Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At last David Richards might drag rallying into 21st C.

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2000, 10:33 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave Richards take over of ISC - the company with the television rights to the world rally championship - means that his new proposals may see world rallying updated for the 21st century, at last.

His new proposal would see the chop for the amateur competitor on world championship events as the overall number of competitors is reduced.

IMO this should have happened 20 years ago - this is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP and yet it still allows virtually any old chap who has driven in 6 rallies to compete in is old Group N shed.

No wonder the image of the championship has suffered and a T.V deal has been so hard to come by.
Old 24 April 2000, 10:50 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

I dont really see your point Phil. Dont think for a second that GpN Rallying is not exciting. In recent years the GpN championships have been incredibly hard fought.

It also gives manufacturers the opportunity to show off the cars which are essentially showroom standard, a far stretch from the GpA and WRC regulations.

Your point about privateers driving sheds is way off the mark. The world championship is the very pinnacle of a drivers career and an entry in such an event is a very impressive thing. I can assure you it takes considerably more than just entering 6 events to get there and in my opinion allowing "amateurs" (Or as I would prefer to call them: non-works funded teams) to compete on the world stage can only be good for the sport, where else can we see a privateer equalling and beating the might of a works team??
Coverage is also essential for the private entrant to ensure a sound return for their hard sought sponsors.

I am a little suprised to hear DR is at the heart of this coming as he does from the ranks of privateers, however it should lead to better TV coverage of the rounds, be it with or without the GpN input.

The difference between GpN and WRC stage times is not a huge margin considering the performance advantage and the cost of running the car.

I just dont think we should be as quick to dismiss the very backbone of Rallying.

Richie

[This message has been edited by RichieC (edited 24-04-2000).]
Old 25 April 2000, 10:57 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Hi Richie - It must be me as I always seem to provoke a fight!!

I never said anything about Group N specifically.

IMO the top 20 drivers from groups, A8, A7, A6 and N4 are usually professionals with either factory or semi-factory support. These guys are good and as you say need media coverage.

However if you get signatures on your rally licence to upgrade to International rally you can enter any world rally championship event.

Want proof? Look at a recent entry list for the RAC rally. Some of these people are just out for a "ride around" - they aren't even interested in trying to get a good class result. They just want to say "I did the RAC rally".

This IMO doesn't create a good image for the professionals.

Old 26 April 2000, 05:40 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

My apologies, I assumed you were talking GpN as you mentioned the "Sheds".

R