Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsey Scoobynetters

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2002, 10:14 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL@makalu.... lucky you didn't get a kick in the nuts!

P20 - Been there, done that (tho' not as kid). Eventually, you find over is less wearisome

Phil
edit for failed smiley

[Edited by Phil Harrison - 9/5/2002 10:20:28 AM]
Old 09 May 2002, 12:28 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

oops double posting..damn that flood control

[Edited by TAZMAN - 9/5/2002 1:11:00 PM]
Old 05 September 2002, 08:30 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Question

Picked up the Horse thread from the Golden Moments thread - brilliant! Class muppetry.... but also a decent number of knowledgeable answers from Horse-owners. Have often wondered - as an STiUK owner who also has, and actively rides, a couple of horses (not both at the same time ) - how many Scooby owners also have horses. Might be an adrenalin thing... a couple of dozen cross-country jumps is as good as a B-road blast IMHO, and I love both!

Interested to see how many positive responses there are.....even from Muppets

BTW, have PTMW and ^QWERTY^ solved their respective problems yet?

Cheers

Phil
Old 05 September 2002, 08:37 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've had a couple of horses in my time... needed a stepladder though!

Mak.
Old 05 September 2002, 08:42 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wife has 6, AFAIAC that is 6 too many. Never get me on the bloody things now, too many memories as a kid of blasting through hedges with a demented horse in control.
Old 05 September 2002, 10:10 AM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

dont't have any horses of my own..but have always enjoyed going riding (ignores the phnarr phanrr comments from the muppet team).

Still its the only thing I am worse at then my driving...usual story of optimisim over ability=bruises...
Old 05 September 2002, 10:28 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Love horses! (I'll refrain from posting a pic of my old nag though as I've done it too often )

Sadley funds don't allow for one at the moment...however, my brothers an equine supplier and his future wife a riding instructor and they're moving to the area soon looking at buying a little yard - so once again I might have the pleasure of riding dememted horses towards huge ditches

I'd say it's def. related to the fast car buzz...just got to get the husband on one now

Jen
Old 05 September 2002, 10:46 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Went riding at a local school for 3-4 years; as much for the hacks across fields as the attrations of the stable girls

I still curse and swear at the horsey set who always ride 3 abreast down the main road near me. I figure that things with tyres should be on the road, things with hooves should be on grass; they go better that way.
Old 05 September 2002, 10:51 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I have grown up with horses

First horse I conciously remember was the little Shetland I used to bounce around on when I was small

I looked after my mum's Welsh cob section D - known as Taffy up until he was put down at 10 years old due to a hunting accident with someone else riding him [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

We used to have to carts - one a training cart and the other one a rather nice cart that was used for hire at weddings and such

My parents had just bought a 4 acre field to keep him in when the accident happened

So, the carts went and two more horses were purchased - two more section D's both 3 years old, never broken in - one a mare, the other a fecking loony gelding.
We had to sell the gelding on as he was dangerous - the new owners new exactly what his problems were, so we didn't just get shot of him.

Three stables were built on the field, my mum and I put up wooden fecning to section off the fields and got the electricity board to supply the stables with leccy
A horse box was bought also.

I broke in the mare aided by my mum and we bought another horse for my mum to ride, a cross Irish draught that was the most friggin' nappy thing ever!!!
Because of the problematic nature of her, I re-broke her in again with my mum keeping an eye on things and expert help in addition.

I learnt a lot!!! I learnt to ride properly and break in horses!!! My mum is a great believer in the Monty roberts way of breaking them in

Then the Section D mare came down with what we initially thought was colic. It rapidly developed into laminitis
Fortunately she pulled through, but the plans we had for showing her and all the training was lost
So, we put her to stud and had a wee little foal

The foal was mine and from birth till we sold her I looked after her, broke her in. She was a gem!!! She died recently under the care of her new owners due to equine diabetes and a tumour on her brain Her new owners couldn't thank us enough for selling her to them which I feel was a credit to mum and I

Anyhow, the reason we do not have them at the moment was because the shifts I was doing at work in addition to the extra college work meant I was unable to allocate enough time to look after them.
Mum also was struggling to get decent shifts as she was working for the ambulance service.

We decided it would be unfair on them to keep them, so with deep regret, they were sold.

Okay, finished waffling now
Old 05 September 2002, 11:18 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Well, yes & no...

The woman next door is some sort of Class 1 Horse Looking After Instructor or somesuch & she bags & bins all the doings every day - hence why no pit. However, when wind in the wrong direction, the smell of horse still drops into our rear garden, where we like to enterntain friends (whether permitting). She also has rubber matting on the floor to protect hooves & stop kicking noises.

Horse is currently absent & having spoke to her dad the other day know that is currently paddocked, which makes me a lot happier as I'm sure it was going stir crazy being cooped up in a stable all the time. I also know that she is looking to buy a couple of acres of grazing for it, so I would imagine that she's end up stabling it there too as not much spare land around here.

The stable itself is still an eyesore but has grown on me certainly (ie I don't think about it) but it still annoys the wife. Planning permission will probably be asked for (retrospective) & we will probably object. We're still waiting for the application If no horse, then it might go but probably stay as some sort of mega garden shed

The main problem is that the lady just goes & "does" things and doesn't possibly realise/care that it might affect her neighbours. Discuss first, let us know, & I'm sure all would be well. Her attitude is that we are "city folk" & we ought not to move to the country if we don't like cockrells/horses whatever LOL, my wife is the daughter of a farmer & I was brought up in rural Donegal! However, that doesn't mean that we have to put up with ****/noise/whatever from our neighbours

Life eh?
Old 05 September 2002, 11:23 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

IMHO it is much better to have to travel yourself to have a place where the horse(s) would be happy.

The field is approximately 4 miles from my parents' house.
I used to get up at 5/5.30am, cycle down to the field, muck the horses out.
Do a quick moring exercise with them. Turn them out to grass for the day.
Cycle back, get washed, go to school (later college), come back, cycle down again.
Spend 2-3 hours with them. Cycle back and do some homework (okay so that last one was a lie )
If mum was not on shift, she would give me a lift in the evening.
Old 05 September 2002, 11:49 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Don't suppose you could lend Makalu a Shetland, Michelle?? Shetland could solve his problem!!!

Luckily, I'm both retired and still fit enough to ride daily. So I can gallop the Scooby to the yard, then gallop the nag(s)

Phil
Old 05 September 2002, 11:56 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Hopefully I will have opportunity to have a horse again, I will be looking towards the Welsh section D's again as I do love that breed
Maybe an Arab/Arab X.

Whichever I get, I would prefer to have a youngster so that I am able to break it in myself
Old 05 September 2002, 11:59 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Agree 100% with Stanmo.... I expect courtesy FROM drivers (it can be pretty exposed up there!) and so try to give courtesy TO drivers(single file, verge where possible, trot on if its narrow, acknowledge). Even as a horsey scooby-driver, I get very pi55ed off with thoughtless riders.

Phil
Old 05 September 2002, 12:04 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Likewise Phil!!!

When out riding I go out of my way to thank courteous drivers. I ensure that I do everything I can to move the horse out of the way if possible and make sure it doesn't do anything daft!!!
I never take a horse that is inexperienced out on the road alone - despite me beign a very experienced and confident rider - that is just suicide!!!

Whenever I am driving I am courteous to horse riders, ensuring the car passes slowly, with a very wide berth, with as little noise as possible.
If I see that the horse is struggling, I stop, even switching the engine off if need be after getting as far out of the way as possible.
Old 05 September 2002, 12:30 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

have to go for the obvious joke...

I am a youngester