Sponsored by:

HP on wheels or engine?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 05:54 AM
njc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The hp figures printed in catalog for scoobies are based on wheels or on engine output? Some people said all Japanese cars hp figures are based on engine where European cars based on wheels where some said all cars doesn't matter its Japanese, European or American cars are based on engine figures. Somebody knows the answer?
Old 20 June 2001, 08:28 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Manufacturers ALWAYS quote power at the flywheel, because it's the highest figure.

Mark.
Old 20 June 2001, 06:46 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

Say if the scooby is 280hp, what about on wheels power? any formula to that?
Old 20 June 2001, 06:50 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hyperex.
It depends on the treansmission losses which will obviously vary from car to car depending on tyres, pressures, oils, etc.

Stef.
Old 20 June 2001, 06:50 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hyperex.
It depends on the transmission losses which will obviously vary from car to car depending on tyres, pressures, oils, etc.

Stef.
Old 20 June 2001, 07:29 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hyperex,

Power at wheels should only concern someone if they want to do mods. Before you do anything to the car, you pick a RR and go run your car. Then, you mod the car and go to the same only RR again to see the power increase/loss. This is because different RR's are calibrated differently and no two RR's give the same readings.

To give an exaple, my friends 4wd RR In Aus shows 89kw (times 1.34 = 119.26hp) at wheels for UK/Aus Spec standard imprezza turbo, another one I know, for the same car, shows 108kw (times 1.34 = 144.72hp) at wheels.

For your information my friends RR shows 126kw (times 1.34 = 168.84hp} at wheels for a standard MY00, STI Version 6, 4 door sedan which the factory claims 280bhp at the flywheel.

WREXY.
Old 20 June 2001, 07:30 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stef:
<B>Hyperex.
It depends on the transmission losses which will obviously vary from car to car depending on tyres, pressures, oils, etc.

Stef.[/quote]

Stef, got it!! Thanks.

Hyper
Old 20 June 2001, 08:34 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

WREXY,

So according to what you said, your friend's 280hp sti on flywheel have only 168hp on wheels, thats more than a hundred hp difference , can it be that much between power of flywheel vs wheel? The time when your friend's sti recorded 168hp, the RR didn't show the hp for flywheel at the same time for comparison?

Hyper
Old 20 June 2001, 09:25 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hyperex,

No, in Australia they only show rear wheel hp. On one dyno RR, that same car shows 168 hp at wheels and on the other dyno RR it was 195hp at wheels.

So if the car is 280hp at flywheel from factory figures and one RR shows 168hp at wheels and the other shows 195hp at wheels with nothing changed to the car, which do you believe?

In my opinion, you can't use a RR (rolling road) to see what power you have at flywheel, because they all give different results. And the RR cannot work out REAL hp at flywheel. The ones that give a reading, for wheel and flywheel, use a mathematical formula to work out flywheel power which is inaccurate. Only engine dynamometer can give true flywheel hp. This is why in Australia the RR's do not give flywheel hp, only rear wheel hp.

The RR is good to go see power at wheels when your car is standard. You save this information, then you change exhaust and you go again to the RR, to see how much power you made at the wheels, but you must go to the same dyno you went at the start, to see the exact gain, otherwise if you go to a different RR, it will look like you made more power, or less power, because the other dyno will read different. This is the only true benefit from a RR.

If you have a friend and you want to compare your cars, that is, who has more power, again, the proper way is to go to the same dyno together to test, because if he goes to one RR and you go to another RR it will be wrong comparison. So don't worry about flywheel power because for this only an engine dyno will give correct figures and to do that you have to pull engine out of the car.

I hope I have not confused you. If there is something not clear ask me to explain.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 20 June 2001).]
Old 21 June 2001, 12:45 AM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

WREXY,
Just visited the link, very nice...... will change to unichip end of the year? Now still standard i suppose. Wise choice to bring your scooby all the way to Greece, don't have to start the mods from scratch.

Have you seen a 4 door WRX modified to 22b body? I seen it in Japan and taken some pics but don't know how to upload it in post

Actually i brought my scooby to NZ too (from 97 to 99), just like what you did now. Done a lot of mods there (Auckland) though, like;
Pod filter with bigger inlet pipe to turbo, bigger tmic, hybrid vf-23, jap ecu 1.3 bar, flywheel, big-single clutch, rear LSD shimmed, front to rear full exhaust, anti-lag, rev-limiter, suspension, tires, chasis hard bushes, intake fan, etc.

Spurner,
Maybe we are talking about the same 2 dyno you mentioned. There were actually 2 so call 4 wheel dyno when i was there, one of it have been all time no operatable where the other one was a 2 x 2 wheel dyno (done a test there recorded 320hp and not sure if its on wheel or flywheel), they combine both together. The comment i got from different people said its not accurate. So are there any new proper ones available now after 99?

Hyper

[This message has been edited by Hyperex (edited 21 June 2001).]
Old 21 June 2001, 04:15 AM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

Thanks WREXY,

I used to lived in NZ where no 4 wheels dyno were available. And always i heard from different people that its only available in Aus. Its not true? Do you own a WRX in Greece? Possible to buy one there?

Hyper
Old 21 June 2001, 08:06 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hyperex,

Yes I own one, pictures can be seen here of it, near the bottom of the page, under some other peoples rexes, click here,
Old 21 June 2001, 08:08 AM
spurner
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hyperex:
<B>Thanks WREXY,
I used to lived in NZ where no 4 wheels dyno were available Hyper[/quote]

You must have left a long time ago, there are 2 here now.
Old 21 June 2001, 08:16 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hyperex, I forgot to mention that, last week I found out that there is now one 4wd RR here in Greece.

WREXY.
Old 21 June 2001, 01:07 PM
nitro
Scooby Regular

Just for interests sake the latest ZOOM mag
here in ozz with the perFOURmanz car it was engine dynoed @450 hp on 98 octane fuel.
On the rolling road it did 340 hp @ the wheels if this is any help. But again entirely two different dyno,s however there may be a formula there for you.
Old 21 June 2001, 01:55 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hyperex,

Sorry I did not make myself clear. Only the modification parts I brought with me from Australia. I bought the car from Holland as it was much cheaper 15,000 GBP. In Greece it's 25,000 GBP. My friend who owns Croydon Autosport in Sydney who also is the importer for Blitz, Mugen, 5 Ziggen, and distributor and fitter of Unichip and APS products, came to Greece for a holiday and fitted the parts for me, since I bought them from his shop.

To send a picture go to
Old 21 June 2001, 04:19 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

Wrexy,

I clicked on that link but it asked me for user name and password. Can't find any where that could let me join. How?

Just double confirm, when i type in the post, do i use just one / or two // ?

No, my STI is v. 3 Type R
Old 21 June 2001, 04:27 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

test

Old 21 June 2001, 05:01 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hyperex,

You don't join and click the X to close the password. It will close and you can proceed.
You must type two //

On that page click browse and then your computer folders will come up and you can choose which folder you want to upload the picture from.

WREXY
Old 21 June 2001, 06:01 PM
Hyperex
Scooby Regular

Smile

WREXY,

Success..... pics will be in new thread.

Old 21 June 2001, 08:07 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great stuff Hyper!!!!

WREXY.