Sponsored by:

Operation Gatso

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 10:02 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[rant]

As the police don't seem to admit these speeding cameras are pure and simply a money making operation, and try to tell us they're a deterent - why not give the police a helping hand...

The next time you spot one of these things 'accidentally' placed where its difficult to spot, lets stop and place a very large flurescent yellow cross on it - eventually all the damn cameras in the UK will be dead easy to spot and therefore act as a proper deterent.

I'm sure the police would love that.

-DV

[/rant]

Old 17 July 2001, 10:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

You can actually buy a geo thing that alarms when you approach a camera, me m8 showed me on sunday how it worked, pretty good

Tony
Old 17 July 2001, 10:43 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

what a brilliant idea Daz.

group Buy anyone?
Old 17 July 2001, 11:19 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Smile

DazV,

The Association of British Drivers (www.abd.org.uk) is doing exactly that, i.e. trying to influence government policy such that all gatso's are high visability.

After all, the purpose of a GATSO is to warn people that they are approaching an accident blackspot! (yeah right!)

C
Old 17 July 2001, 11:24 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Talking

I want, I want, I want......a Geodesy
Old 18 July 2001, 12:28 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Talking

If only people were a bit more pro active in the UK

For the last few years the government and police have been taking advantage of people's apathy. Speed cameras and other driver unfriendly devices are being used to put people off driving their cars as an excuse for a transport policy. I am not suprised that a **** the police attitude surfaces whenever they are mentioned as it is the way most people feel. Drivers are oppressed and drivers of performance cars now seem to be public enemy no 1. Lets hope blunkett makes an effort to sort things out - he's making the right sort of noises at least.

Re: the day-glo paint personally I'd prefer a couple of tyres some petrol and a match but day-glo paint is better than nothing.
Old 18 July 2001, 09:21 AM
Ken Ross
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DazV:
<B>[rant]
The next time you spot one of these things 'accidentally' placed where its difficult to spot, lets stop and place a very large flurescent yellow cross on it
[/rant]
[/quote]

On a recent Trip up from Dundee to Aberdeen I noticed that Two of the speed camera's had been painted with 'day-glow' paint nice and easy to spot now.

Aren't the camera's in the Netherlands all hi-vis ?
Old 18 July 2001, 09:35 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I went to Castle Coombe last weekend to the RSOC meeting, as we came through a village out onto the open road, guess what ?

Correct, an unmarked white Volvo estate with a camera in the back. It was so hard to spot, two coppers there, not wearing high vis. jackets. Oh I wish I had a camera to take a picture. Is this allowed!!!!

Shame they weren't in the same spot on the way back, as I would have shown them my ring piece (I wasn't driving and had a few blackthorns)

Cheers Phill C
Old 18 July 2001, 10:22 AM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

I still think we should put black paint on the lenses.
Old 18 July 2001, 11:33 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

In Texas they tried Speed cameras a few years ago but the drivers used them for target practice, and shot out all the lenses - police gave up that idea very quickly !!!
Old 18 July 2001, 01:14 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

A few months ago, some public spirited people have put reflective tape on the back of two Gatsos near where I live - brilliant at night for warning of the approaching danger area. Strange that the police removed the tape within days, though Last month, someone did stack some tyres up against a Gatso and set them alight following an article in The Sun that this Gatso location was the most lucrative revenue-collector in Scotland. Police confirmed that the camera was undamaged (but it's still away for repair ).

Paint them dayglo, stop hiding them in trees, behind signposts, behind telegraph poles, then nobody can complain.

Old 18 July 2001, 01:28 PM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

I seem to recal that the speed cameras in Austrailia are day-glo.
Old 19 July 2001, 12:33 AM
ca
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that as soon as these cameras become high visibility, they will slow people down. Once they slow people down, the cameras will lose revenue. Once the cameras lose revenue, it will not be cost effective to maintain them and [fingers crossed] they should be removed.

That's the plan, anyway!

C

[This message has been edited by ca (edited 19 July 2001).]
Old 19 July 2001, 08:19 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Should be in normal police kit
(have a flashing light, reflective strips and a siren attached)

now if you are stuiped enough to speed past one of them you 1) deserve to have your licence taken away, or 2) are blind, so 1 still applies!!

robski
Old 19 July 2001, 08:32 AM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The more these devices are tucked away, out of sight of the unsuspecting driver, the more likely the driver is going to react later when eventually spotting the damn thing.

Surely these must only increase accident black spots unless they are made more visable!
Old 19 July 2001, 09:44 AM
networx
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by johnfelstead:
<B>what a brilliant idea Daz.

group Buy anyone? [/quote]

There's already a group buy going for the Geodesy call Networx Automotive on 01555 666 444 and mention ScobbyNet and you will get your Geodesy for £340.00 including delivery.
Old 19 July 2001, 01:23 PM
Scrappy-doo
Scooby Newbie

Wink

More cameras please! That should make me popular, but I do have a reason for this stance, however twisted it may be.

More cameras means the police get revenue from us "criminals". If they are using these devices they are probably not using others as much. Radar detectors are going to become illegal again, Geodesy units aren't. Therefore, being an owner of a geodesy unit ( and not associated with the co etc etc) I have less chance of being nicked than at present. Does that make sense?
Old 19 July 2001, 01:31 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Had to laugh yesterday when i saw several Gatso's in London with MCN stickers over the lense covers.
Totally agree with the day-glow paint but using the words 'give us your money' wrote on the back of the camera box.
Old 19 July 2001, 01:34 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Why don't we all chip in and buy a very small country and call it <B>"Scoobyland"</B>

Then we setup our own embassy in a bedsit and then get Diplomatic immunity.

That way they surely can't touch us can they ?? Bit expensive I know

Or should I return to the Stone I just came from...
Old 19 July 2001, 01:38 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Actually, thats quite a cunning plan, I like ir

Can it be a carribean island though.

So how much do we need each? £1,000,000 ?

robski
Old 19 July 2001, 01:40 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Talking

Maybe we should do what they have done on the A40 between Burford and Cheltenham - knock down all the cameras with a suitably large/armoured vehicle. It makes me laugh every time I drive down there