ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Turtle Wax wheel cleaner - beware!

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2001, 10:44 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Last week I used this new brush/foam combo unit from Turtle Wax on my white wheels. Returned back to wipe them clean this week only to find them completely destroyed!

I spent 5 hours taking my wheels off and cleaning them last week(white wheels are a complete b1tch to keep clean) and used this cleaner, the brush looked to be quite usefull. I now have this real thick layer that looks like something between moss and rust that just will not come off. I have used the following to try to take it off:

Wonder Wheels
Halfords Wheel Cleaner
T Cut (!)
Engine Cleaner (!!!)

Nothing can take it off. I now have white wheels with big black marks over them.

It may be that my brake dust has had some kind of reaction to the compound, but I am very angry to see that I now need to refurbish my wheels, or buy a new set. I shouldn't have to be the one to test their products. It also may be that the cleaner had a reaction to the car shampoos I have used.

If you are to use this cleaner, please apply on a small area of your wheel 1st before you apply it to the whole wheel. This practice should be used with all cleaners anyway.

Cem
Old 23 June 2001, 10:54 PM
Tal
Scooby Regular

Cem get on the blower (no pun intended) to Mark Underwood ( the Wizard of Wax ) do a search for contact numbers If he cant help no one can

Hope you get it sorted out

Tal
Old 23 June 2001, 11:29 PM
ChrisB

Exclamation

I've used this stuff three or four on the wheels on my Pug 206 GTI (silver alloys). Not noticed anything like that come up, although I'm washing the car tomorrow. The wheels are filthy from a late night thrash on Thursday so I'll inspect them carefully and report back.

ChrisB.
Old 24 June 2001, 12:02 PM
Billabong
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blow Dog:
<B>Last week</B> I used this new brush/foam combo unit from Turtle Wax on my white wheels. Returned back to wipe them clean <B>this week</B>

Cem<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you leave this stuff on there for that long????? You're supposed to put it on, then clean off, not leave on for days - that may be the cause. Or does this stuff say to leave on for a long period of time?

Bill
Old 24 June 2001, 07:25 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi,

IMHO I think you shouldn't use wheel cleaners period. Your usual car shampoo, with a second sponge, kept separately, should be enough for wheel cleaning. It's a bit more work but is much safer. Waxing the wheels once in a while is also good as it makes cleaning much easier.

WREXY.
Old 24 June 2001, 11:59 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Billabong,
No, I should have said 're-applied' the cleaner the following week.

Wrexy,
Impossible mate, there is no way shampoo will take off the brake dust that my pads produce. However, you ARE right about waxing the wheels, it would stop crap from sticking to them. But who on earth has the time to wax 4 multispoke wheels?

Cem
Old 25 June 2001, 12:09 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Its been said before but I'll say it again (2)

DON'T USE "OFF THE CAR ACCESSORY SHELF" TYPE WHEEL CLEANERS

Unless you want to run the risk if this sort of thing happening.

All to do is get a few coats of wax on the wheels and make sure they get washed at least once a week. Water and a soft sponge should do. No dust, no damage, no hassle.

NB - this does not appear to work on certain Alcan/ferrodo brake combinations as discussed at length on this board.

D

Usual caveat - just my (and everyone I know) opinion
Old 25 June 2001, 12:49 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Cem,

One of the guys at the weybridge meet said he had problems with this on his wheels, disks and calipers ! took digi piccies and kicked up a stink at Halfords and got a brand new set of brembos out of it paid for by Halfords, apparently they are aware of probs wit this stuff and have removed it from sale !!!

Hope i got all my facts right ! but i am sure someone will dive in if not correct !
Old 25 June 2001, 12:50 AM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like you have been unlucky Blow Dog.
I would just like to say that I used the "Wax Wizard" products for the first time yesterday on my X Reg MY00.
To say that I am please with the result (my car was peppered with tar spots/dead insects some of which have been on since I collected the car from Holland last August!), would be an understatement. The products are not cheap, but boy - they are well worth it.
Thanks Mark,

Cheers,
Steve
Old 25 June 2001, 08:04 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

WW Waxing wheels is the easiest thing. Even 15 spoke OZ Supers Ts only take 3-4 minutes each to wax, and save at least 5 minutes each every week for a month afterwards

Old 25 June 2001, 10:29 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Damn,

I am glad that nobody else has had this problem, but I am a bit saddened to see that I am alone with this problem.

