Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2000, 12:59 AM
James Adlington
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably going sometime in April, the plan being to drive over on a Friday & back on Sunday night. I'm trying to pursuade a few freinds to come along (partly to show them how good the scooby is ), so I'm trying to get organised early.

This will be my first trip - any other hints apart form watch out for snow

[This message has been edited by James Adlington (edited 03-02-2000).]
Old 03 February 2000, 09:52 AM
James Adlington
Scooby Regular

Question

Any ideas where I can find the opening times & prices for this year? I've tried the web site but it seems to only go up to 11/99 (though my German is almost non-existant so I could be wrong!)
Old 03 February 2000, 11:42 AM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

James.......I am in possession of a 2000 timetable. It is a poor fax copy, so perhaps if you let me know what dates your are thinking I can decipher the information. Generally speaking it is open for certain every weekend even now on Saturday and Sunday, but I would check the weather forecast before if you intend going soon because the region is subject to heavy snowfalls at this time of year. Not the best driving surface.

Steve
Old 03 February 2000, 04:43 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

James.......It cost about 100DM's for a six lap ticket, the more laps you buy the cheaper it becomes. They don't take credit cards so you'll need lots of cash.

The Nurburgring is a public toll road effectively so anything that is road legal can buy a ticket and drive around. The most important thing is to stay out of the way of fast moving cars coming up behind you because most will try and pass you anyway they can. Other than that just keep it on the black stuff, and take a helmet but you will see most people don't bother. You will be surprised how quickly you learn the circuit, and by lap 5 or 6 you will probably know roughly what to expect around each corner.

I am intending to go in April some time and so are some others so keep an eye on the Events section. If you have access to a fax machine I can fax you the timetable. I have emailed you with the timetable, but I think you will have trouble reading it.

Steve
Old 03 February 2000, 11:49 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I don't know if you're a member of the Ringers mailing list (www.onelist.com/community/ringers), but someone on that list mentioned recently about the Ring being always open, yet the 2000 timetable (available in PDF format from the file area of the Ringers list above) only covers April to October.

Can you confirm whether it is open to the public to just turn up before April 1st?

IMHO, a first timer is still guessing what's coming up around the majority of the circuit after only 5 laps. You'll recognise bits, but not a great deal. 170+ corners just blows your mind initially.

Paul
Old 04 February 2000, 12:59 AM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Paul.......The timetable I have is for the entire year. I phoned the Start Hut and asked them to fax through a copy of the timetable (seeing James asked and I was also interested). I think they said something about snow at the moment, but it is open weather pending according to the timetable.

If you email me with your fax number I can send you the timetable, or either phone the Start Hut on 0049 2691 302 215. However they don't speak much English. I have emailed you the timetable as a gif file, but I am not sure how clear it will be.

Steve
Old 04 February 2000, 01:25 AM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

Also a good idea perhaps . Take a lap first in the ringtaxi. This way you know how the ring looks like and you can learn a little what the racingline is there. You will have to make a reservation for this. It costs 150DM for one lap ,but you can go with three persons,so it won't be too expensive in this way. They drive around in a BMW M5 ,latest model with 400HP and it has a rollcage. THese people really drive like hell with those ringtaxi's.
bye Chris
Old 04 February 2000, 09:01 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

A visit to the 'ring is something I've been considering too. Will have to check out that mailing list (thanks strong).

As for learning the circuit, well, that's easy. I have a copy of Grand Prix Legends and the Nurburgring is one of the circuits in the game. You can practice all 174 corners to your heart's content, assuming you can even keep the damn cars on the track (take a tip from me, get the 1.2 patch).