ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mechanic races MY CAR - not happy

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 12:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I'm with John on this; Claudius stop being a muppet.

The whole point is the mechanic never asked for the owners consent to drive the nuts off it. The mechanics job is to make sure the parts are working and the car is roadworthy (not more, no less). It's not an excuse to make sure that a claim of 4.9sec from 0-60mph is actually correct or whether your car will go from 60-0mph in 1 sec after fitting some 6-pot AP's.

I don't care if the mechanic is Richard fecking Burns, if I catch anyone thrashing my car without asking first, then I'll kick their @rse up and down the street. Although, if anyone asks if they can thrash my car, they'll still be told to go **** themselves

Claudius,

If your car is truly a "rally" car (used in the loosest of terms), then I assume your quite happy for your mechanics to drive the nuts off it through a nice gravel and pot-hole ridden forest stage?

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 8/1/2002 12:57:58 AM]
Old 08 January 2002, 10:59 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Perhaps this explains why so many big end failures occur right after main dealer services.........

Claudius, Scoob engines, unlike those in Evos, are made of chocolate..LOL..they need to be very well cared for. A ragging from cold and immediate shut down by some inexperienced *technician* , especially after a "dry" filter oil change, may well cause significant damage.

As for the road testing - it depends on what the car was in for in the first place. Even then, its a matter of respect for your property.

Brendan, well said mate

D

[Edited by Diablo - 8/1/2002 11:01:08 AM]
Old 08 February 2002, 07:19 PM
TKH
Scooby Regular

It shouldnt happen if your dealing with a quality dealer with a good reputation therefore find out who rates who and use the garage with the best reputation and if your really worried ask if you can speak to the mechanic who will be working on your car as you will often find that he or in some cases she will treat your car with more care and attention if you show an interset in them and what they do.
And please all you out there do not tar everyone with the same brush some of us are responsible good dealers.

However i would have to say that if it does happen dont p*ss about with the mechanic if he is a complete p***k whn driving your car then he will be no different to speak to ask to see the service manager or proprietor tell them what your problem is let them sort it out.

Regards

Tim

[Edited by TKH - 8/2/2002 7:22:15 PM]
Old 30 July 2002, 09:33 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

Just had a call from a friend of mine telling me that the way I took a roundabout with a WRX trying to keep up this afternoon was amazing! Not me I say because my car was at the dealer and they had it at 9am and delvered it back at 6pm.

Well he then says that it was definatly my car because it had 19's and full pimp tints.

What do you think I should do about this?

Not happy

Sam
Old 30 July 2002, 09:38 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

go ******* mental at the garage, i did and mine only went in for 4 new tyres, the *******s used over 1/4 a tank!

exactly the same story as yours only it was my parents that the idiot drove past like a lunatic.

garage said you drive like that anyway (which i probably did back then). i said so ******* what i bought the bloody thing not you!

it was a young mechanic that though he would take it for a blast.****!!!
Old 30 July 2002, 09:48 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Obviously i appreciate it's not always possible but i never leave my car with the keys with any1 if i'm paying sum1 a stoopid amount per hour i like 2 be stood right behind em so i no wot i'm getting for my money & makes sure they cant take pi$$ in it! But damn straight if such a thing were 2 happen i wood kick sum serious *** & want sum retribution or they'd get a fair public dissing by me which while aint attractive it is a good threat
Good luck then.
Si
Old 30 July 2002, 09:53 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Sammy,

You've got a STI UK right?
I'm sure you can check up with Trackstar as to where you car has been.
Once you get this info give the dealer some major sh**e [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Rob.
Old 30 July 2002, 10:00 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Go in person to the manager, you know where the car was seen, chances are the two cars were from same dealer- so other owner wouldnt be pleased either. What will they do if you get a penalty in the post. Atleast you can get a pic of who was driving, and i suppose you wouldnt go back there again.. anyway.
On another theme - would the car have had insurance, if they were using it for fun ( supposing area was nowhere near you)
scoobymanWRC
Scooby Regular

Sam & P20,

Name n shame em!
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
Wink

The same thing happened to me,when i took my car to have tracker fitted.
But the problem was it was me they passed at well over a ton.
So i went straight to the garage nowing my car wasnt there
then when the YOUNG pri-k got out of my car he got a smack on the nose .
And the manager give me £15 cash 4 the fuel as well and sacked the boy who took my car .

[Edited by scooby-si - 7/30/2002 10:02:41 PM]
Old 30 July 2002, 10:02 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Like Scooby-si, I had this a few years ago when I went to pick up my car after a full service.

A family member was taking me to a Fiat garage in Hastings when we were overtaken by a car valeter who had been home in the car. I went absoloutely banzai, nearly twated him and ended up getting the service for free.

Since then I have always waited for my car no matter how long the job takes.

Nathan..
Old 30 July 2002, 10:10 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Technical TWOC I reckon.

You would have to be able to prove the car was yours beyond doubt, though.

