Sponsored by:

R5GT Turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2001, 04:41 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

One of my employees is selling his R5 Turbo, it's H reg, 36K miles and totally standard and immaculate. He's had it from new and it's always garaged. His profile is that he lives with his mum and he's 40, oh and he cycles to work wearing an anorak and a dayglow helmet.

How much is it worth and more importantly what should I offer?

F
Old 19 June 2001, 04:51 PM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most places charge £50 to taken 'em away now
Old 19 June 2001, 04:57 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bit tricky to price as a Renault 5 GT turbo in that condition is very rare (unique??) these days.

Parkers price guide state that a car of that age in above average condition is worth £1720. They reckon the trade in value of the car is £640

How much you offer him obviously depends on how desperate he is to sell and how guilty you would feel ripping him off!!

I would guess that if you are after one of these you are not going to find a better one so I would say a fair price is probably £2000.

Either way just don't let the Max muppets get their hands on it!
Old 20 June 2001, 08:33 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Joey

Thanks for the advice, I thought £1500 was about right but maybe I would go in at £1250 first. Don't know why I want it really, I guess it's the novelty value.

I think the R5 register boys would wet their knickers at this one.

F
Old 20 June 2001, 09:33 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Floyd, you lucky dog! I wanted an R5 turbo in '95 but the H-plate Raiders etc were priced ridiculously high, and all the rest were chipped & Max'd to oblivion.

I'd agree with the above, £1750 - £2000 is good. Standard ones are still very quick and I think they'll have quite a rarity value in a couple of years simply because they all get hacked around -- I'd look on it as an investment.

I love the feeling you get when you hit 3,250 rpm in those cars: the boost climbs, the torque kicks in and the car just flies. Turbo motor plus zero weight = big fun.

[This message has been edited by brickboy (edited 20 June 2001).]
Old 20 June 2001, 08:41 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

joey deacon - 'Either way just don't let the Max muppets get their hands on it!'

yeah would be a real shame if someone was to get it, put some big wheels on, a large exhaust and better brakes........... or is that us scooby drivers????

Seriously though, i've had a fair bit of past with these, if i remember the road test for that model, the in gear acceleration times eclipsed the same years 944 turbo around the 40-80mph mark!
hence why so many needed front ends, or was that when you went straight on in the wet round bends when the boost came on...

Just make sure the perc fan is working and all ok tho, as my 90h one failed, fused itself and started an underbonnet wiring loom/alternator fire !
Also the standard sized tyres (might have changed now) were a very 'moody' size with only a handful of companies making them, used to cost me a fortune!
great cars in there day though.