accident repair question

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2002, 08:35 AM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Some **** in a beemer reversed into my front end on Friday night. Overshot the line at some traffic lights, me behind him leaves him a gap to reverse into, he starts reversing but doesn't stop till he hits me. Said he couldn't see for the sun, Why the F**k did he start reversing then? At least he has admitted it was entirely his fault (although I had a spleepless weekend wondering if he was going to say I drove into the back of him as I had no witnesses). Anyway my question is this, which body shop should I use? The one that is used to repairing scoobys recommended by SGT or the one the insurance company say I should use which will dramatically speed up the claim as they won't have to send out an assessor. There isn't a massive amount of damage, bumper, headlight, foglight etc and I need it doing quickly cos I'm taking it to the SIDC isle of Man bash. The insurance companys bodyshop is a very good one and the guy said he has repaired scoobys before, am I worrying needlessly?
Old 21 August 2002, 09:05 AM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

If thay are you insurance companies approved bodyshop, you can rest assured that the quality of their work has been varified. as long as you ensure that you tell them if you have any special requirements then all should be well. ask you insurance company if they run a feedback system on work carried out there. If they do then mention it to the bodyshop when you drop the car off. This will show them that you intend to make comments on their work and will ensure that they pay a bit more attention to detail.

Good luck.
Old 21 August 2002, 09:47 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

I personally would take the car to a Subaru Garage that has a full qualified repair facility, the main point being is you dont know what happens when your car is away being repaired at an insurance repair facility, ie is it getting ragged by one of the guys there to see how quick it is?
The other point being is that Subaru repair facilities have these cars in all the time and are attached to the garage so they know how quick these cars are and they probably have much less of a chance of doing this. (unless your car is a grey import then you will have to send it to an insurance approved facility as i doubt if a UK subaru garage will repair your car).

Tony
Old 21 August 2002, 09:51 AM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

ASurly you can overcome this by taking a note of the mileage when dropping it off. If they are performing bodywork then there is no requirement for them to roadtest the car.
Old 21 August 2002, 10:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Its pretty easy to disconnect the speedo you know
But put yourself in the shoes of some young lad who see's a car like that, they do actually take them out without owners knowing about it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] even if its for the sandwich run....
The only downside about taking your car to a subaru dealer to get it fixed is that you may not get a courtesy car (you have to ask for one) but you will get people who work on this type of car more than other accident repair places. (and if there is something wrong its easier to go back to your dealer to get it sorted!)

Tony
Old 21 August 2002, 04:20 PM
Shorla
Scooby Regular

With my insurance company they said take it to whoever you like and just send us a bill-said they didnt bother with an assessment, who you with??
Old 21 August 2002, 04:25 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Mine was in for repair recently however despite going to the dealer for a quote it was actually done at a repair centre down the road where they send all their cars. Whilst one does hear of the cars been taken out on mad road runs I suspect the chances of it happening to an individual are remote. As well as taking a note of the milometer reading if you take the car in with very petrol they won't be going far!
Old 21 August 2002, 04:44 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

If for example a MY01/02 was damaged would it have to be repaired at a Subaru dealer to keep the paint/body part of the warranty in place?