Sponsored by:

Got Lucky Today.

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 06:46 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one had this happen.
Going to work this morning at 6:30am. Approaching a sharp left hand bend with a right hand junction (which I need) on the corner. I start to slow down and indicate right when from around the left comes a "v" reg Astra. The other driver starts to turn but nothing happens apart from hitting a crash barrier in front of him. He then bounces of the barrier spins 180 degrees into the middle of the road and missing me by about 3-4feet
We both got out and had a look at the area and it appears there was an accident there during the previous evening which subsequently left an oil slick on the corner.The police had tried to soak up the oil with some granules of some sort, but with the rain it had washed most of it away.
Coming home from work tonight it looks as though there may have been another accident in the same spot because the crash barrier is now even more flatten with about 2 tonnes of sand trying to soak up the oil.
Some of you may know that I didn't need that kind of wake up call in the morning.
Old 18 July 2001, 07:05 PM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

Glad you weren't hurt.

Had a similar thing happen to me twice - I was walking round a tight left hander (pavement on left). Car comes hurtling round corner, guy lifts off...... missed me by a couple of feet. Didn't sleep for weeks. Bloke was p1ssed too

Next time I was driving

Roundabout had oil/diesel all over it. Understeered off followed by a really nice 90 degree rotation into the path of the on coming traffic

I must of only missed the first car by feet before planting it firmly in the hedge. First three cars went past before someone came and got me out....

All happened at under 30mph. Absolutely amazing how much damage was done. Thought about how much damage could have been done for days......

What really p1ssed me off later was that the police new there was oil on the road (and I lost my no claims :mad .
Old 18 July 2001, 09:48 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I hit an oil slick on a corner last November causing the scoob to spin off into the hedge I was only doing about 40mph round a corner that you can normally take at 50-60 in the dry... Fortunately no one else was about at the time. So after climbing out and looking at the superficial £2000 worth of damage , I drove out of the hedge and made it home almost in one piece although very shaken...
Old 18 July 2001, 11:01 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine came off his bike in a similar situation in 95. 30 limit, he was going about 25, came to a corner where (1) there'd been a diesel spillage the previous day, (2) there was a burst water main and (3) the council had therefore seen fit to put down some gravel 'to make it safer'.

Needless to say, no fault on his part, fortunately he didn't hit anyone (nor get hit) but he used his legal expenses cover to sue the council. And won a few grand (despite being a student, with no loss of income, on a bike worth £1,500).

So spend that £10 extra a year on your premium - it's not much, and if you need it and haven't taken it out, you'll miss it!

Simon
Old 18 July 2001, 11:14 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

[Double post]

[This message has been edited by SJobson (edited 18 July 2001).]