Sponsored by:

Embarrased by a VW Borra TDI !!

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2002, 01:23 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I was very suprised to be caught off guard by a VW Borra TDI.

I was behind a slow van in top or 4th just waiting for the road to clear so I could over take and the said VW was behind.
When the road cleared, I got on the gas just about to over take in 4th when this bloodly diesel came up along side and passed me and the bloody van!!
When I realised he was going to over take me I didnt det enough time to drop down 3rd, and he was past!

I guess it wouldn't have happened if I had of been in 3rd and floored it, but those things must have serious low down torque.

Got past him on the next straight and made sure I got the right gear that time!

Just goes to show what happens when we get caught off boost!!

D
Old 15 August 2002, 01:31 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Red face

I was nearly embarassed by a Golf TDi the other day, and i wasn't off boost, but i didn't get going as quickly as him because i didn't think i needed to. Wrong! As you say, they're not slow, though i don't believe that Golf was standard, it was really quite quick.

But just to make sure, i've had Unichip and Dawes since. Different rules now...
Old 15 August 2002, 01:38 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

When I was driving from Ullapool to Lochinver on my hols (nice twisties) I had a blue TDI bora maintaining the exact same distance behind me (a very safe 100m) No matter what speed I cruised at he maintained the same distance. After a wee bit of fast cruising I came to a particularly enjoyable section of the road and decided to see what scoobies on twisties is all about. For 10 minutes I drove pretty much hell for leather (no other cars around before you all start) and just before I began to back off I could see said bora (who had tried to keep up) was now a spec about 1/2 a mile down the road. I dropped back and it took him a fair while to catch back up.

But yet, oil burners can catch you off guard for a few moments.
Old 15 August 2002, 01:45 PM
Fat Boy Slim
Scooby Regular

Spend loads of time on the motorways with work, and these sorts of Rep mobiles are every where, with a standard scooby they would give me a run for my money in 4th and 5th on straight acceleration, they have loads or Torque. Now with mods they are not a problem at all..................
Old 15 August 2002, 01:50 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I've warned about these before - especially the more recent Pump Duse ones - you can tell because the DI bit of the TDI badge on the boot is red - from memory the 150 bhp ones have around 230 ft/lb torque - at around 2000 rpm
Old 15 August 2002, 02:43 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Yea I always get VW TDI's trying to race me.
Old 15 August 2002, 03:35 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Thank god i thought it was just me who was suffering from problems with the VW TDi's.

I chased one down a (private) motorway last week and was very surprised at its turn of speed. Wasn't till i got to a ton that i could start to pull away.

I know that not a match on the twisties but then likewise scoobs don't do 45mpg!

Ali
Old 15 August 2002, 03:41 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dave,

Aha!! So it could have been standard then. 230lbs/ft torque???!!!

Blimey, no wonder it was quick. Never seen these things particularly hyped though, must be a well kept VW secret...
Old 15 August 2002, 03:43 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

You should see them here in Germany... I tend to cruise at around 100mph on the Autobahns (legal over here of course), and consistently get passed by TDi-powered vehicles doing around 115-120mph. I even got passed by a VW Caravelle (minibus Transit-type thing) doing around 115mph last weekend ! They do have masses of torque, but of course it all vanishes over 4000rpm

Cheers
Richard

[Edited by Re-Bitten Hero - 8/15/2002 3:46:43 PM]
Old 15 August 2002, 04:11 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Just opted out of the company car scheme and bought a MY02 Audi A4 Avant (ESTATE) 130 TDi Sport and it is impressive to say the least.

The 130 bhp version has about 210lbft i think at 2000rpm , The new golf 150 tdi is slightly higher.

The audis not that clever off the mark however once moving it certainly has some amusing pull to it.................

Its hysterical seeing peoples face when they look and its a diesel and and estate car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said all this it wouldnt come close to keeping up with the Type R.

Old 15 August 2002, 06:04 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Yep - I got shut of my P1 and got a Golf GTi PD150

I have no problems keeping up with many a car on the road. I have even dusted a MY01 REX too (obviously he was caught of guard). Put it this way scooby folks - if you are in 5th gear at 50mph I am too the 150 will initially leave your scooby for dead.

* Its comfy
* Leather
* 'Proper' Climate Control
* Costs £800 a year less to insure than the modded P1
* Huge Lift-off oversteer at < 20mph
* 500+ miles to a tank of diesel.
* Worth something after 3 years (how is losing 15K on a P1 after 18months)
* Nobody wants to hold me a gun point and steel it
* I don't care where I park it
* its a 'proper' Q Car - a scooby with a dustbin exhaust and neons is hardly sleath.

and best of all it tows a trailer with this on the back.

Ian

[Edited by igratton - 8/15/2002 6:05:38 PM]
Old 15 August 2002, 06:32 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Although to be fair, if you're doing 50 in 5th my wife on her push bike could catch you out

Old 15 August 2002, 06:37 PM
subster
Scooby Regular

I sometimes get past scoobies in my van when they're turning left and I am going straight on. I didn't know this mean't I was beating them. WICKED!
I'm off out to Asda car park to whip some scoobies @ss
Old 15 August 2002, 10:48 PM
importsti
Scooby Regular

not bragging but it is extremely rare that I'm caught in the wrong gear in my Sti V5. Low down toque is excellent. ON motorways over 70 mph I rarely ever drop into 4 th. Can see most cars off with gentle throttle press. For those who haven't try a 280/300bhp scoob. Magnificant cars.
Old 16 August 2002, 10:18 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've had a lot of experience in one of the fastest oil burner of them all the 330d and yes it is very impressive. The thing is though, all these cars can do is catch you with your pants down. The VTS can outdrag the 330d to 100mph (just) and is faster 30-70 through the gears. The key thing is that you have to work the VTS like mad to do this but in the BMW it feels like your not trying that hard - effortless!

Drop a cog in even a standard UK and you'll leave the TDI's behind. My uncle spent the whole holiday pulling a car length on me (A4 2.5TDi quattro) but I'd just sit patiently letting the revs rise and then reel him in
Old 16 August 2002, 10:51 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Watch out for Passat Tdi's aswell, there booked at 137mph top end

Old 16 August 2002, 11:34 AM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Yeah I agree Saxo Boy

Their burst of power is too short lived and it runs out real quick and then the scoobs take over!

Can't beat forced induction, high revs and bhp! (ignited by a spark!)

Oil is for heating your house not for running cars, in which drivers think they can get the better of a scooby.

Dont get me wrong there are advantages of oil burners but there are few when you try it on with a scooby cause you will ultimately loss! Despite the short lived moment of glory.

Old 16 August 2002, 11:43 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I guess I've got the best(ish) of both worlds - MY99 and a TDI PD 130.
The Golf certainly has a lot of shove and will surprise a lot of people. And it always does over 40 mpg.
Old 16 August 2002, 11:53 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Mungo

You're pretty much spot on IMHO as I've seen both sides of the fence but never owned both at the same time !

- Love my MY99 and respected my A4 V6 Tdi (185bhp)
- Ideal is a MY99 and a powerful diesel !

OR Give it about 2 years and there will be genuinely fun and fast diesels with the 'Evo' factor. Audi, VW etc are very nearly there
Old 16 August 2002, 12:13 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

You certainly wouldn't want to be caught napping at 50 mph if my 330d was around. Takes a standard Scoob a long long time to catch back up, by which time you'd be doing over 100 anyway, so it's pretty irrelevant.

It's even been known to outdrag modified Scoobs initially, especially if there are a number of people on board with luggage etc. It's all down to the torque. LOL

Matt

Old 16 August 2002, 12:41 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My uncle spent the whole holiday pulling a car length on me (A4 2.5TDi quattro) but I'd just sit patiently letting the revs rise and then reel him in
Wait until the revised 2.5 comes out.... or put it another way, look at the current 2.5, add all the latest technology to it and think how many ponies are going to come out of it. More impresive will be the torque figures. Don't think the 330d will be top oil burner anymore.
Old 16 August 2002, 01:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Prior to the A6 he had the A4 TDI Quattro (150bhp) and he got it superchipped. With the chip it was simply awsome but unfortunately the gearbox was big time grumbling so it was de-tuned a little. All that said though, as fast as it felt it still couldn't match a scooby. If your a lazy person and don't like dropping down gears for your power there isn't an petrol car to touch an oil burner.

I will almost certainly drive one in a few years time
Old 16 August 2002, 01:42 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the scooby has anything serious to worry about with the new breed of oil burners. I still love scoobys (I've had 3 modified turbos in the last 4 1/2 years - one of the first 150 SIDC Members, scoobynet since 1998 etc.)

I am just pointing out that for the money/economy/residuals etc. the new breed of diesels are not cars to be embarassed about owning.

Now for trackdays - well - I know I'd rather be driving our XTR2 anyday. 0-60 in 3.1secs 0-100 in < 9 secs, downforce, sequential box, significantly lower lap times, very low running costs etc.

And the beauty of all this is it costs less to run the Golf and Westfield than it did to run my P1. Now if that isn't the best of both worlds I don't know what is. The golf for everyday when its normal driving - and a missle for the track.

Ian.

PS: I Mr. Oz - well done for burning oil again. You need to bring your busa to bruntingthorpe when our car is ready - it will be interesting.
Old 16 August 2002, 02:29 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Looking forward to that already! My Busa will hit 196 at Brunters, showing approx. 215 on the clock. I'm not going to have a chance in the corners, but it'll be fun once it straightens out! Craig has my number, so I'll expect a call!

The oil burner is ace, and although I did love my Scoob, it's not a patch on the all round ability of the Bimmer!

Cheers
Matt
Old 16 August 2002, 11:39 PM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

All this oil burner talk is fine, and they are great at what they do, ie plod albeit rapidly nowerdays, but it's all about foot down in 5th gear etc, of course a petrol turbo in that gear at low speeds, whatever the make, will be off boost and struggle to pick up the pace, but in my experience, just shifting down a cog or two, (remember, it's called driving pleasure), consigns them to a speck in the rear veiw mirror. Be a Rep through the week by all means, but at the weekend try to DRIVE.
Old 17 August 2002, 12:32 AM
fmacario
Scooby Regular

Cool

OK let's see

For everyday use I have Audi A4 130TDI and it is quite good

But for FUN nothing replaces my WRX Prodrive!

MAC
Old 17 August 2002, 01:44 PM
scoobymanWRC
Scooby Regular

Yep. those pumpe duse TDI's can shift - Borrowed my mums Fabia PD TDI the other day -100bhp/180 LbFt torque and a nice flat wide torque curve, unlike many diesels

The other day the Elise driver in front of me was staring in his mirror in complete disbelief as i stayed glued to him from sixty to a ton up cruise in mums little shopping trolley! Just one of many surprised victims!

Top comedy value and 60 mpg
Old 18 August 2002, 12:09 AM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

MUST TRY HARDER !!!!!!!!

Come on Scooby owners, They are quick-ish but thats about it, nice to driver and economical, but a bit too conformist for me.

I raced one in my Golf GTI the other day (MK2 8 V) and it was identical performance with the 130 bhp, then cam a corner and I went round him on the outside, thats what decent suspension and a cheap supply of tyres does (Kumho Ecstas, well grippy, 22 quid plus fitting, miles better than my old Yoko 520's, wet or dry)

My bro in law has a Golf PD 130 and was getting cocky on the way to a family gathering, stuck up my chuff (T5), I went for it, he went for it and got murdered, looked like he was stood still !