Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do pedestrians WANT to Die??

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2001, 12:57 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Silly title, but now I have your attention.

On Friday I drove through a village 4 times in about 30mins (for some reason)

Each time I passed through, there was a pedestrian crossing the high street. And in 3 out of 4 cases they were not using the Zebra crossing, but were crossing in the zig zags or just after them. Each time a motorsist had to take avoiding action, and in each caste the pedestrain was only about 10-30 feet away from a crossing.

WHEN WILL THE ROAD SAFTEY LOBBY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE. THE THINK CAMPAIN DIDDNT EVEN GET CLOSE.

They need to show what really happens, ie motoris doing 30, pedestrian steps out and gets killed, witness says to driver, there was nothing you could do, he must have been trying to kill mimself!.

It seems the more that cars slow down, the more risks pedestrains take. IF they thought that I was coming towards then at 50mph they may be more inclined to look where they are going!

Rant over
Old 04 June 2001, 12:58 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, I forgot,

its because pedestrains dont have NUMBERPLATES or LICENCES to photograph or endorse.
Old 04 June 2001, 01:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Angry

grrrr, people who walk, I hate them, nearly as bad as doddery old fools who don't/can't drive.

grrr, massive rant coming on methinks!

Seriously though, pedestrians need more education than drivers. If they are jaywalking then they're asking for trouble. Even if you were doing 2mph and you hit one you'd still get called a maniac because you are in a fast car, no, let me correct that, because you are in a car, and we, the motorist is always at fault, noooo, it's never the stupid sod who has stepped out into the road without looking, or from behind/between parked cars, god forbid that a pedestrian was ever at fault.

grrrrrrrr.

I'm off to take an extra large chill pill!
Old 04 June 2001, 01:31 PM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Is Jaywalking a crime here like it is in the states? If not it bleedin' well should be
Old 04 June 2001, 11:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

ed,

does jaywalking count under the "three strikes and you are out" totting up procedure, in the US?

mb

p.s. Just that it may be a tad harsh (maybe four time for these offenses )
Old 04 June 2001, 11:59 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Cynical but true - there are a certain number of people who do run out in front of cars deliberately because of the stupid amounts awarded for personal injury claims these days. This sort of thing and the 1/20 uninsured drivers are putting our premiums through the roof.
Old 05 June 2001, 01:58 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I nearly got a prat & his bird yesterday morning, driving up Bishopsgate in City of London about 08:30, trafic was heavy & Slow moving, but still prat & his bird decide to walk straigh in front of me, I got the usual abuse, until I asked him what his problem was & if he would like to discuss it, but he did not want to discuss for some funny reason, his bird had a fit a45e though !!

Trending Topics

Old 05 June 2001, 11:29 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

IIRC, the pedestrian has right of way on the queens highway... anytime, anywhere. It's like horses, they have more "right" to use road use than us lot in our annually licensed motorised vehicles. Pedestrians and horses were around and using the road plenty much plenty before the infernal ( ) combustion engine was devised... hence the laws of the road are always going to favour them over the late arrivals.
Old 05 June 2001, 03:08 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Boost II, so there's a 1 in 20 chance of them being hit and getting bugger all then!

DazW
Old 05 June 2001, 10:57 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

I always get annoyed when parents drag their kids across the road, within a stones throw of a crossing. What ever happened to the Green Cross Code. Should be tought to parents and children. After all Mums and Dads are suppossed to set a good example.
My rant over and out.