Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

optimax

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2002, 10:57 PM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi has anyone else got these symptoms after useing optimax ,i have a lambda afr sensor in my car and when running optimax i have noticed the readings are showing leaner than usual ,this has been getting worse the more i use optimax ,do you think it is optimax contaminating the sensor or is sensor on way out ,the sensor is new 12 months ago
ssubaru
Old 27 July 2002, 11:11 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Another Optimax thread??

Your symptoms are very similar to those experienced by many others. As of yet, the suspected cause is fuel degradation, i.e. that Optimax loses it's octane rating over a period of time. If you look in Search, there was a very comprehensive thread devoted entirely to this quite recently.

But there are just as many people who scoff at the notion of Optimax degrading, so there's no difinitive answer yet.
Most people use an octane booster to ward off this problem. NF seems to be popular, though it's effectiveness with Optimax has been questioned by some. I personally use NOS and have never had problems.

Terry
Old 27 July 2002, 11:20 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
you MAY (totally unproven yet) get a batch of fuel that would degrade, thats not the sort of thing that would cause a trend over months, which is what is being described here.

It could be the sensor degrading or it could be the engine starting to run lean for numerous reasons. If you can, get hold of a new sensor and see what that reads, or get someone else to do a check for you if the levels are becoming dangerous.
Old 27 July 2002, 11:29 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fair enough John. Since Optimax was specifically mentioned, i'd assumed other variables had been eliminated. Maybe not then.

What are we doing here this late on a saturday anyway?!
Old 28 July 2002, 12:21 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
good question! Personally i am chilling out after the last 4 weekends have been manic! What's your excuse?
Old 28 July 2002, 12:40 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Too warm to sleep. Naff all on TV. Don't have to get up early tomorrow morning. Hey, i knew i could justify it to myself if i tried hard enough..!!