Sponsored by:

Adding Mods to your Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2001, 01:58 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I’ve just been quoted £192.15 by Privilege for adding on an exhaust system plus larger alloys for my MY99 UK. Worst thing is I’ve only got 6mths to go…..so what they are telling me is that it will cost me nearer £400 to have just those two items if I had just started my insurance.

Surely that figure can't be right.
Old 21 June 2001, 02:03 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It really does depend on the insurance company and their 'view' of modifications. I was recently quoted an additional £35 for a full PPP on my MY01 WRX with Direct Line (also 6 months to go)........
Old 21 June 2001, 02:18 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

And there will be an admin charge built into the figure so it will not necessarily be twice what you have been quoted at renewal..
Old 21 June 2001, 02:43 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say this Roadrunner, but I'm with Privilege and my SS backbox (classed as a like for like replacement) cost nothing extra. Glad I didn't change my wheels
Old 21 June 2001, 04:03 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi,
I'm with Catterall (forget which insurance company it is). I rang about changing to 17" wheels + exhaust and was told that if I did they would cancel my insurance

Rang again the next week to check (spoke to a different person) and they said there would be no increase not even an admin fee

Richard
Old 21 June 2001, 04:13 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Check the dealer cost for replacement of OEM wheels, IM will offer their normal competitive price eek!

Let them know the cost of your non standard items....should be substantially lower.

No added risk should equal no additional premium.

Info courtesy of Steve Chaps who successfully pleaded this.

B

[This message has been edited by banshi (edited 21 June 2001).]
Old 21 June 2001, 04:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rjh:
<B>Hi,
I'm with Catterall (forget which insurance company it is). I rang about changing to 17" wheels + exhaust and was told that if I did they would cancel my insurance

Rang again the next week to check (spoke to a different person) and they said there would be no increase not even an admin fee

Richard[/quote]

If i've said it once on here, i've said it a million times, PUT ANY POLICY CHANGES IN WRITING - it's a legally binding contract!!!!

Old 21 June 2001, 04:23 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Roadrunner, this needn't be the case.

I had this with privilege the other day.

Simple.

Go to teh power engineering day and get an rr print out for your car.

If your peak power (torque is irrelevant :eek is not up on standard they will not add a premium for your mods.

There is a way you can restrict boost so that power does not go up to a maximum, ask mervyn, I am sure he will know how.

As regards to the wheels, the reason your premium has been loaded is because they perceive the value of the car to have been increased, and will expect to have to pay out more in the event of a theft. If you tell them the standard alloys on the car were the same price, they will simply make a note on your file, and wave the excess premium.

At the moment they know about my aps brakes, but think that the ones that came off cost the same amount. i just didnt want them to have an excuse not to pay out.

I have my full exhaust, link, soon to be fmic, water inj etc. all cleared, so long as peak power does not exceed 280 bhp. All I have to do is dial down the boost, and peak power will never break 280!

Problem solved.

By the way, i have sent them an rr print out and already had my money refunded!
Old 21 June 2001, 04:29 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Dave
The other thing you've said it a million times, is that the poor old insurance industry are effectively losing money on all motoring policies written.

Remember they are extremely charitable, offering low cost premiums to us lucky motorists. So could all Scooby owners please take note and put a few surplus coppers into the underwriters begging bowl when you pass them huddled in their cardboard boxes on street corners

Old 21 June 2001, 04:37 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave - it's in writing already!

Richard
Old 21 June 2001, 06:24 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Angry

DavidLewis,

Be VERY careful. I too was told that my SS backbox was covered by privilege on a like for like basis.

When I came to change cars, and take the SS backbox with me, the guy I spoke to said that it was a &lt;10% performance enhancement, and would at 5% loading to the premium. If I had made a claim on the previous policy, and the SS backbox had been spotted, then I would not have been insured

Everyone else,

try greenlight.

I finally got pi$$ed with priviledge when a simple postcode move, 17" wheels and brake almost double the premium

Went to greenlight and got reinsured for less than I was already paying, they do like for like replacement on all mods, and you can get full replacement value track day cover for 65 quid per event.

Not bad.

Andrew.
Old 21 June 2001, 08:46 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by banshi:
<B>Dave
The other thing you've said it a million times, is that the poor old insurance industry are effectively losing money on all motoring policies written.

Remember they are extremely charitable, offering low cost premiums to us lucky motorists. So could all Scooby owners please take note and put a few surplus coppers into the underwriters begging bowl when you pass them huddled in their cardboard boxes on street corners

[/quote]

Well, Independent's underwriters are about to be on the dole queue......and they were selling insurance too cheap...

