Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2001, 12:11 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stef,

Sorry mate, looks a bit pants to me

I would do either of two things:

1. Remove all three scoop/vents from your current bonnet and have them all flush fitted with that black plastic mesh or if you are hard, some of that shiny mesh. This way you have lots of hot air coming out.

2. Get yourself a bonnet off a Sport and fit that. If you want venting then get vents put in over locations that do not have electrics under them. Have a look at
Old 25 June 2001, 12:21 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

does look a bit 'nova upgrade with no instructions' like.

how about an inverted one like an elise?
Old 25 June 2001, 12:28 AM
manny
Scooby Regular

Hmmm.....people are gonna think you've gone mad, but if it serves a purpose fair enough.

manny (not convinced)
Old 25 June 2001, 12:28 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Stef

I think the scoop looks OK reversed - but maybe my judgement is called into question by liking the MY01!

You need to ensure that you are letting the hot air get out from the turbo when you are stationary after a fast run. If not, then kiss goodbye the paint on the bonnet over the turbo. At present the scoop lets hot air out of the engine bay with the car stationary in this case (try putting your hand over it if you don't believe me!). Personally, I like the current fashion of meshed holes without scoops (a la EVO VII), and as the top of the bonnet is a low pressure area the scoop isn't required to get the air out. Just make sure that you follow Ian's advice to avoid drowning the electrics.

I look forward to you posting a picture of the finished article.

Duncan
Old 25 June 2001, 12:34 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Stef

It looks a little odd backwards but it would probably be quite effective getting rid of the hot air at a standstill. I've already measured underbonnet temps when moving and anything above 15mph and the difference between outside and underbonnet is minimal( 5 degs).

My guess would be to put an EVO type vent in, for traffic and stopping and use the small scoop to channel air to the turbo.

You'd probably gain more by having less aerodynamic drag without the scoop - remember the P1's small lip spoiler is worth 4HP at 100 mph!

Another problem with it facing backwards is that more rain and washing water would enter the bonnet, but the evo type vent would do the same anyway.

F
Old 25 June 2001, 12:36 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Matt.
I was considering fitting an oil cooler there, especially after seeing this months 'Banzai'.

Chiark.
Where've you been???
See
Old 25 June 2001, 12:42 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I don't think a rear facing will pull the hot air out.

Lots of cars have rear facing scoops (Pontiac Firebirds, Camaro "shaker hoods") the reason for this is that the windscreen creates a build up of air pressure, forcing cold air into it (but not sucking in bugs and grit like forward facers)

This excerpt taken from GM archives:

"The shaker scoop has a combination of causes. The Trans Am hood has a hole cut in it to accommodate dual four-barrel carburetors for racing, Pontiac used the hole to install a shaker scoop that faced backwards to replace the forward facing scoops of previous designs. It was backward fitting because of air turbulence from the front and also because it sat in a neutral area just in front of the high pressure spot at the base of the wind shield. At full throttle, the shaker lid opened to suck air into the carb. This became a famous Trans Am feature and stayed for over twelve years."
Old 25 June 2001, 12:55 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Talking

I meant the APS cold air induction kit . I try to confuse
Old 25 June 2001, 11:45 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Question

Now that CK1 has a FMIC fitted, the top bonnet scoop is no longer serving a practical purpose, or is it?
I have been considering either fitting a completely new bonnet without a scoop or turning the scoop round, both of which would aid getting hot air out rather than cool air in. I saw a picci of a Jap car with the scoop reversed and thought it looked ok.
I experimented a bit with the scoop at the JAPS show on Saturday.
This is how it would look...

..and from the front....

...and from an angle....

Now I know it would look better without the other bonnet scoop on, and as the filter is now fed direct cold air this one isn't really needed either.
Should the sccop be kept and continue to feed cold air towards the turbo, etc?
Opinions?
Comments?

Stef.

Old 25 June 2001, 11:48 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stef,

I think it looks silly facing backwards but that's not really the main issue is it?

Have you already got an extra oil cooler 'cos if not, I'd be tempted to put one there and keep the scoop as normal. I know that Option advise that the first mod you make to a Scoob (particularly if going on the track) is a) remove the plastic undertray if you have one and b) fit an oil cooler....

