Sponsored by:

Calling All Sports Bike Riders

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2001, 05:23 PM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am off to see a 2nd hand Fireblade tomorrow morning. 98 model, 1 owner, 7500 miles, ukbike, no mods - £4695.

Anyone got any 2nd hand buying tips, owners opinions, what to look out for etc. etc.
Old 13 June 2001, 05:28 PM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

A good choice sir, mmm suits you!
Seriously, check in case it has been dropped, see that the wheels are in line and look around the headstock for frame kinks.
Hondas generally have a good reputation for reliablity and build quality, but are often bought by 'born agains' (I hate that expression), who do not maintain the bike as it should be.
If it looks good it probably is, if it doesn't look good, walk away there are plenty more.
Good luck.
M
Old 13 June 2001, 05:38 PM
chambjj
Scooby Regular

Look at the tyres for a number of reasons.

Choice of tyres shows the type of owner.

Bridgestone BT56's are standard and suit the blade well, more racy compounds and tyres eg Dunlop 207GP would indicate a more serious rider.

Also if the tread is only worn in the middle it would indicate a slower type of rider.

Standard Blades are rare as they always seem to have pipes and tarted up body work.

DO a HPI check - most stolen bike

Good luck and have fun.
Old 13 June 2001, 05:39 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The 'no mods' bit is a good clue to its condition -- generally if it doesn't have an aftermarket end can and dynojet kit its owned by someone who won't have caned the nuts off it. Check all the docs & service stuff too ... good luck
Old 13 June 2001, 05:51 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

To check if its been on the track look at the fairing (if its not been scrathed it probably was replaced with a race fairing and the old "new" one put back now.) and look for "scrubbed" bolts that have touched down through track angle of dangles!!

Check the head bearings - hold on breaks and rock forward and back. if it clicks / theres play their gone!! Fair whack to replace and can hint at wheelies!

The gearbox is really clunky - so that ok, but check the clutch is ok.

Dont buy without riding it!

Check break levels are topped up - low and it suggests its not been looked after. Also check service history.

Blades are nicked a lot so HPI it.

Next - sorry to sound off but have you looked at the price of bikes at the mo - check Carnells prices for new blades. This guys asking a lot - a few thousand more than he wants gets you a minter!! The second hand bike markets dead price wise so haggle loads off that price!!!

Bike shops have 1 year old models that theyve had as trade ins for that sort of money as well!!!

Good luck mr B

Jza

PS Murray53 - born agains maintain their bikes better and IMHO are the best bike people to buy from!! They service them on the dot and get proper parts!! Its the 25-35 year olds you watch out for !!!
Old 13 June 2001, 06:10 PM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

Jza
Your experience of 'born agains' is different from mine, I know a few who get the bike serviced on time, but dont look at pressures, levels, chain tension etc in between. Maybe that is just Aberdeen though!

M

Old 13 June 2001, 06:52 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

As well as the major items mentioned above, check the tyres, chain, sprockets, brake pads, etc. are all good. You can soon be spending an additional £400-£500 if these need sorting in the near future.

I personally wouldn't buy a used bike without a full service history and an HPI Check.

The price sounds too high if its a private sale. Remember Motorcycle City / Carnells were recently doing 2000 Blades (totally different improved model) for just £6495 (I just wish I could afford the Insurance )

I think there are still some new '99 blades knocking around the dealers - I'm sure you could get a top deal on one of them! I can recommend P&D Motorcycles at Wakefield (Honda Main Dealer) - I've bought my last three Hondas from them (01924)372907.

Cheers,

Ian.

[This message has been edited by Ian E (edited 13 June 2001).]
Old 13 June 2001, 06:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if what jza has said about paying a bit more for new has got you thinking then bear this in mind- you will not know if the bike has been on a track, not a hope, if the owner doesnt want you to.

i know of track bikes that have been put back to standard before sale and you havent got a hope unless you "really" know your stuff.

things like worn peg bolts are almost of no use as a guide, mine came out the day i bought my bike, i jacked the pegs up on rearsets and thrashed it within an inch of its life- didnt put a mark on the bolts!

its also possible to disable the milometer on a bike in 2 mins max so i would be amazed if most used bikes miles are accurate.

hope this points you towards new or used from a dealer where theres some comeback.

i would never touch used.

tiggs

ps- if you still want it then enjoy it and ignore my over cautious approach.
Old 14 June 2001, 12:47 AM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

If it's a 98S (RR-W)from a dealer go for four and a half. R plate about a hundred less. The mileage is not that much lower than average.
Old 14 June 2001, 12:48 AM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

If it's a 98S (RR-W)from a dealer go for four and a half. R plate about a hundred less. The mileage is not that much lower than average.
Old 14 June 2001, 12:55 AM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Murray53:
<B>

... a few who get the bike serviced on time, but dont look at pressures, levels, chain tension etc ...

[/quote]

You talkin' 'bout me ?

(EK)