Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone from a Scooby to an Octavia RS?

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2002, 10:38 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi,
I've owned my UK spec turbo for a couple of years now and think it's a fantastic car with loads of character (especially with a loud exhaust ). I've made the decision to sell it and take a company car instead (tough decision ) - a Scoob isn't an option, about the only fun car that's reasonable on tax is the Octavia RS. I know people on here have them and rave about them but has anyone gone from a Scoob to one? I'm just a bit worried they're a bit "normal" after the Impreza.

I'd also be interested in how easy they are to modify (it's gotta be discreet tho )

Thanks

Richard
Old 25 July 2002, 10:49 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

SWRTWannabe went from an impreza sport to an RS, so not quite the same thing but may be worth asking his opinion.

If you are willing to modify it - consider an octavia 4x4? Bit more expensive to start with, probably a higher tax bracket, (more toys tho) but £500 on a chip and it will break 200bhp.

Just a (biased ) thought.
Old 25 July 2002, 10:51 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Actually, shouldn't this be in "other marques?"

Old 25 July 2002, 10:53 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

it is supposed to have the 1.8 t engine with 180bhp so you could get it chipped to tt level(225bhp) VIA SUPERCHIPS OR THERE IS SOMEONE DOING UPGRADES IN EVO MAGAZINE,ONE OF MY MATES HAS A A3 1.8T UPGRADED TO 210BHP WITH NO PROBLEMS
Old 25 July 2002, 11:03 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

p1 looks like u slipped and hit the CAPSLOCK KEY!

Can't see why you couldn't fit a dawes device to the Octavia.. maybee I'll go into the carpark and plug mine into SWRT's He took me for a test drive..
My comments :
Smooth power dilvery.
comfy seats
Tiny Tiny FMIC
I liked it.. but over a scoob, I dont know.

[edited to add topic comments]
well its comparing the scoob to the RS so it should be here

[Edited by Dizzy - 7/25/2002 11:04:22 AM]
Old 25 July 2002, 11:06 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'm after comparisons from people who've owned an Impreza so it is Scooby related - I already know what people think of the car in isolation.

The 4x4 is too much of a normal car for me - it's not as focused as the RS. I'd be interested to hear from people who've chipped their cars tho.

Richard
Old 25 July 2002, 11:22 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tavia Rs shuold be along soon and once he starts talkin!!!!!
Old 25 July 2002, 11:23 AM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Wink

Depends how 'discreet' you want the mods to be?? Theres an Audi tuning web site by Total Audi Performance (in USA I think) that gives details and costs of various stages of tuning. EG. top level on an A4 1.8T is 500bhp but costs a few quid! Seems like a good place to start looking.
Old 25 July 2002, 11:30 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Smile

I don't want anything too wild, about the same performance as my Impreza (Ecutek1 + back box) would be nice I've got a test drive booked for the weekend but a long term view would be nice.

Richard
Old 25 July 2002, 11:36 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

My 4x4 is being chipped next Wed, I'll let you know how it goes, where are you based?
Old 25 July 2002, 11:45 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi,
I'd be interested to hear how you get on - I'm based in Rugby.

Richard
Old 25 July 2002, 11:47 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Cool, well it's being done at a tuner nr Peterborough, so I'll pass near you on Wed aft \ evening when done, if you want a quick look \ blast just let me know.

IC
Old 25 July 2002, 12:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I dunno what TaviaRS had before the octavia RS, but I'm sure he'll comment the RS is a top car.

Personally speaking, and I've not yet driven one, I am considering the Tavia as a replacement for the scooby if I decide to sell. Why? well, it's cheaper than the other VAG cars of the same spec, but retains most of the build quality, I'm not a badge snob, so don't mind it's a skoda, plus as it's cheaper, it means more cash for mods Plus, well, there is something satisfying at giving some badge snob a real run for thier money in a skoda!
Old 25 July 2002, 01:09 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Can't comment, ducked out of owning a Scoob in favour of the Skoda.

Others have seen mine in various places (Donington, the Ring and at meets), some have been passengers and some have driven it. They could give you a better idea of how it goes and handles compared to their Scoobs.
Old 25 July 2002, 01:18 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'll comment.

Around Donington my 2001 WRX and the Skoda were fairly equal.

Around the 'ring er.........."he" goes faster.

My impressions are, its as fast as mine in a straight line, and the brakes appear very good. My only negative point was after being in nice bucket seats, every time we went round a corner, Tavia nearly had me on his lap!

Old 25 July 2002, 01:23 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

<SWRT spits Coke over keyboard at Dizzy's suggestion of getting his mitts on my engine>

Going from the Sport to the Tavia was quite a big step - performance wise they fit a few more horses under the bonnet (but less thirsty horses). The interior is much nicer too than my MY99 Sport, and the Tavia's boot is large enough to live in!

I had test drives when I was choosing in the Tavia (two in fact - the second time was to convince myself that I hadn't dreamt I'd driven a decent Skoda ) and in the Scoob WRX, and the Tavia won.