Just my tuppence worth...

Matt
Old 25 June 2001, 11:52 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have you fitted the APS kit then? Any comments?

Scoop looks a tad different backwards, and you'll have Nova Boys pointing and laughing...
Old 25 June 2001, 01:32 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

My 10p worth.

The scooby is an ugly beast anyway (new and old shape) so i dont think the little scoop adds/detracts from the car. It all depends on whether your loaded or not

1) You loaded - get a new bonnet

2) You aint. Make it serve a function as best as possible and put up with it - it wont cost you anything and IMHO it makes the car destinctive (cant see why it looks max power - you do actually use the car to go quick so its not just some add). Cant you use it to push some cool air around the engine (it must have some benefit if it reduces the temp by even 1 degree)???

I cant believe its worth spending money to correct - surely you can live with it and spend money elsewhere!!

People know its your car 'cause of the scoop. Its like having a mole removed - you'd lose some individuality.

Jza
Old 25 June 2001, 01:43 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think the pics look great. Do it.

Reversing the scoop will draw warm air out at speed, especially when combined with the forward facing smaller one in front.

A good flow of cooling air over the engine/turbo will do wonders.

Besides, you could sign-write the front of it with "CK1". Hey, hang on...Why not relocate your registration to a sticker there, and improve air-flow to the FMIC !!!
Old 25 June 2001, 01:43 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

My main thought was that it would help get rid of hot air when moving. It appears that this would not really help that much, if at all.
Perhaps ducting something from it towards the turbo would be of more benefit?

Jza.
Good point.

Stef.
Old 25 June 2001, 01:44 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Davidbrown,

I think that is an interesting point, but can you compare two cars that are aerodynamically so different?

the trans am has a ferrari type profile with a long sloping bonnet and shallow angle windscreen.

surely the brick like front of teh scoob will mean that there is higher perssure generated by air smackiong into the upright intercooler, meaning the engine bay will be pressurised, with nice low pressure air going over the bonnet. I would have thought this would have the combined effect of blowing air out the back of the scoop.

Of course when the scoopis forward facing it would just generate more drag and turbulence under the bonnet, which I am sure would remove heat quite well.

Stef, try it both ways.

montor under bonnet temps in the same way as was suggested with the intercooler.

In short buy yourself some SPA guages!
Old 25 June 2001, 01:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Stef,
think you should go the sport bonnet route. Why? well, correct me if I'm wrong but you like the stealth approach to things, another reason (the real one? ) for the black colored fmic. Anyway, back to the point. The sport bonnet without scoop would give a more stealthy appearance to CK1 which is nice, plus other cars would think that they've be trounced by a sport (not that i'm saying you do this kind of thing, or would condone it). Also, might, and this is a longshot, act as a slight theft deterrent as would be thieves may think that it's just 'a sport with tarted up bits' (not what I think, tis nice car) and leave it alone.

my 2p worth
Old 25 June 2001, 02:11 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B>My 10p worth.

People know its your car 'cause of the scoop. Its like having a mole removed - you'd lose some individuality.

Jza[/quote]

You have a mole attached to your car? Easily done I guess. Usually hedgehogs and birds
Old 25 June 2001, 02:19 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Talking

No, don't go the sport route.
Go the GL route - take the spoiler off too. I'd love to see the next Ring video with CK1 on 15" steel rims!!

Simon
Old 25 June 2001, 02:30 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Stef,

Sorry to rain on your parade (maybe), but are you sure that the reversed scoop is legal ?

I know that in Australia it is illegal to have any rearward facing openings on the bonnet, due to problems with hot oil, water etc spraying up onto the windscreen and causing visibility problems.

Just a thought, you might want to check it out before you get pulled over by your local PC.

Thanks (and sorry),

Andrew.
Old 25 June 2001, 03:41 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would!

Check the airflow with a couple of bits of wool tied to the fins on the scoop, then drive along... Which way do they flow??