Chris,
You are right, I think I have just been extremely unfortunate. What do I tell Turtle Wax?

Cem
Old 25 June 2001, 10:43 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cem....I am in London (Croydon area) on Wednesday....be happy to pop by in the early evening and solve yer probloem for you FOC.
Regards Mark 07702 822544
Old 25 June 2001, 10:52 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mark, you are a nut-case!
Good luck with Mark, Cem, hope he can sort you out. Is it gonna be clay bar time Mark?
Regards
Chuck
Old 25 June 2001, 10:53 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's been said before but I'll say it again.

"Mark Underwood - what a guy"

Old 25 June 2001, 12:50 PM
ChrisB

Unhappy

Well I cleaned my wheels with the stuff again this afternoon.

No problems at all - a quick work round with a toothbrush and they have come up fine.

Cem, looks like you've hit a very, very unluckly combination. Have you called Turtle Wax?

ChrisB.
Old 25 June 2001, 01:00 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

"I've just bought the WW stuff and it's crap"

...Is a statement that you won't hear from me or anyone else, because it's the best thing since Britney did that Hit me one more time video.

I do the wheels in the stuff and the brake dust just comes straight off.

F
Old 25 June 2001, 01:11 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Cr@p!!! Ive just bought this stuff, green can with brush combo, and sprayed my wheels full. (I used about 4 applications, and my wheels are still a little dirty).
Ive not noticed any probs so far, so how long did it take for the marks to show?
I also have white alloys on my Teg, and you're right about being a bitch to keep clean, but Id rather have them dirty, than marked.

Give them a call, Ill check my wheels tonight, and if its happening to us white wheeled bunch, we have a case.
I made sure to get one that is safe for all types of wheels, so the can definitely says it is, so if its ruined your wheels, they owe you a new set.
Old 26 June 2001, 12:16 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Question

Cem,
I'd be well p1ssed!!!

Sounds to me, it's because they may be powder coated wheels???????

I have and will always use Wonder Wheels. Brilliant stuff!!

It ALWAYS makes sense to try it on the inside of the wheel first, when you buy anything new like that. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Shaun.
Old 26 June 2001, 12:16 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Just make sure it's only his back you scratch...!!
Old 26 June 2001, 11:54 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chuckster...what me a nutcase? Nah. Just nice thats all. Anyway I have prepared Cem's car a couple of times and he has scratched my back so time for to scratch his back in return. Just happy to help anyway. Mark
Old 26 June 2001, 01:56 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Cheers all.

IntegraR,

I really hope you don't get the same problem, but if you do, youre damn right, we want compensation.

For the record, I always use Wonder Wheels, but it just didnt cut it anymore. Thats why I tried something else.

I shall pop down to Halfords soon.

Mark,
Many thanks mate. I feel a bit bad about making you come up for free. Really is very good of you. I'll see what Halfords say, then get back to you.

Cem
Old 28 June 2001, 12:51 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cem...I was in London all day yesterday and would popped up 2 see you. Didnt hear so came back at the end of the day. Be up again next week though..not sure yet which day. Regards..Mark
Old 28 June 2001, 01:24 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shaun:
<B>

I have and will always use Wonder Wheels. Brilliant stuff!!

[/quote]

Watch out - Wonder Wheels is acid Will eat wheels if there are any nicks/scratches/weak points in paint or lacquer - I speak from experiance - 2 'eaten' OZs

There are far better (and kinder) products out there - but then as it's only on a Ford, I guess it doesn't matter
Old 28 June 2001, 04:58 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Angry

vous êtes un idiot stupide qui devrait avoir su mieux !!