Sponsored by:

P1v300UK

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 04:49 PM
Raf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Is there as much passion for a 300UK as there is for a P1. Which would you choose?
Is there that much difference between the two in the driving seat?
Old 18 July 2001, 04:53 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

the P1 is a harder ride and goes like a rocket, handling is marginally better (but not quite as much as some might think, the MY'01 has vastly improved handling). IMHO

Old 18 July 2001, 05:01 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Your Joking right?

The P1 (so ive heared) is the BEST drivers car sorry 22B owners

Just wish i could afford one
Old 18 July 2001, 06:07 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw in Autocar today that P1's are being offered with a £2200 reduction!!!! Isn't that under 2k more than a UK300? Bargain. Chalk and Cheese
Old 18 July 2001, 06:41 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Raf

I think Dr Evil and myself are the only two owners on here that have had a P1 and now MY01. Dr Evil has a std car with some nice mods, and Ive got a UK300 with PPP.

If you search on the forum it has been discussed at length before. They are different cars. One is better than the other in a number of areas. None of the two cars are perfect, and it really depends on your priorities which is the best for you.

Would I buy an old shape again after owning a new shape - No, but thats down to what properties I look for in a car. You could well be different.

Jonathan
Old 19 July 2001, 02:18 AM
ownly
Scooby Regular

Chins, you have a 300UK now ????

WTH happen to the M3 ? and many times per year do you get a new car ????

BTW, how is it going ?

O/...
i still have my STi V6 and don't use it at all...
Old 19 July 2001, 03:07 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Wink

cannot comment on the drive of the uk300. However, i took my P1 in for 1,000 mile service today and had a good look around the uk300. The only good point i could see on the uk300 compared to P1 was it had 18 inch wheels compared to my gold 17 inch.

The uk300 looks a complete abortion, and the reason i got a new P1 was that I was never going to get a new shape. EVERYONE i have talked to says the new shape looks ugly. Although it may be more capable than old shape( has this been tested, and is it true!!!!!)i would b embarrased to be in one. In several years from now, and if radical changes are not made, i will be leaving imprezas for something else.
Old 19 July 2001, 06:53 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

O/...

The M3 is still on it way at the moment in time. Need to decide if I still want it or the new STI. Trying to limit myself to 2 changes a year. Unlike Spudgun on this BBS who is on his 3rd car in three months !!.

Whats your daily drive then ?

Scoobynutta

I thought I'd get lots of bad comments on the UK300, but apart from a couple of people not liking the rear spoiler, most comment on how much nicer the car looks. Not sure if they would say the same if it was a std car.

Jonathan
Old 19 July 2001, 07:41 AM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I suppose it's down to personal preference, I went for a standard UK Impreza because I hated the looks of the Evo, I think Jeremy Clarkson made an Interesting comment regarding them and Halfords. I had a UK300 scream up behind me on the way back for the Lake District, thought it was a Corolla with drastic body job, didn't impress the missus either, she thinks my Impreza looks like a Mondeo, but hey, she would rather drive her Micra. I think the P1 shape will always we regarded as the Kult machine, but don't you find that If something is shoved in your face long enough you evenually get to like it. If I ever changed mine it would be for a 22b, if you can find one.

Put a couple of straws in a hat and hope you pull the one you really want
Old 19 July 2001, 08:32 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Looking at my old shape car against the MY01 does make it look at bit outdated, but I still love it's agression and stance. If I had to have one car then I would probably go now for a MY01, as like you say, the looks are growing on me after being shoved in my face so much.

Generally these handling debates are just a load of tosh though. Alex's opinion is far more believable to me than something like the article in Evo. Alex feels the handling is alot sharper on the new model, and you have to hope he is correct. Yet Evo rates the P1 and RB5 as far better than either new model (stnd and UK300) ! The RB5 they admit has exactly the same suspension/dampers etc as a std Uk car of the same age except 1 inch bigger wheels - a mod that most of us do anyway ! Yet it apparently is the most sorted Impreza ever ???? The P1 they call the 'Ultimate' Impreza, and yes it is a great car. But my Sti RA is quicker straight out of the box, and yes the ride is firmer, and maybe not so good for Uk roads, but put it on the track and I am sure it will handle better. So the 'Ultimate Impreza' has been compromised for bumpy Uk roads !!! Hardly Ultimate then is it ?

