Sponsored by:

How many miles can a scoob cope with?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2002, 08:56 PM
tallsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking at getting either UK or Import for about 6K (mail me if you know of any cool ones in the London area) but most are pretty high miles.... Am wondering how many miles a UK or Import can handle without hideous servicing costs or nasty engine / mechanical surprises... 100K+ or is that optimistic??

Cheers

Old 01 August 2002, 09:28 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Scoobs just keep on going. I decided to get one after a good pal of mine took me out in his. Not even a Turbo but the perfomance was fantastic and it had way over 130k on the clock.

These cars are built to last.

Old 02 August 2002, 12:25 AM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Avoid big BHP mods as these may result in shorter engine life.
WRX imports are slightly more potent at the top end and run closer to the knock limit thanks to our cr*py fuel but on the road there is little in it between these and UK models.
Many seem to run for 100,000 plus miles while others do their big ends/pistons at 40,000 miles....bit of a lottery really.
Worst instance engine rebuild/short engines cost £2500 - £3500 depending on damage/rebuild spec to fix.
All are fantastic bargin performance cars....there has never been a dud turbo impreza.
Old 02 August 2002, 08:27 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Currently have 105,000 miles on the clock and still going like when I first bought it with 73,000miles on the clock.. and I have owned it for 18months or so. Still looks perfect except for the paint the dealer put on the front bumper just before I bought it is starting to peeling off, and the mark I put on the rear bumper (oops). Who parked that trailer there that I just reversed into... oh I did! doh!

There are others on here with more miles and nothing really major <touch wood> seems to go wrong..

Second hand engines are available from 950 upwards depending on what you want and number of miles, should you need one, but they seem rock solid with a couple of people claiming 200km miles.

Just check they have had the cambelt changed at 90k and I recommend the front oil seal when the cambelt is done at 90,000miles otherwise put aside 300pounds or more for another cambelt change to replace a leaking oil seal at about 100k.

Servicing costs are similar really as they just start the service schedule again every 45k I think it is.

Make sure it has full service history too and preferable Subaru or a decent independent (TSL, Scoobysport, Scoobymania etc).

I have only heard of high mileages on UK cars but I am sure there are Imports with high miles too I just cannot say whether they take it as well or not, but see no reason why not.

Goodluck with buying one and enjoy the car

JGM

Old 02 August 2002, 09:31 AM
JohnS

I've heard of a couple of cars up here in Scotland which have done more than 130k miles (one about 170k!) on the original engine and gearbox.

Both are serviced religiously, and both have gone through a couple of clutches and are still running very sweetly indeed. Things like suspension bushes and other wear and tear items start needing to be replaced due to wea and tear, but nothing too big or expensive if the cars are well looked after.

John
Old 02 August 2002, 09:56 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
105,000 miles, and going very strong.

Previous owner couldn't drive so put 3 clutches in for me (2 on warranty). One small area of rust, but it's a 94 car, so not bad.

doesn't use any oil (providing you don't overfil!)

doesn't use any water

very happy

Paul
Old 02 August 2002, 10:05 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

As far as I can make out my car is on the original Clutch, shocks, springs, exhaust (apart from the BBox which I change through choice). Thats from reading all the receipts the previous owners kindly left in the service book.

Has had disks and they need doing again so I think they are about 50k a set at most.

JGM
Old 02 August 2002, 10:08 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi,

You might want to take a look at this thread. Plenty of examples of high milers.

I'm coming up to 150k now. Only problems have been crank oil seal replacement, new clutch (not supprising realy), new water pump and PAS pump. It's been regularly serviced at the local Subaru garage. Not problems with it at all (apart from a noise heat shield). Still goes great. Had nearly 4 years and will not be selling it anytime soon (more likely go to the wife when I can afford a P1).

Old 02 August 2002, 10:10 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say..
also had new front disks and pads, and the rears are being replaced tomorrow. Again, not supprising concidering the milage.
Old 02 August 2002, 12:02 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

u gotta believe it

http://www.subaruhighmileageclub.com/

not many turbos, but this has gotta say something!
Old 02 August 2002, 01:27 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I have 166,000 miles on my MY95 Turbo and still going like the clappers.

4th and 5th gear where whining so put a replacemtn gearbox in and had no more problems.