Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Whats best standard or modded?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 12:16 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering selling my MY94 UK scoob and i'm wondering what a scoob buyer would prefer, a standard one or a modified one with FSH, I only have a zorst and filter at the mo but if I keep the car I may put some more bits on depending on outcome of this thread
Old 02 July 2001, 08:21 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

lee mac
u NEVER get any money back on mods. if i were buying a scooby, i would DEFINATELY go for unmodded. its strange, seeing as most mod their cars to some degree, nevertheless, when u go to buy one, the unmodded ones are the ones to go for. if a car has a unichip for example, its unlikely this will have ever caused a problem, however it makes you dubious as to what sort of life the car has had.
saying that, if an enthusiast were to buy, he may appreciate 'sensible' mods i.e. exhaust/ back box/ suspension etc.
up to u mate, what do u plan to get to replace the scooby?
if your car has mega mileage, is it worth it? my girlfriend spent a fortune on a car that had 70k on the clock( daft i know), when she sold it she lost a packet.
hope this has been of help
Old 02 July 2001, 08:27 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Bits will help you sell it (like alloys wheels, spotlamps, better interior, gauges, clear indicators if already fitted) but unless you get them cheap you are just throwing good money at it which you wont get back.

Mods are worth very little in the second hand market. If it was me I would just get the car cleaned up and the paint work touched up if required. A nice cheap set of mats may make the interior look better. You could always go for a Wax Wizard full valet very good I have heard.

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 02 July 2001).]
Old 02 July 2001, 10:25 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Only had a mid and back magnex, an air induction kit and set of wheels (still have originals) but if I kept the car I'm thinking of front & rear spoiler and maybe a set of seats, its done 75000 miles oh and ive got the mag it was featured in when they came over to this country in 1994 (could be a selling point).
Thinking about Mazda RX7 (94+) but will find it hard to go away from the scoob.

[This message has been edited by LeeMac (edited 02 July 2001).]
Old 03 July 2001, 01:19 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

The only modifications that will enhance the value of your scoob are ones like the PPP, all safe power and a dealer option. Wrx's and sti's wont gain anything from chips etc as they are not a subaru accessory and thus the reliability is suspect in the eyes of subaru.

Tony
Old 03 July 2001, 10:00 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I wasn't going to put any mods on to increase the value, I would probably sell in the near future and was wondering what people would prefer to buy, when I bought the car i bought it because it was UK and standard.
Old 03 July 2001, 10:37 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lee,
Revert the car back to completely standard, as per the magazine article and pictures.

I think that would set it apart from the multitude of messed about/improved? Imprezas on the 2nd hand market.
All the bells and whistles make a car look like its been owned by a boy racer IMO.

Did you see my friends 1987 Sierra Cosworth on NM5. Std even including mild steel exhaust.

It genuinely has never been messed about with, and I suspect if he was to try and sell it, he would get his arm ripped off by eager buyers looking for a pristine STD example.

When people buy older classics E types etc, the big money goes on the STD immaculate cars with history, not the ones with big wheels and noisy exhausts.

Sell your exhaust bits seperately first, and don't offer them to the new prospective owner, as it may make them think you are part of the boy racer brigade and could well put them off.

Put yourself in the shoes of a potential buyer, looking to buy an Impreza.
Seller starts banging on about how his mods have made the engine produce umpty five more BHP, goes like stink, right off the clock etc.

To me, and possibly others that reads like, pistons rods and crank are a *** papers width away from complete and utter destruction, and new engine time.

Given that all mechanical components will have a finite 'life', surely it must be better to impress upon potential buyers, that your car has 'lots of life left', not that it has been used to compete in the Le Mans 24 Hrs, and might not make the finish.

Cheers MTR
Old 03 July 2001, 11:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the 'REAL' money goes everytime for the UK std. model with NO mods. Backbox may be small change in mod land but it speaks volumes as to the owner being a 'Roy Bacer' that likes everyone to hear him.

I, personally, would NOT buy (and didnt) any modified car, any 'grey' import or anything with less than a PERFECT pedigree. Then when one is found I pay 'proper' money to get it.

So, in answer to your question, keep it standard if you want ANYTHING back come re-sale time. As for the idea that PPP is ok as a mod. I beg to differ, anyone who would pay £1700 to make a very fast car even faster does NOT own the car I would wish to buy thank you very much!

Track raced cars are an absolute NO-NO too!!

Thats just about alienated everyone

Pete
Old 03 July 2001, 11:03 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Excellent advice from MTR. Standard is best.

When modding, keep all the original parts and refit them when the time comes to sell. I don't honestly belief that any mods (including PPP) will enhance value and most will reduce it.

Sell the goodies on here and you should get 50% back.

Richard.
Old 03 July 2001, 11:10 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

At that age mods will make no real difference (positive or negative) to the value of the car. Just remember that it is all a matter of taste though (eg pslewis likes small exhausts and silver wheels, I have gold wheels and a big exhaust). I don't think these items would make my car attractive to pete, so I have made the car more attractive to buyers who like the nice wheels and exhaust, but put off a few.

But the smart money says keep all the standard bits in your cellar/loft and swap them back when you flog the car. Most bits should fetch around 50% of their new cost second hand, but as you'll probably just want to swap the scooby for another you can swap the bits too

Jon