Niggles with the WRX were :

* Seemed a little gutless at low revs
* Seats were less comfy
* Tavia has nice central locking remote / key in one unit. On the WRX, it was two separate bits, despite the fact that the key did have a transmitter in it
* Much higher running costs
* Costs more in first place!

Old 25 July 2002, 01:37 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks everyone. It's going to be a company car so running costs aren't really important. My Impreza still amazes me and makes me grin after having it 2 years - will the Octavia be able to do the same? I still want something that's going to be fun to drive.

Richard
Old 25 July 2002, 01:39 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

Certainly makes me grin - both driving it and when people say "Nice car, didn't believe it when I saw the Skoda badge"
If you haven't already, well worth arranging a test drive of one.
Old 25 July 2002, 01:47 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

heheh maybee we should have a "spirited" drive home and compare performance change over half way

IMHO there not really comparable for me..
I wanted 4wd, end of story, and still want it for the same reasons. I wouldn't consider myself a badge snob either and would definatly consider one next time.
Still Subaru has one of the finest sounding engines I've ever driven and every day the level of grip amazes me (and my other car is a westfield).

Only thing that will drive me away from subaru is the running costs and the vanalism it attracts ... Infact after SWRT telling me his servicing costs I almost fainted (my 60K is due )
Old 25 July 2002, 01:52 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Dizzy, I wanted 4wd also, so bought a 4wd Octavia. Nothing against FWD, just done it twice and fancied something different. Horses for courses.
Old 25 July 2002, 02:20 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Horses for courses.
lol I typed that then deleted it after the "do horses hunt" threads (I still laugh now)

as for 4wd doesnt the Scoda use the new "quattro" "4wd" system?

p.s. scoobs corner better

[Edited by Dizzy - 7/25/2002 2:21:12 PM]
Old 25 July 2002, 02:28 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

lol, yes, was scared of bringing up anything to do with animals on here, always gets an emotional response!

"Quattro" has become a brand name, it's the Haldex setup, as used on TT \ S3 \ 4motions and now all 4wd volvo's (oh joy!). It's virtually fwd most of the time, until 15 degrees of slip anywhere and then starts to send power elsewhere. Keeps fuel costs sensible but gives great traction out of bends etc. That said I only have 150bhp so it's not fighting with much.

Old 25 July 2002, 03:16 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I just think its a shame the used such an Iconic name on a TT... I've never experienced the 4wd "bite" in on a new one but can't help thinking it must really unbalance the car compared to permi 4wd.
Old 25 July 2002, 03:30 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Very very rare that I've felt it shifting power around, just feels like 4wd, very neutral. Remember it senses and reacts to slip in 15degrees of wheel rotation, thats more than you or I can sense.

The only time I've "felt" it shift power around, was driving through floods (about a foot or more) and a Citroen Picasso had got stranded right in the middle of this cobbled country lane. I had to drive two wheels on a verge to get round him, and with two wheels on cobbles, two on a muddy verge, all under water, I felt it transfer power side to side and front to rear as it pulled round him. That was a successful test in my book
Old 27 July 2002, 03:02 PM
HoonDevil
Scooby Regular

I've driven both - Octavia seems faster in a straight line but Sccoby corners far better. Interior better and with more toys in the Octavia but seats not so good as Subaru buckets. As a company car the Octavia is probably kinder in tax terms. Certainly not boring.
Old 02 August 2002, 09:42 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I knew these were well-built with good quality V.A.G materials, but having spent some time looking around one, I was well impressed !

Having read this thread, for those of you who have already bought one (an RS or 1.8T 4x4), my decision is down to whether to get the 4wd or not - ie a chipped 180 4x4 or standard 180 vRS.

SO !:-

vRS owners
----------
1. Do you get much wheelspin / torque steer with the ASR off ?
2. With ASR on, does it kill the power too much when starting off ?
3. What DON'T you like about the car ?

1.8T 4x4 owners
---------------
1. Are the brakes ok (smaller than the vRS) ?
2. Have you chipped to 180 or beyond ?
3. Does it roll too much ?
4. Do you regret not getting the vRS ?

Seriously considering part-ex'ing the Impreza (99 5 door)
Old 02 August 2002, 09:46 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some interesting things in dave walkers column in this months CCC regarding the VAG 1.8 turbo engine.

It's the same engine as on the audi TT, but there are sublte differences, but you can uprate certain parts with the TT ones, and get about 300hp without too much trouble it seems.

Paul
Old 02 August 2002, 09:50 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Yes - from my past Audi experience I know its a strong engine
- will be interesting to get some answers to the questions above on which model to get ^^^
Old 02 August 2002, 11:09 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Having now driven one I can say I'm impressed It's quick(ish), handles well and is good fun to drive. One thing tho, cos the torque curve is flat it doesn't always "feel" that fast. Jumping back into the Scooby (MY00 + bits) my impressions were:

Cheap looking interior
Superb seats
Lack of low down punch
Big ummph at the top end
That sound

The Scooby's gotta go, so far the Octavia's top of the list but I'm driving the Civic Type R on Saturday

Richard
Old 02 August 2002, 01:44 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

rjh

Did you get any impression of the Octavia feeling more 'solid' on the road at all ?

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from a Scooby to an Octavia RS?