Attention: Dave T-S. HEEELP

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2001, 06:33 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Dave,

My much awaited spoiler has now landed & I'd really like to get the thing on before Sunday's Essex SIDC meet.

Would really appreciate the benefit of your experience

Ta very muchly in advance.

Hugh
Old 15 June 2001, 07:52 PM
Carolyn T-S
Scooby Regular

Smile

Huge

Dave will definitely post instructions for you tonight - I need to feed him first
Old 15 June 2001, 09:20 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Carolyn.

Have actually got the existing spoiler off but am now entering the fullest extent of my DIY capabilities I suspect!!

Also looking forward to seeing the new MY01s on Sunday.

Hugh
Old 15 June 2001, 09:48 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Right – here goes!

Removal of old wing:
Unplug brake light wiring connector at left hand side under bootlid (has a safety clip on it, use a thin electrical screwdriver to push the clip tab in).

Unscrew two 10mm nuts holding spoiler on at each side (rearmost is hidden under a cone shaped rubber bung which just twists off). (Take care spoiler does not fall off on to bootlid, keep hold of it).

Front mount of spoiler is a plastic lug that plugs into a plastic socket on the bootlid top. Carefully prise the plastic socket out of the bootlid on each side along with the rubber washer underneath it and keep them in case you want to refit the original at a future date.

Fitting new wing:
Mine probably had detail differences to yours – principle should be the same.

My notes designed to be able to remove easily in future if required with no damage to car.

If possible, it is a much easier job with two people.

To save damage to bootlid and seal the gap in-between wing and lid you need to use some sort of seal in between. You may get a seal included with the wing. If not, I have used 10mm wide brown stick on draught excluder strip (glue on one side only) and have also used Sellotape self adhesive fixer strip (glue on both sides).

If you use strip with sticky on both sides it is tricky to line up to get the screws in when you mount it on the bootlid, so I would recommend single sticky sided stuff.

You need to stick the strip of your choice to the base of the spoiler, all the way round, just in from the edge where it makes contact with the bootlid so it does not stick out of the side when mounted. Leave a 25mm gap in the strip in the centre under the stop lamp otherwise water gets trapped behind it.

On one of our wings I used clear silicone sealer round the screw and wiring holes on top of the bootlid before mounting the wing to stop water seeping through. DO NOT DO THIS – it welds the wing to the bootlid and it is VERY difficult to get off!! If you do get subsequent water leaks, use a bit of silicon sealant round the screw heads from inside the bootlid.

You can now mount the wing on the bootlid – feeding the brake light wiring through the hole through the bootlid first. Line the screw holes up (presuming yours uses captive nuts bonded into the base of the wing) and fit the screws from under the bootlid. Put a good blob of Loctite if you have any, if not a touch up paint lacquer or nail varnish, on to the screw threads before inserting them to make sure they do not come undone. Tighten them down fairly tight but be careful, not too tight, it may pull the captive nuts out of the bottom of the wing.

There may be a third screw mount bonded into the wing plus others across the middle. You can’t use these without drilling extra holes in the bootlid which means problems if you want to put the old wing back. Mine was only held with two screws either side and if the screws are locked in as above will be fine.

Brake light wiring – you probably have just two bare wires coming out with no wiring plug on the end of it. If so, you need to fix two male crimp on bullet connectors to the wiring from the lamp. Cut the wiring plug off the old spoiler about 35mm before the connecting plug and fit two crimp on female bullets. Clip the bullets together (the wiring colours probably do not match from loom to new wing so guess, test the brake light – LED’s are polarity sensitive so if it doesn’t work swap the wires at the bullets) and join the wiring connector back together.

Refit the rubber bungs.

FINISHED!

It’s not as bad as it sounds – I’m at Scoobysport and around and about tomorrow – if you have any probs ring me at home on 01799 599093 from mid afternoon or before that on my mobile on 07767 623110.

Cheers

Dave
Old 15 June 2001, 09:52 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Cool

PS - probably bring both cars Sunday - Leda suspension fitted on Carolyn's today, mine next Saturday.
SS WRC wing plus colour coded skirts and Morette covers being fitted on both tomorrow, plus my Speedlines/S03's; will get PIAA's on also if have time!!!
Old 15 June 2001, 10:27 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

Dave/Carolyn

Off topic I know, but I would love to see some pics of the new cars when they have undergone pete's surgery!

Thanks

Jon
Old 15 June 2001, 10:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Dave/Carolyn

Fancy a convoy with me & Ez?

Meet Haverhill or something?

Trending Topics

Old 15 June 2001, 11:21 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks Dave!

I'll get to it tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed the wing will still be on when I arrive at the pub!!

Definitely owe you a drink.

Hugh
Old 16 June 2001, 06:35 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B>Dave/Carolyn

Off topic I know, but I would love to see some pics of the new cars when they have undergone pete's surgery!

Thanks

Jon[/quote]

Jon
Will post some up when complete, after today should just be Leda suspension on mine, and Brembos plus front and rear lip spoilers on both!!

Old 16 June 2001, 06:36 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>Dave/Carolyn

Fancy a convoy with me & Ez?

Meet Haverhill or something?

[/quote]

Puff
Good idea! I'll catch up with you later today.....

Old 16 June 2001, 10:34 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Bought mine from Dave 2 weeks ago and, after respraying cool grey, fitted it yesterday. The old one came off really easily and managed to drill the extra hole without problem - used touch up paint around the new hole. I used a soft foam strip (single sided adhesive) around the bottom edge (6mm x 5mm thick). The centre section has a slight gap between the foam and the boot lid (0.5mm) on the leading edge, whereas the rest is completely compressed - obviously the spoiler profile is more curved than the boot. I could drill more holes but will put a piece of double tap along the foam and refit it. Wife isn't too impressed but I think it looks great!

[This message has been edited by Iain P (edited 16 June 2001).]
Old 16 June 2001, 04:56 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Cool

Now fitted!! Most of the tricky parts done by my other half though

Have just returned from having new EBC turbodisks & Red Stuff pads fitted, so with the 24 month service also having been done this week am feeling considerably poorer than I was last weekend.

Still needs must

Many thanks Dave - the advice was invaluable. If a muppett could do it...

Hugh
Old 18 June 2001, 12:22 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reincarnation

Old 18 June 2001, 01:05 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Huge/Iain