In some ways, making the car look less nickable might be a good idea considering your investment, but that kind of anonymous feeling is only good for so long! The question is what do they do on the WRC cars? That after all is what owning a scooby is all about!
Old 25 June 2001, 04:05 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Put a sport bonnet on it to keep the hot air in, hot air being less dense than cold, and with no where to escape, you will effectively make the car lighter enabling you to float around on as cushion of air.
p.s nice garden!

[This message has been edited by Moz (edited 25 June 2001).]
Old 25 June 2001, 04:17 PM
craigamungos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stef,
Like i said when i saw you at craig's BBQ it looks very different, I'm not sure i like it but maybe it's because i'm so use to seeing it the other way.
I'm sure which ever option you take it'll be the right one as CK1 is the car
By the way the repair job is ace couldn't tell it had even been sprayed let alone pannels replaced. Might need your friends myself in November as i am dareing to take mine on track Once i'v got some brakes of course.
Old 25 June 2001, 04:50 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stef,

I think it will take something a whole lot bigger than your scoop to get rid of all your hot air

Adam,

Shows how old you are Not all Firebirds had a "ferrariesque" profile.......

Old 25 June 2001, 05:13 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Actually craig, the firebird that I know of is the one in smokey and the bandit .

I think you will find that the extract related to the trans am, which to my knowledge has always looked like knight rider, hence ferrariesque.

Then again, referring to my youth has never offended me.

Hit me where it hurts, my age
Old 25 June 2001, 05:42 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

A sport bonnet would be good, makes the car less likely to attract thieves & vandals. Take the rear spoiler off too and you have one hell of a Q-car.
Old 25 June 2001, 08:26 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Sorry, scoop backwards looks horrible

What does it look like if you just take the scoop off and cover the hole with some mesh? Are there boltholes around where the scoop would have been?
Old 25 June 2001, 09:06 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Stef, the way I see it is you could go for the stealth look of a sport bonnet and remove the rubber strip at the edge nearest the windscreen to draw out under bonnet heat when driving along, also would give the added benifit of not getting attenion from undesirables and giving other people a shock when a Sport blows them away!
Or reverse the Scoop to draw out hot air from the engine bay but draw even more attention from car thieving Scum to the car as the Scoop is reversed, so they think hey this muct be one serious trick Scoob, I wonder how fast it does go!!!

Finally stick an oil cooler in the scoop with a themostatic controll to keep it at the right temperature and also still allowing it to feed your turbo with cold air, which must get pretty hot judging by the times you do when you are on track.

If I had to choose myself without being able to test the various options first, I would go for the oil cooler option as this would still keep the car looking standard-ish and retain the cold air feed to the turbo at the same time and stop the oil/water temperatures from going through the roof.
Old 25 June 2001, 09:29 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry, think it looks awful backwards...but... could the FMIC/reverse scoop combo be marketed as a "winter pack"? Think how quickly your screen would defrost now...!

Top car by the way - looks great as a stealth machine with the low level spoiler too.

Steve
Old 25 June 2001, 09:34 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The 1988 Holden Commodore HSV Group A Walkinshaw 750 built homologation specials, of which I owned number 070 back in OZ has a bonnet scoop with air ducts at the front and a large air reverse duct at the back as standard. In fact all previous group A cars had reverse bonnet scoops. Purpose of this was to get the cool air in off the windscreen and let the hot air out the front duct. They are not illegal in OZ as these were standard factory fitted.

In the photo you can't see the opening at the back but it's open right across the whole scoop. The three fins at the front of the scoop is where the hot air escapes. Not much difference in angle to a scooby bonnet and not much difference in angle to a scooby windscreen either.

WREXY

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 25 June 2001).]
Old 25 June 2001, 10:11 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

As I suspected, in your picture WREXY the 'intake' scoop is much closer to the windscreen than Stef's reversed air scoop. I think Stef's scoop would be too far away from the high-pressure point at the bottom of the windscreen to draw in air.

In fact I wouldn't mind betting the air behind the scoop is pretty stagnant, so the hot air should migrate out of the engine bay. What happens when this air meets the fast-moving air that's come over the top of the scoop is anyone's guess, but I bet it involves turbulence.

Anyone got access to a wind tunnel

Quick Reply: Reverse The Scooby Scoop??????