Sponsored by:

Roofbars & Roofboxes

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2001, 12:52 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I recently bought a set of Thule bars for my 4 door, but haven't used them yet due to a bad back curtailing my canoeing activities.

The bars themselves are very high quality but i was slightly concerned at the strength of the trim strip on the car that the bars fix to. If you tighten the clamps too much it is very easy to bend the trim strip.

I posted a thread asking for others experience of them and this just seems to be how they are.

If you do a search under Thule you should find it.

Hope this helps.
Old 17 June 2001, 11:27 AM
APJ
Scooby Regular

With the recent arrival of another sprog (where do they come from?!) . . going on hols in the MY00 saloon this year is going to be cramped!

I've just realised that Thule have a roofbar system that fits the saloon - does anyone have any experience of it?

I'd be interested to hear how it fits on, whether it damages the car in any way, any any other experiences folks have.

Also . . has anybody ever fitted a roofbox on top of a saloon? Does it really look stupid?

And finally - any ecommendations for sjops/etailers offering discounted prices? Only looked at TheRoofboxCo so far who are cheaper then Halfords!

Cheers

Old 17 June 2001, 05:02 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi
Got a lot of experince with roof bars and boxes.
Check out
Old 17 June 2001, 11:35 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info so far folks - keep em coming!!
Old 18 June 2001, 11:55 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

I've got the Subaru roof rack for my MY00 4 door and it is without a doubt the hardest roof rack I have ever had the missfortune to fit on a car. It took my dealer over an hour to fit for the first time due to the anchor points under the roof trim. No problems with damage trim though.
Old 18 June 2001, 04:22 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I have the original Subaru item and it is a bit of a pig to fit first time, but takes about 5-10 minutes after that.
The problem I found with the Thule system is that it wouldnt fit a car with the smoked plastic wind deflectors (i.e. mine) and even if they weren't fitted, the plastic trim that the hooks grab just doesn't look up to the job (although I hear it's strong enough in use).
I have to say that the original item is extremely sturdy though and I was glad to go with that.

Neil.