Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

some GENERAL questions about STI's.......

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 08:52 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

hi folks
got some questions, and i wondered if anyone had the answers.
i have a my99 sti 5. its really really wicked, im loving it loving it loving it

questions are.....

1. it has NO subaru lettering on the **** end or wrx stickers, is this normal?

2. do the wing mirrors fold in, coz if they do, i aint worked it out yet

3. it has a clifford concept 50 alarm, how do i sit inside the bleedin thing with the engine turned off with out the proximity alarm starting having a go at me

4. its an absolute mint car, with good sensible mods. however... ... what is the best way forward, ecu wise, for more gains, in the long term, i'm happy with it at the moment though

5. i am running it on 97 ron super plus octane booster, is this ok? would it be better to get it mapped for 97 ron?

6. just how fast can these things go? i heard ..ahem...of a 'friend' of mine doing 140mph on a deserted ..ahem...autobahn , and yet 'he' said it felt like it could do seriously more. anyone got any thoughts on this, apart from the speed kills bit etc so no sermons PLEASE

7. it has gold 17" mims on at the mo( yuk), and at times it almost feels like torque steer is happening. is this caused by the mims? i have P1's going back on on thursday.

8. what does the pink badge actually mean? i know what the normal scooby badge is, but whats this pink one?

thanks for taking time to read this, its just some daft questions that have been bugging me for a couple of days.
cheers guys n gals

[This message has been edited by spudgun (edited 02 July 2001).]
Old 02 July 2001, 09:11 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spudgun:
<B>hi folks
questions are.....

1. it has NO subaru lettering on the **** end or wrx stickers, is this normal?

2. do the wing mirrors fold in, coz if they do, i aint worked it out yet

3. it has a clifford concept 50 alarm, how do i sit inside the bleedin thing with the engine turned off with out the proximity alarm starting having a go at me

4. its an absolute mint car, with good sensible mods. however... ... what is the best way forward, ecu wise, for more gains, in the long term, i'm happy with it at the moment though

5. i am running it on 97 ron super plus octane booster, is this ok? would it be better to get it mapped for 97 ron?

6. just how fast can these things go? i heard ..ahem...of a 'friend' of mine doing 140mph on a deserted ..ahem...autobahn , and yet 'he' said it felt like it could do seriously more. anyone got any thoughts on this, apart from the speed kills bit etc so no sermons PLEASE

7. it has gold 17" mims on at the mo( yuk), and at times it almost feels like torque steer is happening. is this caused by the mims? i have P1's going back on on thursday.

[/quote]

1 Lettering is only UK cars I think, not on my import anyway. I am after he silver letters to spell scooby instead

2 Mine has a rocker switch behind the handbrake (you need ignition on)

3 Dont know mines not clifford

4 Get use to it first then exhaust and filter

5 Expensive to get it remapped but maybe done in conjunction with item 4. It might be better to fit a knocklink (fairly cheap) to see if its detting and work from their

6 Dont know personally but I have heard rumours of cars on German autobahns of 160+ mph. Not good to run at high revs though and you would be approaching 8000 rpm.

7 More to do with the tyres I would have thought. You could always try some S02PP's (or S03's just out). AND/OR you could get the powerstation bumpsteer mod but this make the car a bit more tail happy but it removes a lot of understeer apparently.

hope this helps

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 02 July 2001).]
Old 02 July 2001, 09:18 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

number 8 - all the STi stuff seems to be pink dont know why
Old 02 July 2001, 09:30 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers chrisp
it has so2's on it. my old my00ppp had P1's with Pzero's, never felt like i had torque steer.
maybe its just me pushing it harder? this car definately 'feels' quicker than my my00ppp.
how do you know if a car is detting/pinking without the gadgets? is there a noise i should listen out for?is this a stupid question?
i will get the gadgets, but in the meantime, any useful advice?
cheers
Old 02 July 2001, 09:58 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spudgun,

1. The car is supposed to come with a big sticker on the **** end, WRX subaru impreza STI. The previous owner probably took it off. If you want one it's, Subaru, part code fig number 93073D part number 93070FA130 ITCA part number 1 ST99800ST440. This is all that goes on the back of your silver STI, nothing else. If you have a look at members gallery, blue scoob corner you will see my car fitted with one. Yours will be the same as mine but where mine is white yours will be in pink. Mine is also fitted in the exact location they go on as I took measurements of a genuine STI in OZ.

5. It's a must to run 97 Ron and booster. Mapping will be better though.

8. Pink means it's the colur trademark of STI.

Hope this helps.

WREXY.
Old 02 July 2001, 10:03 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

You can't tell if it's detting without the gadjets unless you go to a rolling road and they listen to it for you with det cans. If you here anything on the road it would be too late as your motor would have blown.

WREXY.
Old 02 July 2001, 10:05 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

is the badge a letter 'I' ?
must say the interior is a damn site better than the uk car i had. why cant uk cars be like this?
anyone got experience of link for sti5? would unichip be a disaster? i know these are perhaps drivetrain questions, but want a general feel on the subject at the moment, rather than baffling techno gobbledygook which i probably wouldnt understand
i.e link is good/bad....delete as appropriate
unichip.....as above
cheers so far!
Old 02 July 2001, 10:07 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Spudgun

The car would of come delivered with WRX graphics on the rear. Any owner with taste remove the Surf Shack style things as their first mod. Mine were removed within 10 minutes of delivery.

If your worried about your engine going bang, and judging by the lack of back up from warranty companies do the following.

