Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lexus IS300 - how many wagon owners interested?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2001, 01:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Just saw a snippet on the IS200 wagon to be released in a few months, called IS300. If I read my French car mag correctly, it will have a 3-litre engine pushing out 210 hp. Didn't mention the retail price unfortunately!

I get the impression that the IS200 is pretty well regarded, certainly as a compact executive, debatably as a driver's car. Anyone here showing interest in the wagon, or do I stick with my MY01 idea?

BJH
Old 30 July 2001, 02:05 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a poster in in Cheltenham with a picture of this thing on. Couldn't read the detailed text though.

However, it is probably one of the most desirable estates/wagons that I have seen (IMHO).

No doubt I cannot afford one, but Lexus build quality/reliability and a practical car. Doesn't really get much better than this

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 July 2001, 02:42 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Talking

Me, very Interested!!! I requested a brochure from the Lexus Website, and I had an email back within 2 hours saying the preliminary info was on it's way and when the proper brochure is finished that to would be sent.

See email below:

Martin,

Many thanks for your prompt response. With regards to the pricing, I can understand that there is no official price yet, however, is there any indication at all?? I assume that with it being a larger engine and being an estate it will be more than the IS200, but I wonder if it will be £1-2000 extra or £5-6000 extra!

I can also appreciate that you are probably restricted to setting expectations, but any info will be appreciated and clearly would not be binding etc.

I had an IS200 Sport prior to my existing car - only reason I changed was that it wasn't quite quick enough! Which is one of the reasons the IS300 appeals!

Many thanks,

Jamie

-----Original Message-----
From: lexusinfo [mailto:lexusinfo@lexuscontactcentre.com]
Sent: 26 July 2001 13:30
To: 'jamie'
Subject: Lexus IS300 Model Enquiry

Dear Mr Longmuir,

Thank you for your interest in Lexus.

I am pleased to inform you that I have processed your IS300 brochure
request.

At present there is only preliminary information available, which I have
sent.

As soon as the full brochure becomes available it shall be dispatched to
you.

As the model is not due for release until October, no official price has
been set at the moment.

Once again thank you for your interest in Lexus and if you have any
questions please do not hesitate to contact me at the number below.

Regards

Martin

So far, I haven't heard anything back about pricing....but no harm in trying I suppose! I was in London yesterday and there are plenty of billboards advertising the new car..

Jim
Old 30 July 2001, 05:48 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nah, not me - it's not AWD and the image is that of a wide-boys BMW IMHO

Lots of lowered/bodykitted/big wheeled IS200's round here and they are a little bit sad

Steve
Old 30 July 2001, 10:24 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

So far as I knew the IS300 will also be available in saloon form, it being the 3 litre version of the current IS200. The estate models will be known as 'Sport Wagons'. I think this is certainly the state of affairs in the US.

I hope I'm correct and at last there will be one with decent power in the saloon which I prefer aesthetically. The paper figures for a 200 are almost identical to my Corsa!

As for modding one - have you ever watched this?
Old 31 July 2001, 10:26 AM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Smile

When I was last in the States I drove an IS300 saloon over there as they haven't bothered with the smaller 2.0 litre engine ofer there. It had the Auto box with Tiptronic change on the steering wheel and it was very nice indeed. I had an IS200se when it came out in 1999 and all it really needed to compete with BMW/Audi was a bigger,more powerful engine. I'm sure that the IS300 Sport Cross will be a really good car but it's main competition will be the BMW330i Touring with it's 231bhp compared to the Lexus 210bhp...

Gareth.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:49 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I also have tried IS200 and was impressed save for lack of pace. However its a bit dated now and the IS300 is still no ball of fire 0-60 in 8.2 for manual car.

Dont think its a drivers machine to rival Scoob.