Sponsored by:

At Knife Point

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2001, 09:23 PM
David 1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

When parking up the scoob last monday night, The police pulled up in front of me. I got out the car and was approached by an officer.
He asked me my name and who was the regestered owner, told me there was nothing to worry about and then continued to tell me about a number of cases where drivers of impreza turbos have been held at knife point for the keys! He then jumped back into the omega and left.

Anyone heard about these cases?

Or was he just trying to scare me out of the driving seat of the scoob because of my age?
(check username)

David
Old 15 July 2001, 09:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Oh God, another **** 'em up story!!

I saw the boogie man last nite I am sure he was following me home to steal my keys!! he can bl00dy well have them!! a good thrashing might sought out the hesitation and clutch judder?

Knife point?? hope he was a big bugger - he would look really stupid with a knife sticking out his 4rse - ignore all these scare stories ....... please???? if its going to happen then it will .... if you are 10 stone then you are a target whatever you drive.

Pete
Old 15 July 2001, 09:50 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

are you sure that was all the police said.?? I was stopped 2 yrs ago and they gave a very full explanation and were most helpful woth advice.
there job is not to scare people but to reassure,reduce crime and police sensibly. if they truly did what you said ring your local police station and ask for a full explanation.
I am sure people do get mugged for the car, a family in brum had there merc knicked last week at gun point but it is a rare occurence.
sleep well.
Old 15 July 2001, 10:24 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Angry

..oh bollox - I'm gonna have to agree with Pete Lewis on this one
If they're up to 17 stone and 6ft 5 then they're fair game and gonna get the living **** kicked out of em - any bigger than that then they're bigger than me and they can keep the keys

Old 16 July 2001, 04:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well I am quite pleased with myself - I am now down to 17 stone 5lbs!!! yippee!!

8 weeks ago I was 19 stone and 5lbs

I am now starting to **** myself - if I get any smaller I will get the Scoob nicked by some baseball capped, stupid haircut, spotty herbert with love and hate on the knuckles!! - should I put the weight back on?? HELP!!!!

Pete
Old 16 July 2001, 04:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

All this bravado is commendable, but tell this to the poor guy who had his P1 stolen at knifepoint from a hotel by a gang of b4stards with assorted tools of the trade...

Or a local girl who was threatened by two masked guys with a baseball bat in her own home for the keys? Thankfully her young daughter wasn't in the house...

Or the guy I know in bradford who had his house systematically ransacked whilst he was upstairs for the keys to his 11 day old Scooby. They nicked his brother's nova which was blocking it in, too.

Or me. Someone attempted to break into our house last year whilst we were in. Police think it was for the car keys. I keep a pickaxe handle under the bed...

Or Scoobabe? Or Fast Bloke...

A timely reminder to take care is a good one, so why ridicule someone for sharing their experience? If you think twice and check you're not being followed home, and think about security a little bit more, surely only good can come? It may save you hassle that no-one, no matter how hard you are, needs.

OK, scare stories are one thing, but this ain't one of them. Someone says that the police told him to take care. It's fair advice I'd say.
Old 16 July 2001, 05:02 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I received a letter from the Police saying that in the Northampton area owners of Evo/Scoobies had been held up/robbed etc and to be extra vigilant.

It's unlikely they'd go to those lengths just to **** you up.

Take care out there.
Old 16 July 2001, 05:21 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

I phoned a M/Cycle dealer up today, it had happened to him (Manchester).

Let's not have any heroics, I'd hate to see a "Scooby Owner Stabbed to death" thread!

Mike.
Old 16 July 2001, 06:21 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

This happened to one of our drivers last Tuesday AM

He started to give one of the little tw@ts a clump when he got kicked from behind, knocked over, had a knife held to his throat & told not to be a stupid c***.

He agreed with the man.

The thiefs were young asians & small to boot. Our chap is 6'+, well built & could probably handle himself no probs - well I wouldn't want to ruck with him...

At the end of the day, its not worth it. Get a tracking device fitted - hand over the keys, dial 999 & wait to get your car back.

And I don't care if its Navtrak or something else - just do it. Then we might end up seeing a few more ******* in the nick where they belong.
Old 16 July 2001, 06:41 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Two years ago, this happened to me, Had the car two days, pulled up to a red light [6pm], both doors were wrenched open, Big guy flashed a knife, Me and a mate just got out of the car and watched it drive away, Found 2 days later, write off

B@stards

Andy A
Old 16 July 2001, 06:49 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Would it have helped if your doors were locked ?

Some American cars (+ luxury UK cars) automatically lock their doors after a minute driving.. (particularly useful given that some cars boots like Jags are part of the central locking and easy pickings at traffic lights)
Old 16 July 2001, 07:06 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Worrying isn't it?

My own experience has certainly made me more safety conscious. Reading about other people's means that I don't start to get lazy.

You can't eliminate risk altogether, but there are certain precautions we can all take to minimise it.

Take care everyone,

Amanda
Old 16 July 2001, 07:16 PM
ChrisB

I'm sure the std. Subaru alarm / immob on my MY99 Turbo will lock the doors five seconds after the engine is started.

You turn it on via the keypad I think.

ChrisB.
{Off to find my alarm manual}
Old 16 July 2001, 07:17 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidBrown:
<B>Would it have helped if your doors were locked ?

Some American cars (+ luxury UK cars) automatically lock their doors after a minute driving.. (particularly useful given that some cars boots like Jags are part of the central locking and easy pickings at traffic lights)[/quote]

Some dodgy Japanese cars do this too, if you have the Subaru/Sigma alarm programmed appropriately
Old 16 July 2001, 07:41 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

After that.. My doors now lock 10 seconds after i turn the key and unlock when i turn it off!

