Thrashed from cold

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2001, 07:52 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Question time.

My Brother borrowed my 93 WRX this morning, drove it 70 odd miles & parked it for about 8 hours in the rain.

When he got it he decided to show off to the guys who he was with, 4 up, he red lined it and dumped the clutch at every oppotunity for about 5 mins.

WHAT the hell has he done damage wise to my car, 1 of the guys said the clutch smelt, big time for a long time.

Please let me know what to look at, possible change, oil etc.

Cheers

Old 16 June 2001, 08:04 PM
a2jcy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

[.

WHAT the hell has he done damage wise to my car, 1 of the guys said the clutch smelt, big time for a long time.

Cheers

[/B][/QUOTE

For a start try your BRAIN!!!!!

Old 16 June 2001, 08:06 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Ask you brother for £500+ for a new clutch for a start
Old 16 June 2001, 08:21 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Old 16 June 2001, 08:46 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Red face

Change the oil asap and kick your brother a bit!!!

Sounds like you might want a 'clutch contribution' too, cost me £393 for clutch change on my car (same as yours)!

Jon
Old 17 June 2001, 12:49 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Unfortunatly I'm about 7 inches shorter than him, he's a brick dodah house.

As for making him clear the car, no thanks, I have seen him wash his own car, so the sponge is on the floor covered in gravle, that does not mean anything to him, he just carries on using it.

Paying for the clutch is not my consern as it was on its way out anyway, its what other damage I can expect.

Cheers
Old 17 June 2001, 03:22 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by barge:
<B>Guys,

Question time.

My Brother borrowed my 93 WRX this morning, drove it 70 odd miles & parked it for about 8 hours in the rain.

When he got it he decided to show off to the guys who he was with, 4 up, he red lined it and dumped the clutch at every oppotunity for about 5 mins.

Cheers

[/quote]

Hi,

Doesn't sound to healthy, but I personally doubt that it will have caused too much damage, but then again I have hardly any mechanical knowledge!
I hate it when I see people get into their car and burn off straight away, it shows no mechanical sympathy at all!

I'd get somebody to have a look at the car to see if anything is wrong as a result of your brothers stupidness, if so I'd charge him!
I suppose you've just learnt that you shouldn't trust your brother with your car!

Andy.

Trending Topics

Old 17 June 2001, 07:08 AM
Jan Shim
Scooby Regular

Such acts of cruelty and violence should be reported to the pride police and seek a restraining order from the court!

Let's see, wet roads+full load+stock clutch+repeated dumping for 5 minutes.

Engine:
Depending on whether his launching skills were any good, i'd say the chances of the clutch slipping and engine over-revving beyond redline is very possible. If there's any damage, it would be either be broken already or will rear its head much later. As far as engine oil is concerned, 5 minutes is hardly any cause for concern.

Gearbox:
Assuming the road surface was wet and traction was a problem, the launch may have unnecessarily stressed the centre diff LSD bearing especially with the excess baggage. The lack of traction (if that's the case) would have the LSD overtime distributing traction between the front and rear wheels.

The above scnenario is no different to the problem I had when I raced a Skyline GTS-T last year. I prepared the scoob to launch at 5,000 rpm but inevitably the clutch slipped and revved to 9,000 rpm (I run a Link and had redline set to 9k). The whole time the clutch was trying to grab hard and when it did it launched the vehicle hard and shot past the GTS-T.

The clutch was burnt badly but still driveable and the smell lasted half a day. However, my LSD bearing was damaged and immediately started to make a loud whining noise in every gear, loudest in 4th and 5th. Apparently high RPM + shocks to the output shaft are not a good combination. While the bearing cost just $35, the whole job cost me $800 for labour and parts.

Jan
Old 17 June 2001, 10:49 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Cheers.

Aparently smoke was coming from the tyres, the engine was bouncing off the rev limiter at 7000, the clutch was slipping before hand and is still slipping, ar still stinks of clutch, I drove it this morning, OIL & Water levles are OK, I cant hear any knockings or rumbles that are new, but every time I pull away from lights I get another wiff of clutch.

I hope its just the clutch that is now fubar.

I'm gona change the oil this afternoon, who recomends what Oil ??
Old 17 June 2001, 11:00 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

barge,

bad news

I would distill your brother down to make some new oil.

Are you bigger then him? If so, I should suggest that he pays for a new clutch anyway, and washes your car daily for the next year. Should remind him of whos pride and joy it is. Tosser

robski
Old 17 June 2001, 12:40 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ooops.

Well, depends on the engine age (I take it this is the original engine in your WRX? ) and quality of the oil, but for oil to reach its maximum efficiency it needs to be at the right tempurature....I was advised by Barrattes that a good 10 mins was needed to get a good oil up to speed to lube everything up nicely. I dont think the Oil would of been damaged however, check the levels mind, including the water and antifreeze, just in case of head gasket issues...to be safe.

I would say that the clutch smelt purely due to the strain that was put on it of 4 men being in the car. 4 up puts enormous strain on the gearbox and drivetrain therefore causing the "burning" clutch smell.. Is it slipping at all now? Can any of the passengers confirm seeing any smoke on accelaration from 5000rpms start? if so, then you may need a new one. This is exactly how mine went on my MY97 WRX, ex girfriends dad managed to roger it nicely taking her 4 brothers out for a spin

So, check the levels, change the oil to be safe (not essential) and keep an eye on it for large knocking noises (big end failure)..

Hopefully you will be ok

Ron
Old 17 June 2001, 05:10 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ummm, get a new brother?

The engine IMHO probably won't have suffered that badly. Change the oil and filter to be on the safe side, looking at the condition of the oil as it comes out. If its not knocking now, hopefully you'll be ok.

Clutch wise, it sounds like he's knocked 3/4 k off the life of the clutch, but if your changing it anyway, ok. The more serious issue is the flywheel, if it got realy hot, you may need a new one to avoid clutch judder with the new one. The only way to tell is by looking at it.

David
Old 17 June 2001, 05:26 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sounds like he has possibly warped the centre plate a little,does it judder when cold now?
Might have even shagged the springs on the pressure plate
Darren
I never race mine until fully warmed up....
Old 17 June 2001, 09:49 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Would agree with shark on the flywheel, I have a similar age WRX which had always juddered slightly, clutch gave up recently. Flywheel was badly blistered and cracked too. Skimming not possible, it had to be replaced.

Prolly worth looking at it when you change the clutch.

Jon
Old 18 June 2001, 01:03 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Don't panic.. these cars can take some beating.. look at the demo cars from dealers, now they really get the full abusement. Still they don't fall apart every other day. (the cars) Bit of optimism won't hurt, better for the family relationship also.

hunk
Old 18 June 2001, 11:36 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Angry

The reason why I am the only person who drives my car
Old 18 June 2001, 04:11 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Polarbearit

Where did you get a clutch £393 & what make is it ??
Old 18 June 2001, 04:17 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Fitted an AP one, fitting by local garage £200, clutch £193, Trade Price @ Kingswood Autopart near Bristol!

Try ringing AP and asking who your local stockists are or you can try Kingswood and get them to post it. I have had alsorts of bits from them and they always do trade discount even though I am not trade!

Jon