Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some b*astard has nicked my spolier

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 07:01 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that. Any bad damage to the boot lid? I have an RB5 spoiler for sale - it's not yours, honest! Replaced mine with an STi5 one. E-mail me if you are interested. There isn't a mark on it.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Iain P (edited 17 July 2001).]
Old 17 July 2001, 08:13 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me too M8 - RB5. Bloody annoying. Mine was outside the dealers!

Good luck, if there is any boot damage get dentmaster to sort it rather than paint.
Old 17 July 2001, 09:15 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Angry

I had an sti5 rear spoiler and the front aftermarket spoiler ripped off car with a screwdriver. Was this is a bad area of town in the early hours of the morning? NO, 1.30 pm in a Tescos car park, in clear view broad daylight. Of course nobody saw anything.I was in there for a total of 20 mins max.

The sad thing was I had a deposit on another car and was due to p/x the next day. As I had signed over all the paperwork the insurance company wouldnt pay out and the dealer wouldnt pay original p/x price for my car.

Therefore thanks to some theiving scum low life trash that hanging by their ***** and assaulted with long rusty metal bars is too good for, I lost £500.

I know exactly how you feel mate, its absolutley sickening. You work long hard hours to pay for such a lovely car and some ****** who needs funds for his drug induced life of leisure has the nerve to nick off of you.

If I had saw them attacking my car I would have gone absolutley beserk and I know I would have being capable of dishing out some permanent physical damage.

Old 17 July 2001, 10:53 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your spoiler Dom.

The standard spoiler is £680ish + VAT and painting. You could opt for the Prodrive WR spoiler at £500 + VAT and painting.

David
Old 17 July 2001, 11:31 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

*******s
andyp
Old 17 July 2001, 11:59 AM
Dom99
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the votes of sympathy. If I get my hands on those b*stards..... . The only thing i'll say in their favour is it was a very professional job - not a single scratch to the car...frankly, I don't think this is a good sign though...

Ian P

Thanks for the offer - will almost certainly get back to you on this. Am slightly nervous at the moment that they may just come back for the next one and, since I'll lose my No Claims and have a high excess, I won't be able to claim anything on insurance.... Anyone know how to electrify their spolier?

scoobynutta

Yeah, you're right - it really is the fact that you work bloody hard to buy the thing and then some turd comes along and helps himself for free.

Shark

Ouch!! Strange that the Prodrive WR spolier is more expensive?! So, the best part of £1000 to replace one brake light and a bit of fibreglass! Subaru are doing well....

Old 17 July 2001, 12:02 PM
Dom99
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Just got back from holiday to find the spoiler has been nicked from my RB5. B*STARDS What do they do with these things? Is it just a trophy? Will they be coming back for the rest of the car/wheels etc?

More usefully, anyone know what sort of price I'm looking at for a replacement on a (standard) RB5? Are they even available?

God this irritates me!
Old 17 July 2001, 02:15 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Ba$tards!

Dom99 you have my sympathies mate.

Same thing happened to me, except my boot was also damaged.

As I recall the total repair bill (new O.E. spoiler, paint, boot repair, more paint, labour + VAT) came to nearly £1200.

I couldn't live with the thought that with that sort of expenditure it could/would be nicked again, so I went for a 22b style aftermarket spoiler (www.drmotorsport.co.uk)

-Cheaper (though still very good quality).
-More difficult to steal (bolted several times across width of boot).
-Maybe less desirable to theiving scumbags (it would be damaged if removed by force).

Anyway, I hope you get the car fixed soon.

Still pi$$es me off though...

Rich

Old 17 July 2001, 02:50 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear that.

Whats also annoying is the fact that the spoiler will turn up on another Scoob somewhere (or on some sort of rice boy, overdone, max powered, 10 year old, Honda Accord type car)

DW
Old 17 July 2001, 02:54 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Always worries me....

I know a few people who have had an extra alarm sensor added to the spoiler, either that or a movement sensor which would go off if you touch the car.

I'm thinking about it.