Andy
Old 16 July 2001, 07:47 PM
bren simpson
Scooby Regular

er...you Scooby boys can have all the attention now, Ill stick to my "old hat" and "outdated" Cossy thankyou very much

Bren
Old 16 July 2001, 09:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm NOT saying dont be aware of these things but I am sure its just like having anything happen to you - it could be you, it could be someone else, life is a ****.

I am also NOT saying 'have a go' - do not even try to get a knife off someone if you have never tried it before .... but you can get the knife (you may get cut) and start a little war of your own - if you feel lucky, well? do YA punk?!!

Dont lose sleep though - its just a lump of metal ... they are welcome to mine if they want it! ... just DONT let me have it back again!

Pete
Old 17 July 2001, 04:03 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Most clifford G4 alarms (one of which i have) comes with auto blackjack system. i.e when the engine is turned on , the blackjack system locks doors automatically and unlocks them when the engine is turned off. That little bit of extra security for when your at traffic lights.. etc. You just never know.
Old 17 July 2001, 08:13 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Well said Puff.

Scaryest bloke I know on this earth is about 5'6", and probably about 9st max. Hes an american major (air force) and is the highest dan black belt in just about every martial art going.

He is the sort of bloke that just about anyone would pick on, especially down a dark alleyway. They wouldnt walk out the other end unless there was like more than 40 of them, but even then I wouldnt fancy their chances.

Normal mortals should just hand the keys over, and call the police (maybe they aint so bad after all?) Just count yourself lucky you wernt somewhere where they just shoot you first, then steal your trainers or car (whatever they are after)

be safe peeps

robski
Old 17 July 2001, 08:41 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Every car I've ever owned has had a device for locking the doors after I am safely seated inside.

Works a treat for stopping doors/boot whatever being opened without my consent.

Its called my hand

It works by using one of its fingers to press the "LOCK" button, usually found on the door panel inside (although sometimes on the dash)

Simple to use, generally standard fit

I'm not in any way knocking the seriousness of this thread, but COME ON. You don't need to programme your alarm to do this people. Common, secure, sense.

Oh, and a good friend of mine who works for the emergency services has never had a problem getting someone out of a locked car.

D
Old 17 July 2001, 10:34 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by robski:
<B>Scaryest bloke I know on this earth is about 5'6", and probably about 9st max. Hes an american major (air force) and is the highest dan black belt in just about every martial art going.[/quote]Doesn't make him invincible though. Gangs only attack in single file in the movies, in real life they just pile in leaving you no chance - just look at some of the recent riot footage in Bradford.

And a bodyguard course will teach you just how much use fists and feet are against sharp knives & handguns.

The best way out of this is to avoid the confrontations. Use your eyes and your brain. Keep your doors locked, don't get out of the car and make sure you're not followed or jumped when you go back to it.
Old 17 July 2001, 05:44 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Hos, Blackjax is the anti-hijack system, only std spec on the 600 and above, option on the others. If the doors are opened whilst the engine is running then closed (and something else but it escapes me) then after a few yards once the brake is pressed it stays on until the car stops, it then immobilzis itself and sounds the alarm.

The actual door locking whilst engine is running is on all Clifford alarms, and has nothing to do with the Blackjax.

Well, that's how mine works anyway.

Matt.
Old 17 July 2001, 06:10 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It is worrying, but no more so than the likelyhood that some tosser is going to crash into us head on at 50 mph. Anythings possible, you just need to be vigilant in avoiding it. For instance, when I used to go into central manchester for a drink with my mates...we would use taxis, two of my mates had M3s and I had my scoob...therefore the likelyhood that unless it was parked up in front of our mates club and looked after by the doorman, it would either be vandalised or missing when we got back. We then decided Wilmlsow was a much better night spot.

If someone comes at you for your car/its keys/your wallet...then *most* will not think twice about giving you a slap, or worst...and occasionally you will get the coward who does not want confrontation and leaves you alone. Think about how much courage you have-then realise you need bundles of fear to make that courage count. It does take a bigger man to walk away with his pride in tact than it does to stand up and be counted or become a statistic.IMHO you should never fight unless there is no other option (your lifes in danger, your girlfriends in danger) Unless you were at a school where you used to fight like cat and dog after lessons during breaktime or you actually are trained in self defence to a fairly competent level..its not even worth thiking about having a pop back. A friend of mine was stabbed in the leg with a screwdriver outside a kebab shop because he laughed at this bloke that dropped his burger. It makes you think, WTF is someone carrying a screwdriver for? Many purposes but having the ***** to actually knife someone/draw a knife/ or threaten them with an offensive weapon normally shows that there is something missing in their mental bank. Keep your doors locked and about ten yards between you and the car in front in traffic....if someone does try to jack you, get on the phone straight away, call 999 and get on the horn and flash the lights rev the engine....attract loads of attention and try to get out of the situation.

I was told this when I started driving by a traffic officer after my sister was persued by some dodgy ******* in her car:

As long as you are reporting it to the Police and you feel your life is at risk-You are allowed to use neccesary force to get away from them-Not doing 130 in a 30 but if you need to jump a red light safely-then do so, with the consideration of other road users in mind. Get somewhere safe, head for a Police Station or whatever is nearest...Fire Station, Hostpital. Keep the Police informed and drive safely. Get people attention if you can.

Its not gospel, but having said that-what else can you do if you think your lifes in danger? Unless you carry a piece, the only option is to runaway like a big girl screaming!

One other thing, if people are seriously concerned about having their cars nicked off them....get Mondeos or something less attractive. Its one the first things I thought about when I got mine. That said, no ******* would try to nick my motor off me.

R