Whats Scooby like in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2001, 02:10 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all.

Ok, the scooby is a rally car... but what is it like to drive in the snow? I mean.. 205 tyres is not narrow.

Old 13 July 2001, 02:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I had huge amounts of fun in the snow - drive/steering it on the throttle.
Yep, 205s are a bit wide but i cannot afford snow tyrees and besides the snow was only in Northampton for about a week - great week thou'

Paul
Old 13 July 2001, 02:21 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

<B>FUN</B>

205's are a problem in slush/deep snow.
I've only tried Hakka 2 (fully studded) in 205/50x16...and the grip is *amazing* on packed stuff.

It's very prone to go sideways, which is nice.

/J
Old 13 July 2001, 02:22 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Better than any BMW that's for sure, despite all their advertising stuff about rear wheel drive being the best way to propel something forwards. Maybe in perfect conditions.
Would have thought there was more chance of finding out where you live, don't get too much down here but experiences so far, though limited, have been better than all the FWD's and RWD's I've had over the last 20 years.
Old 13 July 2001, 02:23 PM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

**** got stuck in 4 inches of snow at lochearn head .car needs thin snow tyres
ssubaru
Old 13 July 2001, 02:31 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Uphill, flat, no problem.

Downhill, oh my God, a twenty grand unstoppable sledge!
Old 13 July 2001, 02:41 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

aye - i can imagine it turning into a sledge...
i live at the top of a steep hill.. and have to pass over another higher hill range on the way to work.

perhaps thinking ahead to snow tyres would be ideal - but we only get snow about 15 days a year (that i have to drive in)

cant wait untill it snows and i find empty car parks

Old 13 July 2001, 02:44 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
You wanna see what Scoobys are like in the snow???!!! Have a look at the Scoobs at Brunters in the snow feature on my website below.........it's under the features section!!!

Regards,
Shaun.

For FORD stuff, including other useful info
Old 13 July 2001, 02:46 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

The road through or estate was not gritted, and turn into a solid sheet of ice. Very interesting to drive. No traction whatsoever in a P1.

On the main roads, with less snow, great fun. You can learn a great deal, if you don't hit a solid object first.

Josh
Old 13 July 2001, 02:53 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Shaun
that looks SUPERB fun!
i wonder if scoobynet would consider holding a meet in the winter - with experts on hand to give tips.

a VERY high turnout would be for definate!
only thing is - getting it to snow at the right time.

Old 13 July 2001, 03:27 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Pah, winter...in Great Britain...?

You guys need some proper winter...
Old 13 July 2001, 03:31 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

ABS becomes a liability on snow... I pull my ABS fuse before driving in it.
Old 13 July 2001, 03:32 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Its not bad really - better than most things not four wheel drive, in spite of wide tyres.

Not as good as my Range Rover in thick snow obviously.

Had nasty moment last winter driving up slippery icy hill. Came to a Halt - started sliding backwards. Had to ease right off and steer for the bank. Then managed to turn car and drive slowly down, hugging the gutter for grip.

Fantastic donuts in car park.

JD
Old 13 July 2001, 03:32 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Getting going in snow isn't any problem at all - shocking amount of traction (on snow, not ice)
However, slowing down is not quite such a piece of cake...
Old 13 July 2001, 04:02 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Go skiing with a guy who runs a modded STi4 coupe - runs on Bridgestone 205-16 snow tyres, I'm on 215/45-17s Winter Ice from Pirelli. We have a great time, these cars are pretty unstoppable on snow or ice with good snow tyres. The natural balance of the cars makes life pretty easy.

Oh - and when it comes time to stop, they do all right - with ABS (sorry Moray).

Cheers.
Old 13 July 2001, 04:02 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Tyres make the biggest difference, if you want real progress get snow/winter tyres, I promise you'll be amazed.
BTW I've a BMW523i and just went through a reasonable winter here and with good snow tyres and traction control you can handle most things. It was always better than my wifes C4 996 without snow tyres.
I don't think an ordinary tyre shod 4WD gives as big an advantagein snow as snow tyres on FWD or RWD car, 4WD and snow tyres is of course what you need. Traction control then gets you up the hills.

Regards
Cammy
Old 13 July 2001, 05:18 PM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

Last winter the road south of Aberdeen was a sheet of ice one evening, on the way home from work, climbing a slight incline, a 5 series BM ahead of me was slithering across the road, my wagon remained in control and pulled away no problems.

I totally agree with other posts on this thread regarding winter tyres, I lived in Norway for a while and could not believe the difference these tyres (studded) made.
Old 13 July 2001, 06:16 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

AJbaseBloke,

I would expect a car shod with winter tyres to allow the ABS to work better on snow.

Mind you, you did say these cars were pretty unstoppable... ?

Does your mate with the STI 4 Coupe (which would be a Type R) have ABS? You imply both cars do have ABS and that would make it a fairly rare type R with no centre diff control, no IC waterspray.

