Sponsored by:

Picking up new WRX on Saturday!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2002, 12:19 PM
'kin quick2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

This Saturday I will be one of the happiest bunnies in Essex as after many months scrimping and saving i am going to pick up a brand spanking (you can tell i'm a bit excited can't you!!) new WR Blue WRX saloon!!! Could'nt afford any mods other than the sills being colour coded, but when i've saved some more i'm gonna have some fun (wheels, lights, spoiler, back box etc..)

Has anyone got any advice as to what to check when picking up a brand new Scoob??? Also i would like to know about the running-in period (how long, what speed, etc..)

Got a wedding Saturday afternoon so the first showing-off will be great!! Then got all next week off to play and get my stereo in including 12" sub and Alpine stuff.

Any info will be greatly appreciated and tested

Ross

Old 04 September 2002, 12:44 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

A rule you need to always stick too, don't take it over 3K rpm for the first 10 - 15 mins.
Running in I'm not sure the Dealer should know.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 04 September 2002, 12:48 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Dealer should tell you not more than 4K rpm for the first 1000 miles. Then needs an oil change. After that just look after it while warming up and cooling down. max 3k rpm for 10-15 mins + 5 mins cooling down follwed by 1 min ticking over.

Have fun and remember shiny side up!!!!!

BB
Old 04 September 2002, 12:50 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Wink

When picking up a new car bring a m8 and go over the car as if it was 2nd hand, alot of damage can happen in transit which is then hastily repaired by dealers, buyer beware ALWAYS...
u'll be too excited to notice any probs BTW congrats and best of luck ya jammy git

Cheers
Old 04 September 2002, 12:52 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Ross,

Check the paintwork....get them to take you out for a drive..check for brake squeal. Have a drive yourself, and if there's anything that doesn't feel quite right get it sorted there and then. Sounds obvious but when you see your new gleaming toy it's easy to forget!!

Running in..
Stick below 3000rpm for the first 500 miles (It's a real pain in the **** as you can feel the car about to take off and have to quickly change gear).
At 500 you can increase the revs slightly by about 500.
At 750 (I think) you need to get the cooking oil changed + filter for synthetic (or semi- see other threads for arguments on that one!). The service costs around £100-£120.

If you're using the motorway, don't stick at one speed/rpm all the time...change it every now and again.
Once you've had the oil changed at 750, You can start to progressively increase the revs. You will feel the car gradually loosening up. I didn't go up to above 5,500 until about 1500 miles.
I've now done 5,500 in 5 months and still rarely go above 6,000 but you don't really need to..to get a big grin !!

I'm now due the 7,500 miles/ 6 month service next month for another change of oil and filter. again I think the service costs £100-£120 but will find out next month!!

Good luck and enjoy the car.

don't forget to use 97 RON SUL or Optimax.

(Don't blame me for anything going wrong on your car either...this is the advice I was given when I got mine brand new in May.)

Tony

Old 04 September 2002, 12:57 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Presume your insurance is sorted.
Make sure that documentation is in order. e.g. service book, tax disc, V5 present.
PDI should be signed off in service book. You can request a copy of the PDI (I would).
Check VIN number on V5 against vehicle. Registration on tax disc matches vehicle.
Although not essential you could prevent a lot of grief later by making these simple checks now. Dealers dishing out loads of cars, especially near 1st Sept can get mixed up. Once you've driven off it will be harder to sort things out.
Old 04 September 2002, 01:06 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Assuming it a brand new car you wont get a V5 it comes through the post as you are the first registered keeper but you can check the number on the invoice against the car. I actually had a temporary/emergency tax disc as well when I picked my scoob up.

Cheers

ChrisP
Old 04 September 2002, 01:31 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Get the tracking checked front and rear (4 wheel alignment), unless you want to be replacing your tyres after 3k.

Tracking on the front seems to be a common problem on the WRX.

Oil change/service is at 1000 (see service manual)

and enjoy
Old 04 September 2002, 07:26 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

don't forget to check the interior, not just from the driver seat but look in the back and the boot. Make sure all the trim fits properly (bits of mine don't) and that there are no scratches in the plastics etc.

Then do 1000 miles as quick as you can (quick = time not speed)

Piers LoFi
Old 04 September 2002, 07:35 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

did my 1000 miles in 3 days had to get that out of the way .....
Old 04 September 2002, 07:39 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Get in it, drive it....and smile mate.

Steve
Old 04 September 2002, 09:12 PM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

nail it off the forecourt....all this running in is for ******
Old 04 September 2002, 10:00 PM
AndyS44
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat - First new car to being picked up Saturdy morning.

Apart from the 'flippin excited' feelings, what about 'somebodies bound to crash into me and if they don't I will be car jacked for sure or stolen the first time I leave it feelings.

How can the purchase of a new car be so full of high's and lows!!
Old 05 September 2002, 01:04 AM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs up

Enjoy
Old 05 September 2002, 01:43 PM
'kin quick2
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks for the info everyone, Andys44 - your right, bit weary of the car jacking thing, concerned about parking it anywhere too but really excited about getting it!!! - bit mixed up

taking my Dad who won't be so excited and will have his "calm down son or you'll c@ck it up" hat on, got the week off to do my 1000 miles at a snails pace, been thinking about mods already!! (bit too skint for all that at the mo)

will miss going sideways in my BMW 320i - but then a new set of rear tyres were rapidly iminent!!!

would like to try it out on an air field or large open space once it's run in and i'm used to it just for research purpose's you understand

can't wait!!!

Ross

ps - hope the smilies work cos i've never used them before

Old 06 September 2002, 07:57 PM
AndyS44
Scooby Regular

Good luck in the morning!!

Just been over to dealership, there it is in the showroom looking fabulous!!

Can't wait.

Subaru ownership here I come.