Old 21 June 2001, 10:55 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Serious mode today Dave been a hard one?
Old 21 June 2001, 11:05 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
why even ring to tell them,
what they don't know about won't hurt um!

just say they were on the car anyway! did they ask you when you took the policy out? that would be differant!

when i had the stainlees steel B/box fitted i told the insurance man when he came round (he had his area boss with him at the time) he said does it increase performance? i said no, just life time warranty on it and a better sound, i said i need a nu one and this never needs to be changed ever again! he said don't worry about it!
so, if i put anything else on! ie K&N57i or centre pipe, i've said nothing....i will say they were on the car when i bought it! as they were!

if i had 17"'s fitted i would tell them cus they are somthing that thieves would want to steel just for the wheels etc and the £1k it cost to buy.?!..it would be differant

Phil
Old 21 June 2001, 11:20 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

dteagles...

Interesting, I was quoted £10 for my PPP, but when i rang them they clearly didn't have a clue what it was. I was kept while they kept running back to the underwriters, in the end I had to tell them what the upgrade did in terms of power and substantiate it through the Prodrive literature...

While we're on the subject and DaveTS is on the case...

The certificate that came back says "modified turbocharger" on it, I have written to them twice to say that is not the case, to no avail, and my renewal cert still says the same, should I chase it or give up?

My insurance went down £100 this year

Cheers

Simon

PS Can I modify my turbo and not tell them ?
Old 22 June 2001, 12:13 AM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

I'll be ringing Privilege on Sat for round two!!!

If they stick with their quote of £79 for the exhaust and drop the £113.15 for the alloys I'll be happy.
Best way as Dave T-S says, own up to all mods!!. Due too if the dreaded day does come around and your insurance company sends some around who is knowledgeable and he/she finds out there are discrepancies on the car you'll end up losing everything just to save a few £.
Run the gauntlet at your own risk!

Anyway, thanks for all the tips guys

Giles
Old 22 June 2001, 08:14 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by banshi:
<B>Serious mode today Dave been a hard one?[/quote]

Sodding trains again mate. Wednesday - left home at 05:45 as usual, left office at 17:30, got home at 19:40 - 25 mins late.

Thursday, arrive home 45 mins late - nearly time to go to bed.....

Old 22 June 2001, 08:17 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Simes
I accept that many people that work in my industry have the brains of an amoeba - if you have put it in writing twice and they have admitted your car is modified you are PROBABLY ok to give up banging your head against the wall.....

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 22 June 2001, 11:10 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Has anyone had a claim refused because they didnt declare everything?

I was looking at a PPP'd car at the dealers. Theres no visible signs its been done other than the bbox!!!

Do they actually get that far into the car (look at chip and whats been done internally to the motor)????

I had head work done on an old car - how could they check without stripping down the engine?? Would they find a PPP etc ?

I was thinking that as long as you declared the bbox youd be safe..........?????

Jza
Old 22 June 2001, 11:12 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jza
A ppp WOULD be discovered.....the ECU has Prodrive stamped on it for a start...not worth the risk
Old 22 June 2001, 11:27 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

as I have said before,

you can put a link in, and up the boost to produce 1000lbft so long as you get a rolling road readout taht show peak power has not exceeded standard, privilege will not load your policy!

they have told me this time and time again.

Get a PPP, geta frendly rolling road operator, and restrict the boost.

Under standard bhp and you can declare every mod under the sun!
Old 22 June 2001, 02:33 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've got a 98 WRX and when I declared my Pipercross filter to Admiral with 6 months left, they whacked on £30 to my already hefty premium. Especially annoying considering my brother paid no extra to add a K&N and Magnex exhaust to his R19 16v ALSO WITH ADMIRAL!
Probably cos mine's an import or something, a dirty word that with insurance companies - so much more expensive to replace the parts and all that... not. They withdrew the 'hire car during repair' option ages ago because imports take so much longer to fix as well... not again. I believe my car shares most parts with a UK car (or at least they could be used to repair it) so they're taking the p**s with the difference in premiums AND reduced service. Another thing - I keep hearing that insurance companies are losing money on every premium. Well, they sure as hell haven't lost a penny through me. They've made a packet actually, so I've no sympathy with that idea as I'm not the cause. Maybe they should increase premiums a bit on your average car owner in 'lesser' cars (which make up a huge majority) instead of whacking it all on performance car owners and then using the import name to whack it up some stupid amount more. Rant over.

Edited to say rant not quite over. Just to point our some more stupidity involved in setting premiums, if I add my girlfriend to the insurance, it drops in price!!!???

[This message has been edited by scoobysnacks (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 22 June 2001, 03:13 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Insurance companies dont know what the hell they are doing.. makes me mad!!

