Sponsored by:

Not happy with this whole tuning business

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2002, 11:31 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

OK, to avoid any potential legal issues, I will not name names.

I'm also not writing this to complain or to invite "ooh, how ****, I feel for you" replies (hi Craig )

Here goes...

Beginning of June, I enquired about a FMIC with a UK company. I got an email back after a week or so, and thought... OK, that's what I need.

I ordered the 1K UKP FMIC thing the same day. No reply for a few days, so I sent my message again. This time, it was picked up somewhere, the order was confirmed, and shipment was promised for June 12th.

Seeing nothing arrive beginning of July (just how wide is that channel eh), I mailed them again. No reply. Mailed another address also belonging to that same company, and still ... no reply. And no FMIC.

I got the same with 2 other companies inquiring about dog boxes for 3 people. Yet I see the same companies having pats on the back for their excellent service yada yada yada...

Now before you say "don't email, just phone them" ... I have a job, so calling during office hours is not always easy, and I also think it's more convenient to put *exactly* what you want in words. Business used to be done by fax or letters, and email is not different IMHO. I'm also not a native English speaker, so having the possibility to think about how I put things is a big plus as well, so email is my favorite means of communication.

I don't know if the money has been deducted from my credit card yet (awaiting Visa statement) and I'm sloppy in that area anyway, but...

I am so mad and so dissapointed with the level of service in this whole tuning business, I no longer have words for it. OK, I have more money than brains probably, but that doesn't make the money worth any less I'd think ?

11K UKP is probably peanuts to all these great tuning companies, but can I still beg to have the decency to reply to emails, even from stupid foreigners like me ?

Thanks for your time, and you know who you are.

Theo
Old 14 July 2002, 11:38 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Theo - I know exactly how you feel AND I know why they're doing this.

It's a FO johnny foreigner thing.

FMIC eh? Been there, done that.
I'm, running a VF23 now - just had a 4-1 header installed as well.

Back on topic...(sorry) - I couldn't agree more on the email bit, it's the without comparison easiest, and most convenient way to do business, I simply cannot agree that most UK companies simply refuses to answer any enquiries sent that way?

Especially when there's a big weird sprout on the other hand with loads of moolah to spend?

There are exceptions though - and I will mention names now - David Reid Motorsport - awesome fella....he can't be a born limey, I refuse to believe that.

/J -
Old 14 July 2002, 11:44 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing, almost,

E-mailed a company reguarding an upgrade, and got the reply "Thanks for your enquiry, Please Ring Us".That was it!

If i was able to ring them i would have done so in the first place!

Sorry to hear about your problems

Rich.
Old 14 July 2002, 11:44 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Theo, I have had similar experiences and I am native to UK!

I sold my motorbike last year (rambling on again), to finance the mods I wanted to do...long story short, I had loads of money burning a hole in my pocket...could I buy the bits I wanted? could I buggery!
I had e-mailed, left messages on landlines and mobiles!

Ended up going to another company and spent my money with them!

Ran out of money now!

Regards, MD.
Old 14 July 2002, 11:58 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>It's a FO johnny foreigner thing.

LOL /J... look, I would even appreciate that reply, why not. But the eary silence is a lot worse.

Oh, and you finally got yourself a VF23 now then eh

Rich thanks, but they are in a way luxury problems. I won't sleep less because of it, it just ruins the whole experience.

MD: "I had loads of money burning a hole in my pocket"... that's exactly what it is, we are enthousiasts who will spend with a smile (and in my case not even ask for a discount or whatever)... then why is it so hard to part with said pocket money ?

If anything were to come out of this thread, I hope that these great big tuning companies start to realise that email is here to stay.

I replied on Sundays about 3 UKP printer cables back in 1994. Why the hell should this be an exception ?
Old 15 July 2002, 08:17 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

I read this thread and thought "should I reply or should I just leave it to someone else to jump in" as at the end of the day it has nothing to do with me, but sod it here it goes, the subject is close to my heart!

It really annoys me when people don't get back to me about things, you know, where you have to call them 10 times before you get to find out what you need!

So when I set up my company, customer service was the number one priority.