[Edited by BuRR - 7/30/2002 10:11:09 PM]
Old 30 July 2002, 10:17 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

...tbh, going on further than this......

[story mode]
I was on patrol in my Astra once upon a time, when I saw a car approaching me at what appeared to be high speed, and was taking some traffic-calming chicanes as though it was a speed-test. So much, I thought the car was stolen.

It ws only when it got within a few feet that I realised it was being driven by a mechanic from a well known outlet (Snoopy's owner )

Anyway, he saw me and slowed right down.

I was about to pull him, when I decided not to, and went back into the station.

I found out who the owner was - I needed to be sure the car wasn't stolen. I then telephoned the owner and determined that the vehicle was in for a service at the aformentioned garage.

I then approached the manager and explained what I had seen.

I don't know what happened after that, but I've not seen the mechanic since, and the owner was extremely appreciative of my actions.
[/story mode]

I also was subject to a car I had having the *** screwed off by a spotty 18year old mechanic - he made the wrong decision to drive by me one morning when my car was in for a service. Needless to say, he doesn't work at the garage any more.
Old 30 July 2002, 10:32 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

My car is booked into a body shop to have the spoiler resprayed. They want it 8AM and asked me to collect the following alvo/eve.

I think I will camp outside after hearing this!!
Old 30 July 2002, 10:35 PM
Luke
BANNED

Ask the manager to get the driver. ask the manager if he had permmision to drive the car. if he didnt call the police there and then. If he had ..then Knock him out then give the manager a good slap. Then Burn the garage down. Stop have a coffee/lunch . Then ask "Astraboy" to visit............
Old 30 July 2002, 10:40 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I always make a note of my mileage before leaving my motor with any of these c#nts.
Old 30 July 2002, 10:41 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

LOL Luke!
Old 30 July 2002, 10:44 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

ROTFL@Luke

Maybe Shark could help out with how to approach the manager and deal with it?
Old 30 July 2002, 10:54 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

sammyh, thats sh1te

Go to see the Manager, if he is any sort of a manager he will deal with it, hence the title 'Manager'.

If he doesnt, go to the next person in the management chain.

Good luck and dont be fobbed off!
Old 30 July 2002, 11:05 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Oooooo very very nasty !
Burning the place down sounds good ... :P
Old 30 July 2002, 11:09 PM
adamm
Scooby Regular

Wink

haa haa - buy a merc and set the speed limter to 10 mph - mechs are soooo stoopid they can't turn it off...

Old 30 July 2002, 11:21 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

This reminds me of a local dealer South of Sheffield (just off the A61). Sure they did 10 miles in it. The only thing I never understood was that they had used the rear seatbelts???

Any one knows that 4-up in a Scooby is not quick enough.

I now go to Monty's who are cheaper and more respectful of my car.
Old 30 July 2002, 11:29 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

My missus always writes the current miles on a sticker and sticks it on the centre of the steering wheel saying:

"Miles when dropped off at garage is: xxxxx"

That makes them think twice before taking it for a blast, or nipping home at lunchtime.

Mind you, there are times when they do *need* to do a road test, but for sure, it doesn't need to be driven like an idiot.

Cheers

Ian
Old 30 July 2002, 11:31 PM
Luke
BANNED

When leaving a car to be fixed etc. Tell the manager that you do not want the car to leave the garage. If it must have a road test, tell him you want a senior mec to do it. The car must be warmed up etc and only a resonable amount of milage will be acceptable.

Let them know their cards are marked.
Old 30 July 2002, 11:36 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

Was it Midland Impreza by any chance?
Old 30 July 2002, 11:50 PM
Esoteric Beast
Scooby Regular

Find out where the daft c**t who was driving it lives call round after a night on the beer and a curry and SH*T through his letterbox
Old 30 July 2002, 11:58 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i had the same happen to me ,quarter of a tank used by the boyshop subaru used in perth-donald kirk limited ,lucky my wife told me to calm down or i would have ended up in carstairs
martin

my local subaru garage just said they would pay for petrol-thanks!!!
Old 31 July 2002, 12:00 AM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

You could always call in the morning and say that you have had a call from the police saying that someone was reported to be driving like a fanny in your pride and joy, and you want an explanation as to who was driving and why.

Or you could ask them for a quote for car hire for one day, then tell them you would like this taking off of the bill.

Either way I would refuse to pay the full amount. You would'nt get away with asking to have a look at one of the cars on the forecourt and then bugger off for a 15min drive...
Old 31 July 2002, 12:13 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I had this in mind when I booked mine in for some mods to be done.
Booked the day off work so I could watch em.
Of course it's only coincidence that the date I booked it in is the very same day I get my licence back

Andy C
Old 31 July 2002, 12:26 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Hmmm my car is in next week, for a new bootlid, new spoiler, and fromnt door lock after theiving ******* had a go at it.

Bodyshop said they might need it for a week, the thought of taking the mileage had already occurred to me.

Incidentially whats the betting the courtesy car is a micra?

ps apologies if this appears twice!

Quick Reply: Mechanic races MY CAR - not happy