Sponsored by:

UK300 driven

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2001, 07:50 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I had a test drive today of UK300 No 1 with PPP fitted. Got to admit I had built myself up into a lather of excitement and therefore was bound to be disappointed.

I found the engine to lack raw acceleration compared to my standard MY99. Perhaps the power is there, it's just so smooth that there is no sense of turbo thrust (surge??). I drove an S3 once that had the same feeling to it.

The engine was very disinclined to rev freely. BUT - the car has only done 300 miles, so how much do I put the lack of "go" down to simply being new?

I suppose you've got to believe the performance figures quoted in the brochure - have you?

I could really do with some feedback from UK300 owners as to how their cars perform once run in as I was going to place my order straight away but now I'm not so sure.

Otherwise, full marks for handling, ride, brakes, exhaust note...

Overall the look of the car is awesome, though I think they've gone a bit overboard with the old red, white and blue - all a bit Ginger Spice if you ask me.

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 30 June 2001, 08:56 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I was equally disappointed when I drove one a couple of weeks ago, especially when driven back to back with an Sti7.

However, I haven't driven a standard 01 yet, so it's difficult to form a considered opinion. All I do remember is the guy from Evo saying that a PPP'd UK300 is what the standard '01 should have been.

Josh
Old 30 June 2001, 07:06 PM
GSM21
Scooby Regular

went on test drive of 001 car, and like you say you cannot notice the speed as you can with the outgoing scooby, but the handling, ride and exhaust tone is great.

Styling i think is good, and the spoiler does grow on you the more you see it, as when i saw the pictures i was not sure about this car at all.
Also wondering if the black cover over the new lights could be removed and colour coded.

pls anyone who has got one, or is thinking seriously please e mail me, as i thinking of placing an order in next couple of weeks.

maybe persueded for second hand p1 if anyone will take 25 -26k.

HOPE to hear from someone.

my e mail is GSM19@aol.com
Old 30 June 2001, 07:40 PM
Dan D
Scooby Newbie

u can buy the color coded ones and there a bit different (better) pg 104 autocar check it out
Old 30 June 2001, 08:04 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well Ive got a UK300 sat on my driveway at the moment, and have previously owned a P1.

I have also driven a well run in UK300 back to back with a P1. I was a bit of a refersal of Gareth. I first drove the UK300 and then got into the P1. I expected to be blown away by the P1. The performance gap on the road to me was very close. I thought I'd be asking my dealer for another P1.

To a point though the P1 and UK300 are different cars as Ive posted a few times already.

The plus points for me with the UK300 is the handling over a P1. Handling and ride are better on poor surfaces, I'd like a bit less roll. Down the same roads Ive driven my previous Scoobies the car is quicker in the corners. You can certainly feel the stiffer chasis, and with uprated suspension it will clearly show the old shape its rear end. I also like the fact there is less understeer than in a P1.

The brakes are also better than the previous model. The interior, it goes without saying. Overall the car is a lot more refined and composed than the old shape.

Negative points

Tyre Noise from the 18" wheels can be very pronounced on certain surfaces. Tends to go against refinement I know. As mentioned earlier the car has a little too much roll, and it sits too high.

The bigest one at the moment is the peformance. Had the car dyno'd today to check it was ok. In 96 hours the PPP get fitted and I'll see if on my previous impressions were correct.

As other on this thread have posted their impressions are based on a 300 mile car. Mine at 300 miles felt like it had 150bhp. Now with over another 1000 on it feels more like 200. It will really need a few more thousand at least to really see how it is. Coming from a well run in old shape to a brand new new shape with or without PPP is always going to be a bit of a letdown. I can assure people that once run in the MY01 with PPP will rev very freely.

Jonathan
Old 30 June 2001, 09:27 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Jonathon,

You've previously owned everything there is to own!!

I drove a P1 today with 3k on the clock, and I must say that it was disappointing!!! Didn't feel much faster than mine.

I agree with your comments about the 18 inch tyres, it had them.

Cheers mate, Phill

P.S. My mate had the Prodrive brakes fitted today. Walked into Tileys and he fell in love, and a Scooby Sport BB.
Old 30 June 2001, 10:06 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

My MY01 performance is blunted over my previous MY00.

Two things - firstly, the MY01 weighs 150kg or so more than the MY00. That's the equivalent of carrying your grandparents round permanently in the back seat.....scary thought (well, it is for mine, because they have dropped off their perches - Sorry )

Secondly, I have fitted a full Scoobysport exhaust system, as per the MY00, but the MY01 has an extra cat in the turbo up pipe which remains. This does also make a difference.

Mileage is always critical to loosen a car up, but it makes an extra difference on a MY01 due to the above. Mine was a slow as hell at first (ran them in on the way back from Listers ) but with 1200 miles is freeing up. It will take up to 5000 or so to fully loosen up.

Had intended to go the PPP route, but having had an extensive email exchange with both Mike Wood @ Prodrive and Bob Rawle, have decided to go for a Link (not available yet, but will almost certainly be before the PPP for non-UK300 MY01's.... ).

The PPP is NOT warranted with a Scoobysport d/p......good a reason as any for going Link then
Old 30 June 2001, 10:46 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave

I dont think your going a bad way about it. I went the PPP as I dont see the UK300 being a long term purchase for me. I would certainly would have gone the same way as you if I was keeping it for some time.

Interestingly today at PE we ran mine and compared it against a couple of other MY01's that had been run. All three cars were near identical. We also compared it against some unmodified MY00/99's. It showed that the new car is slower on pick up (I would concur that there seems more lag than anyother UK car Ive owned), but in the mid range the MY01 5-8lbft more torque.

Jonathan