You can phone one on Monday... get a quote.. or they will say one thing.. phone on another day.. and thats changed...

Do the employees/companies/underwritters talk to each other ? I think not!

I agree with Dave T-S though... when you tell them about the mod... ensure you get confimration back off them in writing that they have added the modification to your premium.

When I insure my modded cars.. I get a "modification form" off them..asking for detailed descriptions of all the mods.

This way there can be no confusion... again.. when a mod changes (added or removed) I refill in the form..

I just annoys me, like I said, when you dont get any consistency from a company.... does Tescos insure imported cars ? Maybe on Mondays and Thursday they do.. but not at other times...

J.
Old 22 June 2001, 04:43 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

O.K. to be safe, I called privilege (twice) to confirm my position.
The main issue is not that a back box has been fitted but how much does it increase your horsepower.

I always believed that the general consensus was that a SS BB did not increase peak bhp but improved the drivability of the car.....so at insurance time, I explained the details and that it did not give a power increase. No premium hike.

I checked SS website for indications of power increase. Pete illustrates 2 power curves on a terzo, one standard, one with filter, BB and <B>98RON fuel</B> The increase is from 228bhp -&gt; 247bhp (about 8%)

Although this is a false increase due to the use of 98RON, I gave these details to privilege. Any increase in power is 'banded' to provide a %age increase in premium. 0-10%, 11-20% 21-30 and so on. I have 6mths left on my policy and was charged £17 for an additional 10% increase in performance. It seems it doesn't matter what modifications you've made to reach your current performance figure (but I would still disclose them) only the extra power they provide. My Brembos, Leda, Cibies, Stereo/CD/Speaker upgrades carry no additional premium.

But, thats in my case. Each individual might be treated differently, who knows.
Old 22 June 2001, 05:12 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

davidlewis,

Pete is trying to sell a product!, why did you use his quote as an example of horsepower difference when obviously he will publish the one that makes the product look best.

He has rolling road graphs that show the ss exhaust to reduce the power.

Ask him for a copy of that, and show it to privilege and they will refund your money, as I have stated above, twice.

Privilege are v dumb, and dont know the diff between 95,97,98 etc.

They make it clear that everything is power related, and only peak power.

You could have an engine which develops a spike of 1000bhp at only 5674 rpm and 15 bhp everywhere else, and they would rate taht as a performance car.

equally you could modify the car to send the torque through the roof, and the premium would be unaffected because they are not educated.

This is not a bad things, it works to our advantage.

If insurance companies really knew about engines we would be worse off, at least I would be.
Old 22 June 2001, 05:23 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Adam,

I used Pete's example as a worst case. If thats the best Pete can find, then thats the most gain you can expect (better safe than sorry) I still think that its a not a power gain product and that I had declared everything satisfactorily, but for £17 there is now no question of cover.

hehehehe.....I tried explaining to them the sort of differences we can expect between warm weather/95RON fuel and cold weather/97RON fuel. Maybe we should pay an increase in the winter

Old 22 June 2001, 05:34 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I made no reference to increased power when I told them I had a Pipercross air filer. They just said £30 extra (for 6 months) because it's a 'non standard filter'. Performance increases didn't come into it. Any excuse to rip me off more. Maybe I should ring back and say I probably have no more power, just slightly better drivability, to see what they say... I bet they'll use the 'it's not standard sir' line...
Maybe I should say with tongue in cheek 'of course I'm now far more likely to crash or have my car stolen and it'll cost you much more to fix as well' and threaten to leave them. Do these tactics work on insurance companies like Admiral? Never tried it before. They should listen because they're making a lot more profit from me than they do from 99% of the rest of their customers...
Old 22 June 2001, 05:45 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>
Well, Independent's underwriters are about to be on the dole queue......and they were selling insurance too cheap...
[/quote]

Yeah, they were very helpful adn didn't charge any extra for my mods.

Downside is that now I can't even get track day cover on the policy (which again, compared to others was very cheap @ £52 per event)...
Old 22 June 2001, 05:45 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I gave these details to privilege. Any increase in power is 'banded' to provide a %age increase in premium. 0-10%, 11-20% 21-30 and so on. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what your all saying its 'Pot luck'.
Out of curiosity I've just been on Privileges www for some quotes. A RB5 is only £15 dearer than my standard turbo yet the RB5 is 240bhp? – I used the same Postcode, details etc.

Makes you wonder what their on!!!

Old 22 June 2001, 05:56 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Roadrunner,

I agree, it doesn't seem to be an exact science.

Quick Reply: Adding Mods to your Insurance