Better handling ? Surely it is all subjective anyway to the driver, what he wants, how good a driver he is and how much he drives.

Sorry - rant over
Old 19 July 2001, 08:52 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Cool

Check out EVO mag's test this month. I know i am biased here, but the UK300 looks like a boy racers Impreza and has none of that normal Impreza style and presence. What were they thinking when they stuck that rear wing on!!! Better to go P1 or MY01 and visit Mr.Croney to sort out the looks.
Old 19 July 2001, 09:55 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

UK WRX WR Blue (the scanner is playing up!)

As Chin's has said, I have owned:

UK Impreza Turbo (MY'00)
Impreza P1
And now the above, and the new shape has a lot of merits, and so do the old, and lets face it, neither new or old is classed as an attractive car!

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Alex
Old 19 July 2001, 10:19 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Chins,

Sorry about the comments on the rear spoiler, I really don't like it.

As for the car, it is growing on me. Saw a UK300 down Tileys the other day, and I'm liking it more and more. Suppose I'll eventually love it once my cars done 80k. Done 15k now, so won't be that long.

Cheer Phill C
Old 19 July 2001, 10:35 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

I'm not qualifyed to answer this question on a technical performance level as the UK300 is my first Impreza. But I have to say what sold me was the look. As soon as I saw the new google eyed look of the Impreza I hated it. It did grow on me a bit but not enough for me to go out and get one. I then saw the rally version and thought "wow if they bring that out I'll be getting me one of those" And so they did, I love the lights and the spoiler on the back is nice too. P1 does look F**king hard as nails though.
Old 19 July 2001, 02:01 PM
robin lowry
Scooby Regular

P1 as a name, sounds better than UK300. wonder why the UK300 wasn't called something a bit more sporty. Both good cars though.
Old 19 July 2001, 05:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
From my point of view its the P1 hands down. Looks wise,the uk300 although an improvement on wrx, still looks like an idea from a skitzo car designer. Subaru dont know quite how to make it look, and i suspect the changes are to make it look more appealing after being shocked by responses from impreza owners, journalists and the general public.

I have seen some new shapes sporting a high sti5 type spoiler, and they look a lot better from rear.But even with the twin headlight conversion, it still looks weird from the front.

The P1 looks a mean machine on steroids. There is no ambiguity when looking at it from any angle, u know its a real tarmac burner, and so does anyone who hasnt even heard of an impreza before.

Performance wise the P1 has 280 bhp and goes 0-60 in 4.6. Figures i suspect are above a uk300. I think the ride and handling of P1 are excellent,although i have never driven a uk300, so cant compare.

I had the choice of either a uk300 or a P1, and took delivery of a P1 two days ago. No contest in my view!

Old 19 July 2001, 05:52 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

I would have loved a P1 unfortunatly it was £5000 out of my price range. As for the UK300 I really do think those lights are excellent and it's the first thing everyone comments on when they first see it. There isn't another car on the road that looks the same it really does stand out. I think it's very debatable on the looks front between the P1 and the UK300. Even though I love the look of the P1 it doesn't really stand out from the crowd. As for performance the P1 wins hands down. That £5000 has got to go somewhere :}
Old 19 July 2001, 06:34 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

"the P1 doesnt stand out in a crowd"!!!!!!!!!!!! youve got to be kidding right!Ive had to take out insurance in case i get sued by people falling over or having accidents as i cruise by!