1. Get a knock link from BRD
2. Tell yourself you are keeping this car for a while and therefore can afford to spend £1000 on it
3. Phone BRD again and get Bob Rawle to come and map your car for 97RON. plus enjoy some more power.
4. Start figuring out how your going to make it fast enough to keep up with my UK300
5. You have pink badges because its a girls car

Jonathan

See your getting bored already, and are thinking of mods
Old 02 July 2001, 10:07 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

wrexy, yer makin' me nervous
is this a common problem?
this thing runs like a dream, please dont say its gonna go bang
does this hot weather make a difference?
Old 02 July 2001, 10:18 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

aha! chins....
i thought of you sunday as i read the evo review of the uk300....hmmmm, not a particularly impressive write up. seems as though they were saying standard wrx is yawn inducing, uk300 with ppp is a bit better, but not as good as rb5.
fiver says you get rid of uk300 before i get rid of sti5
that is unless mine goes bang first
did you have a link? i would love to hear your impression of it, no, seriously i would
actually i always enjoy your reviews of cars. written with love at first sight enthusiasm, tinged with a hint of" hang on, whats that foxy new car eh?"
unfortunately for me, i have nowhere to go. skyline was my next ultimate in a couple of years, but my girlfriend has beaten me to it. hers is being worked on at the mo, and when it emerges at the end of this week, it will be pushing 400bhp. in a months time, shes having some new injectors or summat, and this they reckon,along with a couple of other goodies, will be pushing out 600bhp.
how the HELL do i compete with that
i think me and u should save our pennies and stick with scoobys for a while, you know we'll only come back for more
Old 02 July 2001, 10:21 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Spudgun you should be right using 97 RON and octane boost, don't worry too much. But get the knocklink for security and peace of mind.
Chins has given some excellent advice above. Lots recomend Bob Rawle to do a map for their cars. Unichip is OK, would in no way be a dissaster, but you would have to go to Powerstation as they appear to be the best for mapping Unichip. The ECU be it Link or Unichip or whatever, is only as good as the mapper. The mapper is the most important factor.

The Japanese STI's had an I on the front pink badge for Impreza. The OZ spec STI's had the pink badge with the stars like the 22B.

WREXY.
Old 02 July 2001, 11:32 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spudgun:
<B>fiver says you get rid of uk300 before i get rid of sti5
[/quote]

Yep I want a bit of this as well as I think he has an M3 on order .

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 02 July 2001).]
Old 03 July 2001, 12:44 AM
beaker
Scooby Regular

Cool

Is been a while since i had the alarm/impreza, but if a remember you can put it into valet mode (press small button on right of keyfob twice and then the bottom button out of the four on keyfob, might be the top one tho') the red light should come on and stay on. This basically disables alarm until the key is turn in the ignition. Or you can turn key in ignition to the first position and the back again, alarm should beep once, this disables the internal sensors. Once again if car is turn on everything goes back to normal.

Hopefully this should help.

Alls Sti's have the pink badge with a silver i (Impreza???) WRX's have black badge with silver i. UK cars have the normal subaru badge. I was told once that legacy's have an 'l' on the badge.

Craig.
Old 03 July 2001, 07:31 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Spun gun these have all been answered already but i'm bored so i'll put my view over.

I own a STI V5.

1. I have removed the WRX sticker myself and put on a snazzy STI carbon fibre jobby from the Scoobynet shop.

2. As said before the mirrors are folding and the button is on the centre console , may be you've blown a fuse.

3. Again can't help with the alarm sorry.

4. I have had LINK installed by BR engineering after the normal tinkering (exhaust system, induction kit and springs).

5. I ran on SUL before having LINK installed and still only add octane booster for track days and fast club drives (as advised br BR engineering).

6. I have gone to 140 mph and have seen test articles on V5 with 150 mph.

7. I have gold 17inch MIM's and had no problems!! Now using anthracite PD7's for road and the MIM's on track.

8. The pink badge with the silver tick effect is basically the STI sign.

I would (if not already changed) change the springs to Eibach's to drop the car a bit and take the cornering roll out.

....Ian
Old 03 July 2001, 10:48 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

I think i love your girlfriend......!
Old 03 July 2001, 11:44 AM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

Spudgun,

i've got an sti4. It has a switch for the mirrors in the centre console, although I can never find it in time when i've got a bus trying to squeeze past me!!.

I've also got a Clifford. Find your valet code and use the rocker switch on the dash. Valet mode will be switched off next time you engage the ignition.

The car is 'restricted' to 155mph......i'm 'sure' it can easily be done...160mph tops (if the dash is properly calibrated from km to miles.

I only ever run on 97 ron. I have occasionally been caught short and have had to put in 95 ron. I have found that by resetting the ecu and running on a full tank of 97, she comes back to life....different schools of thought here.....but I can notice the difference!!

All I've done is change the exhaust and put 17" wheels on. I wouldn't bother tweeking it any further.

Chins, you mentioned mapping the ecu to 97ron....isn't it already?? ::eek
Old 03 July 2001, 01:00 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Japanese-spec Legacies have an "L" over an inverted "L", in silver on a pink background.
Old 03 July 2001, 10:12 PM
Bad Bads
Scooby Regular

Question

I have an Sti3 V-ltd,the pink badge on the front is of the Subaru stars not the Impreza i.From what everyone is saying my car is carrying the wrong badge,or is it?
Cheers Paul.
Old 03 July 2001, 11:09 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Subaru Australia, imported only one STI Version 3 privately, from Japan to Australia only for their show room. It was a Japanese spec STI type R. This car also has the pink badge with the stars. Subaru may have started using the I after this model.

Furthermore Subaru Australia imported 400 STI version 5, 2 door coupes, NOT TYPE R's with no electronic diff adjustor or water spray, but had ABS brakes. They also imported 400 STI Version 6's 4 door. All 800 cars had the pink badge with the stars.

WREXY.