Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2001, 12:23 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Mojo,

I would take advice asap.

I'm sorry the person I know is a client and he worked on my little speeding incident as a favour for me...he is normally a Criminal Lawyer but assisted FOC for various reasons..

I know the tunnel well...and like Chiark have used it to listen in awe at the sound of the "backbox" travelling through...

However unfortunately it is very definately a 30 zone. The one thing in your favour is that strictly speaking I don't think that would be classed as undertaking...mainly (IMHO) the right hand lane is for right turning traffic only...and the left is for left or straight on traffic only...as I said tho...IMHO.

The speed thing is undebatable...

Sorry couldn't be of any more assistance.

Rum
Old 25 June 2001, 10:38 AM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

OK, I know I don't really have any excuse but I've been caught speeding this morning.

The background to this is as follows:

I was approaching Leeds / Bradford airport (for those that know it) from Leeds. As I reached the tunnel the road splits into two. Right for the airport and left for straight on. The bus I was following moved into the right lane straight away and I stuck to the left lane. The bus was travelling quite slowly so I decided to squirt passed it and then got back down to speed. I did this because I've had experience of large vehicles wandering a little so I wanted to clear the hazard quickly. Therefore I saw it as a mannouvre.

Of course sat before the round-a-bout at the end of the tunnel was a nice police car with speed gun. Who, when he pulled me over, said I was undertaking at twice the limit.

I've been issued a court appearance thingy and need to know what my best course of action is.

Cheers Guys

Mojo
Old 25 June 2001, 11:00 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

*gulp* I've used that tunnel to, erm, "test" the sound of SS backbox. Will be ultra careful.

Suggest if you want to fight it you get in contact with Andreas the Solicitor, who seems universally recommended. A search will reveal his number.
Old 25 June 2001, 11:06 AM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Must remember to keep an eye out down that tunnel. Thanks for the tip.

I must say I like the way you have written the description of how you passed the bus

Old 25 June 2001, 11:07 AM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Chiark,

What do you reckon then? You know the tunnel It's not the place to get squished by a bus.

Does the manouvre excuse hold any water?
Old 25 June 2001, 11:17 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I do know the tunnel, and also the roundabout at the end. I would not want to be inside a bus trying to go around that roundabout as it's very tight.

As a defence, I can see someone immediately saying, "why not slow down then" in response to it. The next question that follows, "were you in a rush", is very loaded against you.

Take advice on this one. Andreas seems recommended. Failing that, Rum's offices are in Yeadon and I believe he may know someone local?
Old 25 June 2001, 01:39 PM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Chiark,

I know what you mean, it's very easy to make anything I say look bad.
Trouble is I know that I was just nipping past the bus and had no intention of blasting off into the horizon.
I wasn't in any hurry I just (what's the phrase?) "Wanted to make due progress"

I know the officer won't have seen it like that and of course wouldn't have had any way of knowing what I planned to do.

I don't dispute that I went over the limit (possibly don't think it was that high), but I did it because I felt it was the best option.....

I have a family solicitor, but he's not available until tomorrow.
Old 25 June 2001, 03:58 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mojo

Can't really help on the advice front, except be polite and keep calm. Oh and get a good solicitor.

Anyway Good Luck.

David
Old 25 June 2001, 05:17 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Best course of action probably depends on what they are actually charging you with. What does it say on the summons?