On standard 205/50 R16 SO2 PP's my car stops better on snow with the ABS disabled... mind you, those tyres are far from ideal for those (rare in the UK) conditions and I would argue that a small fwd car with very thin profile tyres would be safer in the snow than _my_ scooby on so2s, IMHO.

Moray
Old 13 July 2001, 08:24 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Talking

This was discussed recently here too -
Old 13 July 2001, 08:43 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Talking

There are different types of snow tyres, the ones we use in SW Germany don't have metal studs. The rubber blocks on the tyres are much bigger e.g. 8-9mm deep and the blocks are slashed across the tyre in a zig zag fashion. It looks like they probably spread apart slightly when friction and weight are applied and then grip the snow like that.
They run fine on normal roads but wear about 30% quicker than normal and are worn out at 4mm of tread. they are limited to 185KMPH so no big autobahn blasting on them.

Regards
Cammy

[This message has been edited by camk (edited 13 July 2001).]
Old 13 July 2001, 08:45 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I drive in the Alps four or five weeks a year.

Took the Scoob to Switzerland in March. Tyre width is not an issue, entirely depends on tread pattern. For performance tyres, S02 or similar, an open tread pattern clears itself nicely and works well on snow. On pure winter tyres, these work quite well on dry roads - but not, obviously, as well as a performance tyre. They are not a snow tyre as such, but a hybrid to give the best all round winter performance. All the continentals use them in the Alps in winter.
Old 13 July 2001, 09:17 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

The ABS of my early car was a real problem down hills. Otherwise Fine.

Wide tyres are not good if you live in a serious snow place, swithc to skinny with studs.

Its nice to go out and play rally divers mind you!!!!
Old 16 July 2001, 02:00 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

A load of us did a Midlands run in the snow in Febuary it was only medium snowfall but everyone still turned up a did the run.
Old 16 July 2001, 04:06 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry Moray - bit of clarification and an apology coming your way.

M8's car is in fact non-ABS (w/the fancy torque split dial) - he has more "fun" than I do in the B4!! What I meant: ABS+snow tyres = good combo (at least on a B4). Hope that clears that up...

And I have to say I'd probably never have to worry about the snow&ice&summer tyre situation as I am a coward and would not drive in those conditions!! Did once in Texas after an ice storm some years ago - I was traumatised by it - yank tanks at speed , handling even worse than usual (and me doing v-max without sliding off the road, diving onto footpaths - empty ones of course - to avoid stuff coming from all directions) - the UK would be better of course, and Tokyo is a touch better prepared but scary enough.

As for perf of snow tyres on tarmac - they are not great, but how much of a compromise you make depends on what you choose, natch - the intermediate option like the Pirellis I run are OK - but forget high speed "sporty" driving - and you have to add some safety zone for braking, but things are getting better all the time.

Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-03s were absolutely brilliant on snow and heaps better than my current Pirellis on ice (no studs allowed here anymore), but mushy on tarmac.

Coz I spend a goodly amount of time on the expressway to the snow, and less time actually on it, I took the intermediate route.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by AJbaseBloke (edited 16 July 2001).]
Old 16 July 2001, 06:47 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I drove down to the Alps this year (and around) on 205/55 16 H SnowProxes

(BTW you CAN'T get V-rated in this size. But the insurance co were fine once you spoke to someone knowledgeable)

These produce WAY more grip in slush/wet/ice than standard tyres, (particularly noticeable under braking) yet perform fine in the dry. Despite averaging 110mph (apart from Switzerland) over most of 2,500 miles there was virtually no wear. They are definitely softer/squirmier than dry tyres, but not excessively so (and you don't want to push it in those conditions anyway). And as an added bonus the road noise was less than RE010s, and the tramlining went away. Ride quality was good too.

I also had the pleasure(?) of testing the standard tyres in the snow over Christmas. Braking is less than great but better than appalling, PROVIDING you stay progressive and keep just below the ABS threshold. If you don't you just sail on..unnerving!

The most revealing thing was "making progress" along a dual-carriageway that was clear of snow, round a two-lane roundabut that was clear of snow..to find the outside lane of the exit road was half-snow, half-slush. Fighting my instincts I kept the throttle on, there was a momentary twitch as if the diffs were thinking, and then the scoob just zoomed off, completely stable. And this was on OE tyres.

Awesome car!
Old 16 July 2001, 11:30 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

With standard tyres......
Absolutely steaming c**p ...... Snow tyres for me this year.....

m.

Ps. The peugeot (mi16 x4 )is better....
Old 17 July 2001, 02:07 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

aha.. Scooby in the snow... well, uhm, simply unbeatable. Sportauto (a very good german mag) testdrove on a small circuit with snow... the 2001WRX won.

The other 4wd contenders;
BMW330xi
Audi RS4
VW Bora V6 4motion
EVO6
Porsche911 turbo

All on wintertyres, the WRX stood on Bridgestone WT05 215/45/17

They mentioned the ABS on the WRX performed very well in these conditions. It seemed to be perfectly adjusted for snow and ice.