Sponsored by:

Evo VI - Running Costs

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2001, 06:12 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Mike cannot say bout circuit costs but my VI GSR used to do 13mpg on the road and never a lot better than that.13 was the usual.140 miles and have to fill up again.Needless to say, couldn't afford to keep it for long!

Tim
Old 05 June 2001, 07:30 AM
Kussimurran
Scooby Regular

I agree. I used to get about 150 miles per 50 litre tank bw fillups, super unleaded only, of course.

Servicing every 4500 miles as well. So I now drive an Integra Type R. Just as much fun, but more reasonable to live with.

Old 05 June 2001, 08:24 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Are EVOs really THAT thirsty?

Cem?

Thought they were about the same as an STI........or a little worse maybe?
Old 05 June 2001, 09:00 AM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike,

I took delivery of an Evo 6 RSX in February, and have been running it as my only car ever since.

I know that there are a lot of scare stories surrounding Evo fuel consumption, and I've got to admit that it isn't good, but it's no worse than my Impreza Catalunya was (at least under day to day driving conditions).

If I hadn't been carefully measuring the fuel economy recently, then I would have said that it was a lot worse than the Impreza. I think this perception stems from the fact that it must use Super Unleaded (and hence it costs more to fill up), and that you fill it more often due to the paltry 50 litre tank.

Currently, I'm getting about 18mpg if I drive 'enthusiastically', and about 24mpg on long motorway journeys. On the circuit, I wouldn't be surprised if this dipped down to about 10mpg.

I'm not really sure how to account for the difference between the figures I'm getting, and what others have said here. I can routinely get 200 miles per tank of urban driving (with the occasional blast thrown in ). Maybe it's because the RSX is lighter than the GSR (or perhaps my fellow Evo drivers forgot to take their lead wellies off )

As for retrofitting ABS, I did enquire about this before I bought the car. Ralliart UK can do it, but they believe that the cost will be prohibitive. I was told that if I wanted ABS, it would be cheaper to buy a GSR. Personally, I don't quite believe that, but it would probably be close once you factor in the labour component.

The only other thing that might turn out to be costly is replacing the front brake disks. If you stick to the standard items, then they are easily warped, and not covered by the warranty. Having said this, I suspect you might be going to uprate the brakes anyway, given your intended use of the car.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

[This message has been edited by Bagpuss (edited 05 June 2001).]
Old 05 June 2001, 09:06 AM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for your comments and observations. I will look into it and make a decision in the near future. The Q of ABS is simply due to the fact that many of my students struggle with none ABS cars in the wet. Basically, whilst drivers such as myself do not need it and would be restricted by it, I get scared when others don't have it available in wet conditions ! Must be my age

Mike@PD
Old 05 June 2001, 12:21 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

I am seriously considering the purchase of a new RSX EVO VI for my performance driving courses. The only thing I am concerned about is the fuel consumption. Can anyone tell me what the fuel returns are likely to be under normal road and circuit driving conditions.

Also, can I retro fit ABS to it and what other costly running expenses could I expect to encounter?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Mike@PD
Old 05 June 2001, 09:55 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Ai ai !!!!!
Here we go!
Can't wait to have a go!!!!!!!!

Mossman
Old 05 June 2001, 11:13 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I agree with Andy, there are a lot of scare stories out there. I always keep an eye on my fuel consumption, I keep reciepts and measure up my MPG with how many miles i've done.

I have always got between 17MPG and 30MPG, depending on how I drive. This is also with 2 different Evo VI's, one GSR and one Makinen. I think there are a lot of hard drivers out there, me included, but an average of 24 MPG for these cars is NOT bad.

For your info, my last two fill ups measured 17MPG and 19MPG and thats enthusiastic driving.

Cem