Seriously, u get loads of people looking and turning around. I cant think of another car that would get such a reaction like it!
Old 19 July 2001, 06:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I own an MY00 turbo, ive driven an MY01 2ltr GX, and it was an improvement over the MY00, but get rid of me baby? Nahhhhh Maybe one day i will, when i find a car that i want to replace her with (cant afford an sti7 just yet but the new shape does actually grow on you, and it does look better in the flesh than it does in pictures

Edited cos im a muppet
Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 19 July 2001).]
Old 19 July 2001, 10:28 PM
ownly
Scooby Regular

hehe Chins my man... the STi 6 is gathering dust in the garage.

on the reg i ride my tricked-out Honda VTR1000-SP (SP1) and since my father is out of the country i drive his GT-3 on the weekends. i still would only use the scoob once a week if didn't have the 996 so i'm selling it because i want a second bike. I'll just use my ladies 206 GTi for the groceries, my SP1 for the week and possibly a Ducati for the weekends.

although i am planning to get the new M3 in a few years. now i just just don't need a ca at all and don't want one.

O/...
Old 20 July 2001, 12:52 AM
robin lowry
Scooby Regular

I suppose the P1 is better for British roads than an Sti 6, but they are basically the same car. I think the P1 benefits from different gearing, suspension more sympathetic to our roads, and runs on SUL, and if you're stuck NUL fuel are ok to.
Old 20 July 2001, 09:32 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Just my two pennyworth here folks.
I've had an STi 6, yellow mind you.
Now a P1 with quite a few mods and a few more to go, love the car to bits, still think a tad bit expensive for what you get bearing in mind I've owned a few exotica sports cars but I have to say that the UK 300 is a mighty fine looking machine and with a few mods added I'd be happy to own one. The MY01 can also be made to look a little more appealing, take Pete's car at scoobysport, had I seen his first I would have opted for one, done same mods and more and still had change from my P1 money to buy an ice cream
Like most things, all must change and usually for the better, but hey, I still get the horn when I'm sat behind the wheel of my P1
Old 20 July 2001, 10:31 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Have my UK MY00 and its good enough for me.......

Thats what I thought until a kind gentleman let me have a go in his STi6 at the Weybridge meet....

It was remarkably quicker, handled much better and generally seemed a better car...and for only a few £K's more.......

So I assume the UK300 is better than the UK, MY00, but where does the P1 fit into this...

Better than an STi6?

J

[This message has been edited by ScoobySnack (edited 20 July 2001).]
Old 20 July 2001, 02:19 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Perhaps I'd better get down to test a P1 before they all go then...........and make a comparison......

I was under the impression that the P1 still went for £32K and they were not being discounted. The Sti6 was about £28K(is this correct?). Seems that £4K isn't too bad for a UK setup car with a warranty.

J

Old 20 July 2001, 02:56 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

After I had sold my MY00 I was on the lookout for a new car. Tried BMW’s Jag’s Merc’s but the dragon never fancied any of them. I took her to see the new MY01 but she said, “Don’t come home with one off these.” Not long after I had a call from my dealer to try the P1 I told him it was not worth it, as I could not raise that amount of cash and. I as I have also drove the STI’s and know what they are like, is it worth bothering. He said “Come on down and take the car out for the day, you never know you might like it.” So I did.
I pulled up outside the dragon’s works and gave a beep out she came jumped in and said “take me for a ride.” She fell in love with it straight away. I also thought it was the best Impreza that I had ever driven. So it was back to the dealers 150 miles later. I told him I liked the car but just could not afford it. With the money I got from my old car and a bit of cash I had lying around I only had about £28000 the dealer said “I’ll take that.” and the deal was done.
Obviously I found some more cash for the entire lot of extra’s I now have.
The test drive in the MY01 I had was very uneventful I just could not get the back out on the roundabouts no matter how hard I tried. I could not imagine me driving the MY01 across Exmoor with the lads and saying well I did manage to keep up with some of the Impreza’s. I like to be a front-runner not someone who can just keep up.
So SCOOBYSNACK get down there and pick up one of the last but don't try it unless you have the money.
Old 20 July 2001, 05:14 PM
ajw
Scooby Regular

It always amuses me whenever the "looks" debate comes up. I thought people bought these cars for driving appeal,power, grip etc. If u want a nice looking car, but a tigra or even better a german cabriolet! god forbid.