Sponsored by:

Impreza - more reputation than reality?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2001, 08:54 PM
onecarefulowner
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I'm a scoobie newbie in every sense - I've just bought an MY01 WRX but its my first out of the box car and first real performance motor (for the first ten years of my life as a driver I've suffered with a litany of decrepit motorised prams for transport). So, I saved up for years and bought the latest, newest, fastest version of the car I've always wanted and settled down to a life of looking forward to roundabouts and never seeing the inside of a garage again.

Now the roundabouts thing, this does without doubt make it all worthwile. The silver thing is certainly an enormous grin machine and I've got loads yet to learn about it. It doesn't seem right though that I've had loads of grief from this brand new car - things such as the CD player swiftly refusing to play CDs, the frontside panel creasing weirdly outwards against the wheelarch and the r/cl failing intermittently after hard driving. I can't believe this is happening in a Subaru!

But most dubious of all is the recently developed noise from the two bits of metal that clearly don't get on with each other and decide to argue it out loudly under whichever wheel is under load when approaching full lock. The dealer had to strip the suspension down completely and pack in unearthly amounts of grease when refitting it to quieten it down. (not sure how happy I am with this solution...)

I'm starting to feel a bit gutted but would clearly feel a whole lot better if I knew that someone else out there has been similarly cursed by bugs in the new Impreza.(how do you put the smiley faces in?)

Seriously though, is this what I have to swallow to taste the performance or have I just been sold a dud?

1CO
Old 27 June 2001, 09:00 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just chuck it back at the dealer and get them to sort it out, thats what the warranty is for. If there are enough faults then reject it, "sales of goods act", "not fit for purpose stuff" .

Personally I am always dubious about buying a new evolution of a car as its takes a couple of facelifts to properly sort out.

cheers

chrisp
Old 27 June 2001, 09:02 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Smile

have u tried a pre my01? it will make your misery complete
seriously though, give it chance. i bought an audi s4 once, had loads of snags with it.oh, hang on, i got rid of it after 3 weeks
could u get it independantly checked? if the dealers arent doing their jobs properly, give 'em hell! i find a lot of uk subaru dealers overated, thats why i got an import this time
sorry if this post hasnt helped, but its really to let u know u aint alone on this
stick with it mate
Old 27 June 2001, 09:33 PM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

Red face

Christ I just ordered one yesterday!!!!!

Please tell me it is unusual - any other wrx my01 owners out there with these problems?????
Old 27 June 2001, 09:37 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Very happy after 14.25k miles.

Goes better and better as the miles role bye.

John Catlin

Old 27 June 2001, 09:38 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Thank you Chrisp, you have just summed up perfectly my reasons for cancelling my MY01 order in favour of a P1.

1CO,

They're not perfect by any means, but Chrisp is right, chuck it back at the dealer, and tell them to effin' well sort it out.

Josh
Old 27 June 2001, 10:19 PM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

If you are having problems, I recomend you keep a diary of all the problems and take polariods of any defects. Compile yourself a dossier and speak to Citizens Advice, it is free and they are generally quite good. I hope mine is trouble free....the missus only accepted my choice of car on subaru's history of reliabilty!!!!
Old 27 June 2001, 10:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Mines getting better by the mile, same as my 'Old Shape' did.

Old 27 June 2001, 11:17 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Just remeber the price, I do think that a Scooby is the best car in the world but for that money you can have everything, Ill stik with 200+ bmp and road holding to make everything else weep
Old 28 June 2001, 12:48 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

I agree entirely with Chris. Even the Japs are liable to experience teething problems with a new model.

BUT it's their responsibility, make em sort it to your satisfaction. No compromise on that. CD players just a glitch, the other issues seem more serious.

Smilies Legend is shown beside the reply window
Old 28 June 2001, 10:01 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Its a disgrace that a new car needs all that doing this soon.
I can imagine how gutting it must be to have something you've looked forward to so much, turn out to be pitted with problems, and its something that Subaru shouldnt get away with.
You should recieve something in the way of compensation for them supplying you with a bad product, or perhaps they could swop it for a new car, as perhaps another one wouldnt have so many problems.
Old 28 June 2001, 01:08 PM
specialk
Scooby Newbie

Wouldnt of happend if you had bought an RS ok maybe it would

ps take it back you have rights stamp and scream if you have to you deserve ya monies worth

Old 28 June 2001, 02:14 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

6k on my MY01 on real probs tough wood. A rattle from the rear seatbelt, but they will sort under warranty. Yours doesn't sound "normal" so I would push to get it sorted asap, if they can't reject it.

Hope you get it sorted so you can relax & enjoy it.

Old 28 June 2001, 03:16 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Reputation or reality?

The MY01 hasn't got a reputation yet, only reflected glory from it's predecessor.

It's a different, some would say (inc me) a better car from most car owners pov. And they want to sell as many of them as they can make so they must appeal to "most" car owners.

It'll have a reputation when RB gets his finger out and wins the rally championship a few times.
Old 28 June 2001, 03:25 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

I'm over 2k miles on mine now. Another Silver 01 in the Yorks. area. Work in Leeds, but now use the train - let the Mrs use the car

Jury is still out with me. My initial reaction was "WTF have I bought", like yourself, I'd heard/read so many good things about these "scooby" things, bought one, and was shocked at how crap it was. I was gutted that I hadn't gone for my third Audi and bought this "jap crap" instead.

Time has moved on, the car has a few miles under its belt, and well, things are starting to look up. After the very initial disappointment with power (complete lack of), the engine is starting to perform something like now. It will never compete with my gixer mind, but for a car its not bad

I've had a couple of nice runs out now, although motorway driving is a nightmare due to road noise. I did (for those that know the area) Howden to Pickering (to take the young'un to a Thomas The Tank Engine Day) via the Brid/Scarb. road. Once on top of the hills, on the nice a+b roads, the car came into its own. Demolished miles, and blasted past mobile chicanes with ease. Put a grin on my face and made me realize what the car was built for. One the way home, the same thing happened, 'cept I got wasted by a F550. Came past me like I was stood still.

I've not had any problems with the car so far which is good. Got a coffee and a tv to watch while I had the 1k service, but (quote) "no loan cars on Saturdays"?

Depending how the car shapes up over the next few months, + finance permitting, then I would like to stick a nice pipe on it, to a) get a nice note and b) increase the performance. Have to check where I stand with the lease company on that one.

I think I've already decided that when the 3 years is up, I'll not get another. Probably go back to Audi or one of those Jag X-Type's etc, but depending on the purchase cost, I might buy it and keep it for sunny Sundays. That would also allow me to go silly on performance parts as well.

Its a different type of car than what I'm used to, as such I'm not quite happy with it, but must say, now rapidly getting there. It could do with a bit more power, but that may come with a few more miles on the clock.

It will never be the car that my old Ur Quattro was, but then price wise, you wouldn't expect it to be. Its a bit like comparing an RS4 to the WRX IMHO.

By far the most annoying feature so far is the indicator relay. I keep leaving the thing on because it doesn't cancel very well, it makes very little noise, and the warning lights are not 'in ya' face'. I'm expecting a recall notice from Subaru to fix this (hopefully), otherwise I can see some "well I pulled out because the car was indicating" type accidents happening.