back!
Old 31 July 2001, 02:42 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dustbin - put it in first, get rolling at 4-5k revs, open the throttle completely, pull the clutch in and let it go quickly, yank handlebars. Once you get the knack you don't need much power to get it up. Be prepared for a bumpy landing the first few times tho'

Oh yes - the other piece of advice would be -only do this on a trackday.
[FB takes off flamesuit and hangs it behind the air-con unit]
Old 31 July 2001, 03:49 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have tried this procedure, but with no joy.
I guess I'm still not revving high enough.

I'll have another go.

Will I still need my fat mate?
Old 31 July 2001, 04:00 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dip the clutch a bit longer and yank harder on the bars. If you hold on to the clutch too long you will redline before you have a chance to boot it into second. Soon after this you will smack your face off the speedo It is also easier to launch but harder to control and land if you are standing on the pegs. Fat mates are handy for keeping the back wheel from spinning up exiting sharp bends, so hold onto him while you can. Probably work OK as an airbag if someone rear ends you as well.

Old 31 July 2001, 05:39 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Yeah, if you wanna laugh, watch the Fast Bikes vid's they made in France and/or Spain. I've watched two, and they trashed two bikes:

1) In a long tunnel pulling a wheelie
2) From the toll booth on a motorway

Oh, I think they hired a moped and rode it off the end of a jetty into the sea (just for the laugh). But the riding skill needed to do some of the wheelies is just amazing IMHO. Those guys are picking the front up, when Im touching down.

The other thing I've sort of picked up on is crashing. I had a *very* big crash on a gixer 750. Taught me not to go around corners at 3 figures when you can't stop in your field of vision. However I claim to this day that had I been in a car, I'd have died/been badly injured. You crash in a car when your speedo is in the 3 figure zone..... don't think its going to do you a lot of good. I jumped off the bike as I hit the vehicle doing the u-turn, and flew over the top. I suffered a slightly sprained ankle as a result of my mate hitting my legs/foot on the road as he was stopping. I was lucky yes, very lucky even, but even more lucky I wasn't in a car.

--
Mike