Sponsored by:

MY01 PPP Why bother ....

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 10:31 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Just been looking at the updated ScoobySport website and performance increases for a full SS exhaust system are about the same as a PPP, BUT roughly £1000 cheaper, add in the Subaru "End of August or maybe September but we dont know really " line and ScoobySport are on to a winner IMHO.
Old 17 July 2001, 10:42 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Does an exhaust system affect your warranty?
Old 17 July 2001, 10:51 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

I have just asked Scoobysport (via email) the same Q as JackClark. Now that the ECU is not removeable I am tempted to get a full Scoobysport exhaust as long as the warranty is not affected (plus any other mods up to the PPP cost
Old 17 July 2001, 11:24 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Guys

I'll think you will find that it will invalidate your warranty.

...sounds bl**dy good though and worth the money

Tim
Old 18 July 2001, 07:25 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I have got the PPP fitted to my car, and have compared dyno graphs of my car vs Pete's. You will still find that the gains from the exhaust system alone do not match the PPP.

Also figure in the fact that a full SS system including fitting is nearly £1000, so the saving is £650 not £1000. And as others have said you will of invalidated your warranty.

Dont buy the full exhaust thinking your car will match a PPP one. However if you are prepared to spend the extra £800-1000, then a Link added onto the full system will make a PPP beater

I will hopefully post some graphs in the near future of my car std, vs my car PPP and my car vs Pete's.

Jonathan
Old 18 July 2001, 08:37 AM
Toonman
Scooby Regular

I've often wondered why people bother with the PPP. Seems an awful lot of money, for not much extra performance. There are other ways for a lot less cash...
Old 18 July 2001, 09:09 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
For me it's the warranty then. See you in 3 years time Pete.
Old 18 July 2001, 09:55 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> Seems an awful lot of money, for not much extra performance

Warranty, driveability, and more torque. alot more than figures alone can state.

Greg
Old 18 July 2001, 03:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I agree with Gregh, the drivability is vastly increased and mid range torque is much better, that much better in fact that you hardly ever take the car over 6k as you pass most things easily and dont need to rag the b@lls off your car (but its still fun if you do )

Tony
Old 18 July 2001, 03:28 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Tony, Gregh,

You're assuming that the MY01 PPP is the same as the MY00 PPP...

Given that this is a different ECU and the car still has more cats, is it a valid assumption?

Just questioning...

Nick.
Old 18 July 2001, 03:35 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Nick

I have owned both MY99 PPP and now MY01 PPP. Mid range torque is a lot stronger.

Jonathan
Old 18 July 2001, 03:54 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Ive got a MY 01 with SS downpipe, centre, Prodrive b/box and de-cat. I am not going to discuss warranty but as all parts were fitted by my dealer I am, shall we say, 'content' with the situation.

I drove a PPP'd UK 300 last week at said dealer. Within 2 miles I was so glad I took the time to drive the car. There is no way it is better than mine. The guys from the dealer know my car is a lot faster than standard and we both had a 'knowing' smile,ie PPP is no better than the mods to my car. Bottom and top end felt worse and mid range felt very similar. There aint no way my car is being PPP'd. There was also less of a sense of involvement, noise etc.

As for 18's on standard MY01 suspension, I have been considering this for a while. Not going to bother at the moment; turn in is better but it pronounces the soft back end even more than on 17's.

Overall, glad I drove the PPP'd UK 300 and even gladder I did not wait for one and saved pots of cash.

Sti7 next, with a visit to Mr Croney rather than Banbury!!
Old 18 July 2001, 04:08 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stevie:
<B>
There was also less of a sense of involvement, noise etc.
[/quote]

Great, that was what I wanted to hear.
PPP for me then.

Any other quiet mods I should know about? Can't be doing with all that noise or a hard ride. If I want that I'll take the Elise.

Old 18 July 2001, 04:29 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

BT52b,

An Elise as well for an involving drive?

The gods obviously shine on you and your bank balance!!

On a serious note, it was bloody nice and quick. I guess for your need it would be ideal.

I have to confess to thinking about a Westfield/Caterham for track and weekend excursions.As well as the Scoob.
Old 18 July 2001, 05:17 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Stevie

Certainly the power graphs do not show the full SS with more top end power, and certainly less torque throughout the mid to top end. The full system does have an advantage very low down. FYI my car made 255bhp on a very warm day vs 243bhp for Petes SS equiped car on a coolish day. Driving a hardly run in Uk300 and comparing it with your car is hardly a great comparision. My car only has 2000 miles on it now and feels a lot nicer in just the last 400 miles. Now if I add the downpipe as well !!

Jonathan
Old 18 July 2001, 05:30 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just been speaking to Scoobysport about their full system for the 01, they have had a car on the rollers (car had only done 1200 miles) and it made 244 bhp and an extra 22lbft of torque. And all for about £800! (this all sounds very similar to the PPP doesn't it?)

I then called my dealer to see if they would be prepared to order and fit said article and also support the warranty......they will let me know....and I'll let you know as soon as I hear!

Cheers,
Darren.

PS have a look at the graphs for yourself at:
Old 18 July 2001, 05:50 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

One thing to take into account is that most of the UK300's with PPP's will have tight engines. It was true with the MK1 and seems to be more so with the MK2 that after 5-7K miles the car loosens up considerably.
I suspect one would find a greater performance differential with two well run in cars, as opposed to a standard run in one, and a PPP'd brand new one.
Old 18 July 2001, 05:54 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

I accept that but I was expecting to be impressed. I have never had a PPP'd Impreza and wondered what all the fuss was about. After the drive I was still left wondering, that's all.