MB
Old 17 July 2001, 03:00 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Wink

Dom if it helps any the sti5 spoiler I did have was £658 vat included. This included a brake light and was of very good quality ready to paint.Part number was ggs676.This was over 18 months ago and im assuming they are cheaper now.
I cant remember how much it was to have it painted and fitted, I can only guess at about £100. hope it works out for ya.(I thought i saw an ad in the private section of scoobynet for an sti5 spoiler.......)

I did order another spoiler to begin with from another firm up in Newcastle (not naming them in case I get done) which was of very poor quality and their customer service policy was zero. The spoiler in question, didnt fit, the two bases were out of allignment and there were scratches all over it.
Old 17 July 2001, 05:51 PM
Dom99
Scooby Newbie

Only thing that worries me about more bolts (e.g. aftermarket spolier) is that the b*stards will just use more force and bugger up the boot in the process.

bennetm - I had thought of something like this. Given that they have to disconnect the brakelight, I would have thought it would be comparitively easy to rig that to the alarm system. Problem is, by the time the alarm goes off, it's too late. Same problem with a contact switch under the spolier. The only alarm that could work is some sort of vibration sensor on the spolier, but I'm not sure how one would go about rigging that up. Any more info. on the alarms that your mates have? I really am loathe to buy a new one until I can be reasonably sure that it won't be nicked again....

Ian P - you've got mail....

Thanks everyone - keep the security/cost saving ideas coming...

Dom
Old 17 July 2001, 07:45 PM
SUPERCAR-KILLER
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Dom 99,
Sorry to hear about that , i got my spoiler nicked off my sti 5 type r, it happened one night outside the house, they didnt get it off in one peice and there was abitleft on .Boot lid was bent slightly, i was devastated cos some weeks before it was keyed twice on two panels.
Anyway i sold the car cos i was that pissed off, its right you cant have anything nice without someone defacing it through jealousy or a mad kick,i was quoted about a grand painted for a spoiler plus panel damage came to about 1300 quid.i couldnt afford to keep paying out like this.
It wasnt worth claiming on the insurance cos i had 400 quid exess and would lose 4yrs bonus which would have cost me more in the long run.
I really miss my impreza, it was the best car i have ever owned and i have some great memories.
SK
(306 turbo deisel)
exige coming soon i hope????? or R1?
Old 17 July 2001, 09:48 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

Dom99,

I know exactly how you feel. Had my rear wing nicked about 2 weeks ago while on vacation in France. Mine was the std. MY99 spoiler so
luckily it did not cost a fortune to replace.

The "fine members of society" had just yanked it straight off. Mounting bolts were still on the boot lid, cracked away from the spoiler.
Luckily no major damage done to the boot lid.
Old 18 July 2001, 09:44 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Dom,

I think it was TopCat who had it done on his Toad alarm. He showed me the alarm armed then tapped the boot which set it off. It worked on the whole car. I think Clifford and Cobra's can have this vibration sensor? Craigmungos, any ideas?

I reckon you could have a spare battery in the boot wired up to shock the buggers. On the other hand, the other day a blind man was feeling his way over my WRC wing to cross the road, so that might not be too fair.

MB
Old 18 July 2001, 06:41 PM
scott k
Scooby Newbie

Sorry to hear about the spoiler dom,the nerve of some people!!!! I have an idea.
Replace your rear wing,then conceal your self in the boot,when you hear the sound of the b*stards spring out of the boot armed with a rather large implment WACK WACK need i say more!!!
Old 19 July 2001, 02:09 PM
Dom99
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Scott K

Very tempting actually.......

For everyone's info. I have recently heard down a rather seedy grapevine that it takes 3 guys under 10 seconds to remove the spoiler without leaving a scratch on the car. That must make it one of the most lucrative jobs around!!

I'm buying the spolier off Iain P but suspect that I won't put it on until I move somehwere with a garage (or a large dog ). Sad, but it's just not worth it....

Incidentally, I've assumed that, being so small, it won't make any difference in terms of the car's handling. Anyone disagree with this?

Cheers all,

Dom