If someone is willing to spend any ammount of money, be it £12 on some NOS OB or £1000 on a FMIC they get returned calls and I make sure the level of service is constant, and that I believe is how it should be.

In all fairness there are times when it is impossible to get prices, for instance we have to rely on other people sometimes which then becomes a nightmare, but there is no excuse for unanswered emails, phone calls etc.

I'm not saying call us if you want the best service (well yes actually I am ) I'm just giving my two pennies worth!

Jamie
Old 15 July 2002, 08:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Theo, I can just see the excuse right now when you do hear from 'em.

"It's the supplier's fault"

So, these guys are making markup by buying things from the suppliers and selling on using a "just in time" supply chain. Or "not quite in time" as the case may be.

This may or may not be the case, and I don't know if this adds value, but I feel your frustration.
Old 15 July 2002, 01:13 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Theo

Ooh, how ****, I feel for you

BTW this is the voice of reason telling you to stop adding new bits and just fix the bits that aren't working properly first....

Or perhaps that's what the suppliers are thinking already and they are refusing to sell you new stuff Mind you with your history I could sell you a new FMIC knowing that in the next few months, I could sell you a few more to replace the ones you break....

Te He
F

Old 15 July 2002, 02:41 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

This wouldnt be the same tuning companies that give the best possible deals and service in the UK now would it.No names mentioned but when a well known supplier's exhaust didnt fit correctly they took it back twice to hit it with a large hammer and then when it still didnt fit they didnt want to know.
Wait and see if any of them come and reply with all their hangers on saying how good they are.Well done Jamie customer service should always come first.

Zippy
Old 15 July 2002, 02:50 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Zippy, I get the impression you dont like dealers of parts very much, what with the stalls thread and now this

Its just a hunch mind (as opposed to a hunch back?)

I HATE it when people dont ring back. I hate it when people are late. I hate it when people say they are going to e-mail pictures of Subaru seats that Ive offered to buy once Ive seen a picture but its been WEEKS now Ice Man .....

At the end of the day, and Jamie I obviously dont mean you , *crawlybumlick cos I know Zippy likes that* but for 99% of suppliers one customer is not important. There are lots more. And thats the problem.

Ive never bought ANYTHING for my scoob from anyone ( Jamie included, any fawning was just for Zippy's amusement, dont flame me PLEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSEE!!!) but I'd definately get very annoyed and take my pennies elsewhere if I was being messed about.

And we should all do the same.

Old 15 July 2002, 03:57 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Not convinced it is a Johnny Foreigner thing, as I am English living abroad and I am still waiting for replies from 2 well know Tuners in the UK about 2 seperate things, one of which could result in some money being spent very quickly.

The thing that pisses me off is when these company advertise email and web facilities then don't answer and when the do it is always due to email problems or our mail server was down etc etc etc. if you can't handle email requests then remove the service from your website.

[Edited by Wurzel - 7/15/2002 3:59:08 PM]
Old 15 July 2002, 04:01 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well you now know what to do don't you? Contact someone who take their time out to help.
Old 16 July 2002, 12:42 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Evil,try www.vividracing.com they are selling a Blitz FMIC for around $1,000 which is a very good deal,take your business elswhere i would.

Zippy
Old 16 July 2002, 12:54 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Oh how I sympathise with you!

Same problem for me as well. I know what I want, I have money, I want to spend it. Why is that a problem for tuning companies? Manufacturers can be just as bad.

OK, its only a Skoda and no-one seems to make part specifically for it (its mainly AUDI/VW mix), but the market is getting bigger. I know quite a few people who want to tune these cars and we all have the same problem. We email, we fax, we phone. I have now found 2 people who will help me out and do understand my requirements so they'll get my money. So, no, its not because you are a "foreigner", its because they can't be ar5ed! Plenty more fish in the sea and all those cliches.

Rant over.
Old 16 July 2002, 12:55 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

EvilB - not sure who you are on about, but its HKS or Blitz FMICs you are after, give Johnny @ Grasshopper a shout -> http://www.grasshopperprosport.co.uk/ - he should be able to sort you out.

Rgds, Alex