Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Mike @ PD

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2001, 12:54 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You advised that to minimize tyre wear we should inflate our tyres to 50 psi (hot) on trackdays.

I'm thinking of going on an airfield day (Bentwaters) -- if I turn up with my 3-month old Toyos (~7mm) inflated to 50psi what sort of tyre wear can I expect? I don't want to trash a set of tyres, and would rather skip the event if this is going to happen.
Old 04 July 2001, 02:12 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Talking

Carl
Whatever you do dont inflate your tyres to 50psi. I would have thought for track day use you would be better off with 35psi max as the tyres will heat up and the pressure increase. Are u sure this is what Mike said?
Old 04 July 2001, 02:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I ran my toyos at 40 psi on a very hot day.

50 sounds high, can't imagine mike would say that. He certainly knows his track driving though.

Carl, you tyres will be trashed by the track day. Couldn't believe what happened to mine.
Old 04 July 2001, 02:50 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

In fairness... carl *did* say 50psi *hot* means that the cold pressure *could* be as little as 35 Psi even depending on the tyre and the way you drive (although almost certainly a lot more than 35psi).

50psi hot will almost definitely reduce grip, but should also make the wear more even across the tyre.

Cheers

Simon
Old 04 July 2001, 03:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

Carl

If I was you, I wouldn't take new tyres to Bentwaters! Ask A Dorrington...

It would appear to be <I>very</I> abraisive on tyres altogether. He absolutely caned a good set of RE10s & he wasn't the only one suffering excessive tyre wear.

At the least, take a set you don't mind trashing & a keep your Toyos to take you home.

Old 04 July 2001, 03:17 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

There was a thread at the beginning of the year and i agree that various people discussed the merits of 50psi in the tyres. Saves the tread etc and you lose little control. I seem to remember that there was a fairly heated (no pun intended) debate - some said up to 40, others 45 and then some all the way to 50.

Why not try 45 and work your way up!!

Jza

Old 04 July 2001, 04:29 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

OK, assuming that 50 psi doesn't solve the problem, does anyone have any idea what the cheapest tyres I can get in 205/50x16 are? ISTR Bob Iles having some (Champiros or something) that were dirt cheap.

Trending Topics

Old 05 July 2001, 12:05 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I know loads of guys who have driven in Scottish Road Saloon/Sports championships, Sprints and Hill Climbs over the years.

All the guys who have to run "road" tyres over 12 to 15 lap races run around 40psi (cold) in the wet, sometimes a little less if it was really wet and around 45 psi (cold)in the dry. Theory was to find the compromise of keeping sidewalls stiff and still generate sufficient heat during a comparatively short race distance.

For the sprints and hillclimbs, slightly lower pressures were used.

The fact that higher pressures = lower wear was a bonus.

If you are experiencing excessive corner wear due to running normal pressures, then the "wrong" bit of the tyre is in contact with the surface. This equals inneficient use of the tyre and less grip. Not to mention softer turn in response as the sidewall flexes. Its not exactly rocket science, is it .

D

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited 05 July 2001).]
Old 05 July 2001, 11:22 AM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay. Yes we do use 40-48psi (wet-dry) and whilst this is not ideal for ultimate performance, what we have found is that when running a 16 and 17 inch tyres it prevents the tyre wall giving up after only a few laps. There is also less heat generated due to less flexing. The question is a matter for yourself. Run 45-48psi(hot) and get more laps in with almost unmeasurable reductions in performance at your level of driving or run lower pressures and take the tyres through to the cords at the edges very quickly indeed. Adam also has a point that most airfield venues afford exceptional grip but they are never easy on the rubber so this solution cannot be truely put to the test at such venues.

I don't really want to go into that old debate again, you simply have to try it and decide for yourself. Others have tried it after the last thread but the feedback was as varied as most BBS views tend to be. All I can say is that I and such as Mike Wood use those pressures....Enough said !
Old 05 July 2001, 11:28 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I didn't want to open up an old debate -- I just wondered how effective the solution would be on an airfield surface. After reading the replies here, I think I will skip the day unless I can find a set of part-worns or dirt cheap tyres.

FWIW next time I am on a 'proper' track I fully expect to use the high tyre pressure solution. I bought a 4WD car precisely because I'm no Schumacher, so the difference in performance will be negligible to me, as you say.
Old 05 July 2001, 02:05 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Carl,

ring tyres northampton and see if they can sort you out a used pair of tyres you can knacker!

Greg
Old 05 July 2001, 02:18 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

gregh -- good idea, I'm taking the missus to Althorp in a couple of weeks anyway. But a pair? Don't I need 4, or is it just the fronts that wear?
Old 05 July 2001, 02:31 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Had a few laps of Bruntingthorpe earlier this year.

Dry day.
My car.
Nearly new SO2's all round.
Tyres at normal road pressures.
Don Palmer at the wheel teaching limit control.

Wish I'd tried higher pressures at the time...

(Great fun though!)

Rich

SPEILING EDIT

[This message has been edited by RichS (edited 05 July 2001).]
Old 05 July 2001, 04:39 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

&gt;&gt; Don't I need 4,

Ah, well spotted, of course!!
Old 05 July 2001, 08:32 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Cool

Re BENTWATERS : we now use a new ciruit lay out, this has been completely swept and partially resurfaced - it is far better, and far less abrasive than before - ENJOY!!