My dealer and I also agreed that to do everything, ie full exhaust system, de-cat and PPP was the only way to improve the PPP over a full SS exhaust. Seems a lot of money to spend on the car when the brakes and suspension will then need changing.

I am just happy as it is and am not fussed by PPP.
Old 18 July 2001, 06:13 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Darren

By the time you have paid to have the full SS system fitted and kept the VAT man happy, the price is more than £800.

My comparision is my car on and Pete Croneys car on the same rolling road. I overlayed the graphs and looked at the difference. It is different. There is more torque and power from a PPP car.

I will get a comparison graph posted as promised in the near future. Hopefully at the next dyno shootout we can have a full SS car and my PPP car. Anyone booked in yet ?

Stevie

I accept your point of view, as with your exisiting mods it would hardly blow you away. With the downpipe changed the quicker and earlier spool up of the turbo will make your car more responsive.

Jonathan
Old 18 July 2001, 06:27 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Wink

But what if you've got both

I've just had my first service and am getting to know the car. I've got the Prodrive backbox and SS centre, and in a week or so i will have the downpipe.

The power delivery on the new car is different to the old, but my car is as quick as my old RB5 with full SS at the moment with only 900miles. It still feels abit tight and slows up at about 6500rpm but pace between 3500 and 6000 is blistering. So i have no doubt that when i've done about 3000miles and with the downpipe on, it will blitz the RB5.

Scott

Oh, and it handles better too

[This message has been edited by RB5SCOTT (edited 18 July 2001).]
Old 18 July 2001, 08:51 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

Same as dteagles,
my local dealer is prepared to supply and fit Scoobysport downpipe, 2 piece centre and back box and is confirming warranty situation tommorow. Scoobysport are quoting less than £800 for the full system fitted inc VAT, dealer will probably charge a small delivery fee but it is the route i am going rather than PPP.

Now who knows about modified ECU's Motec,Link etc.....

simon.
Old 18 July 2001, 09:36 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,
I will have to wait and see re the price through the dealer, however, when I come to sell/trade-in my car I should have a reasonable asset (i.e. the full exhaust system) to either swap over to the next car or sell separately. I would have gone for the PPP if the ECU had been a swap and hence removable on sales/trade-in.

Another area for comment: as the new ecu has a learning capability what does the PD ecu do other than increase the boost pressure at any given point? With a full SS system on the engine will be less strssed than standard due to better flow characteristics, with the PPP (and increased boost) presumably the stresses are marginally high? It's stretching the point a bit but do you see what I mean?

Darren.
Old 18 July 2001, 11:37 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Sorry I correct myself, Simon and Darren you are correct re the price.

To a point you also have an asset to sell, if you remove the system and sell it when you sell the car. At the same time IMHO, and different to the MY00 and earlier, the PPP will keep a good premium. With all the press about the MY01, a good percentage of buyers will look for PPP cars due to the extra weight and dulled performance. So whilst the PPP costs 1600, you wont lose all of that in depreciation.

Darren

Your point about a stressed engine. I'm not an ECU expert, but a full decatted system is going to make the engine run leaner, due to better breathing. Is that any less stressfull than running 2psi more boost when combined with better/correct fueling ?. Plus if you still have a warranty, who gives a crap if it expires ?. Plus the PPP has more power and torque as well to boot.

Jonathan

Old 19 July 2001, 12:56 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BT52b:
<B>Can anyone tell me what the overall diameters of the UK300 wheels are compared to the WRX including the tyre profiles?

Because if it is bigger then that will make the standard gearing very relaxed indeed won't it?

Would it be enough for a WRX with PPP to feel more of an accelerative surge than the UK300?[/quote]

Std MY01 215/45x17 = 626mm dia
UK300 225/40x18 = 637mm dia

So a worn out 225/40x18 P zero rosso is the same diameter as a std tyre. Even new, it doesn't make zippo difference - we are running UK300 wheels/tyres on Carolyn's car.

Old 19 July 2001, 02:22 AM
DuggE
Scooby Regular

Stevie : if you're thinking of buying a car for track days at the w/e then you might want to consider a new range of sports car that is going to be launched in the autumn. See
Old 19 July 2001, 02:24 AM
DuggE
Scooby Regular

that should have come out
Old 19 July 2001, 10:03 AM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,
Looks like it's swings and roundabouts!

I'll wait and see what the dealer says first, I must admit that both Prodrive and Scoobysport know what they are doing, my concern is that you don't get the full value out of the £1600 for the PPP unless you consider the warranty position (i.e. the portability of the warranty vs. a warranty supported only by your local dealer).

I'm not saying that the PPP is/is not better than a full SS system, but that it's far easier to identify the 'value'. Maybe, as you say most second hand buyers will look for cars that have had the PPP and hence the used value will be somewhat higher, but we will have to wait and see!
Old 19 July 2001, 11:12 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

Can anyone tell me what the overall diameters of the UK300 wheels are compared to the WRX including the tyre profiles?

Because if it is bigger then that will make the standard gearing very relaxed indeed won't it?

Would it be enough for a WRX with PPP to feel more of an accelerative surge than the UK300?