Sponsored by:

Catseyes speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 12:52 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Maybe we can get the Daily Star to sensationalise how many speed cameras are being vandalised and to what extent. That's a sure fire way to start a craze with the inclined.

The danger is that the Police go 'underground' and hid the cameras....

F
Old 20 June 2001, 08:00 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I posted up a thread on this a little while back .... when it was talked about as a possibility ....

well it's now set to become a reality ....

speed cameras are to be hidden in catseyes to trap thousands of drivers and generate extra millions of pounds for police officers.

Police are expected to bring in these cameras if they get Home Office approval later this year. They've already been trialled in London ... and will be rolled out as soon as they get the go ahead.

The devices will be invisible to drivers who will mistake them for standards catseyes ... so be warned ......
Old 20 June 2001, 08:08 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm puzzled, why aren't speed cameras vandalised more often? Bus shelters, toilets, phone box's, community centres are all damaged but I haven't seen 1 speed camera around my area that has been targeted.

F
Old 20 June 2001, 09:28 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

spraypaint cans at the ready....

Someone should organise a national campaign.
Old 20 June 2001, 09:36 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Surely the geodesy would be updated with info on these things?
Old 20 June 2001, 09:44 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Wink

If I were the mischevous type I would smear banana over the lenses of speed cameras. Once dry, it is a nightmare to get off and renders the camera useless without actually damaging it.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 20 June 2001).]
Old 20 June 2001, 10:04 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Angry

I wanna know if there are any muppets on this board that voted Labour!

Cem
Old 20 June 2001, 10:21 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

So do they emit a signal to measure speed? if so,would todays radar detectors be able to spot them?
Old 20 June 2001, 10:25 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

They are to run digitally, so same as SPECS as in no my BEL 980 won't work...DOH!
Old 20 June 2001, 10:42 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Damn!! but they would need to rip up the road to get cabling etc to them, so their locations would be quite well known, and we could slow down on those areas, and the cost of running them would soon become unprofitable.
Not that thats ever stopped a bad idea being flogged, que the Dome.
I cant believe all they ever do is work on speeding, its far more dangerous to be unatentive, or careless, or inconsiderate, these people cause accidents, you dont have to speed to tailgate, or run a red light, or miss a car turning, yet its always speed they try and nail.
Im going to spear these things with a long metal pole if I go by them, though I suppose if I caused n accident while doing that, they'd say it was my fault too.
Old 20 June 2001, 10:57 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blow Dog:
<B>I wanna know if there are any muppets on this board that voted Labour!

Cem[/quote]

mmm... i'd always assumed that this stuff was from the DoT, Home Office, etc - the civil service folk rather than from the elected goverment. So it would make no difference who you voted for.

In fact, David Blunkett seems to be on the side of the angels, if this is anything to go by:
Old 20 June 2001, 02:42 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Question

I've seen articles on these before and always suspected the claims to be exagerated.

These are the solar powered cats-eyes that store power during the day and have ultra-bright led's that react to peoples headlights.

Not only do they have better visibility, but they also *change color* dependent on speed!!!

I had read that they could be wireless or communicate via a thin wire down the centre line, needing little more time to fit than a standard cats-eye.

Now it is claimed that they have miniture camera's that photograph the numberplate, ocr it, relay it down the private 'cats-eye' network to be photographed later on for the second picture (a-la specs).

'In Theory' this eminently do-able. In fact I would go so far as to say ingeneous, you could get the speed of cars between cats-eyes over the entire route of the journey. Traffic-master have proved the technology and the chip set is volume proven... But...

I think we may over estimating the ability of these devices. Lit cats-eyes is one thing camera cats-eyes is another.
Small camera's are available... but high resolution small cameras are prohibitavely expensive.
How do these things communicate to the police stations? this requires further roadside infrastructure - more than just fitting cats-eyes.
All the proof of concept I have seen is for lit cats-eyes not for camera ones.

Overall I think they may well want them, but I don't think they have gone past concept state *yet*

If/when it happens though, we all might as well un-register our scoobies, as the only place we'll be able to use them is on a track... You wouldn't dare drive them on the road (especially one with an extra (thin) tar centre line!)

c
Old 21 June 2001, 12:49 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats it....im gona run over every CAT i see.

(1st 'Muppet' post! sorry but i could'nt resist)
Old 21 June 2001, 07:59 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I can assure you that these have been trialled already ....

and they are awaiting Home Office approval ... so claims not being exaggerated at all.

yes ... they do have safety implications as well in that they'll warn you of fog etc etc ....

but speed cameras in catseyes are a reality ... and coming to a place near you SOON
Old 21 June 2001, 08:44 AM
Dark Muppet
Scooby Regular

Talking

They are probably being prototyped at the moment, true. BUT things like OCR, mintature digital cameras, radio transmission of data etc etc is all seriously expensive. These things would have to be designed to millitary spec to survive the pounding they're gonna get on the road(25 ton lorries driving over them day in day out, thermal shock from repeated heating and freezing etc etc. Millitary grade componants cost ££££ (typically 4X the commercial grade). You would be looking at 30-40K per catseye.

I did have another thought about these last night. If the company who makes them wants to raise awareness of it's <B><I>other</I></B> products then what better way to do it than release such a story. Cats eyes that blink at you when it's icy is'nt does capture the public imagination like ones that do you for speeding.

I look on their website
Old 21 June 2001, 08:50 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

****Once again, the following is for entertainment purposes only and not a serious suggestion*****
Behold, one simple solution. Not an option for the AWD boys, But I will just roll up to them at 3am and do a massive burnout on them. Heh, try taking a picture with 2inches of rubber on ya lense ya bastids!!
Up the Motoring Revolution,
astraboy.
Old 23 June 2001, 12:50 AM
MrWood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

How about having bonnet mounted, stick on reg plates? I'll bet they can't see these from down there! This would also allow a better airflow through a nice front mounted intercooler!

Not that I condone such behaviour, but I heared a story about someone in a tractor unit, putting a large chain around the base of a Gatso, and pulling them up!!!
True or False? I dunno! But sounds like a good idea!
Old 23 June 2001, 03:49 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

I loved playing MARBLES as a kid, do you think it might make a come back, do toy shops still sell them or can anyone think of where they might be available.
Old 23 June 2001, 04:31 AM
NaturallyAspirated
Scooby Newbie

Im just waiting for them to bring those cameras to the US. Its pretty rediculous out there. I feel bad for you all.

-Mike
Old 25 June 2001, 12:03 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Seen a recent article in the national press about these.
When are they going to realise its not speed that kills but crap driving? The Goverment funded Transport Developement Laboratory investigated over 2000 accidents and less than 7% were due to speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the police spent as much time and money on murderers, sex offenders etc the country would be a lot safer.
Also according to the newspaper article it takes a picture of your front plate.
What about bikes?
I'm for stick on bonnet/bumper plates.
Have seen plenty of gatso cameras pointing to the sky or stright at the ground. Have also seen several that have been sprayed.
Give the motorist a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon