Sponsored by:

Honda S2000

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2001, 10:30 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

As some of you know i am a hondalcholic and presently own a Civic Type R and love it to pieces.

Yesterday i test drove the Honda S2000, wow what fun. I know its gonna be a handful in the wet, but yesterday in the dry it was quiiiiiick. Having driven a VTEC for 18 months i have learnt how to get the performance out of them so the issue of less power before 6000RPM is no probs. Even though S2000 feels quick low down.

I think the dealer was surprised i took it to 9000rpm on my first run, he said people tend to change gear at 7000rpm. LOL

Me thinks its time for a new motor.

Opinions please.

Any owners on this bbs ? I would be intrested in genuine running costs.

I have seen one for 19K 8000miles Red, anyone know someone selling ?

Ta in advance

Matt
Old 03 June 2001, 10:34 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I know someone who's selling a silver on with 14k, for £18k
Old 03 June 2001, 07:03 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think they are the performance bargain of the decade and if I was in the market for a convertible, the S2000 would be on top of the list. A seriously good looking car that also sounds the bollox.

Next to the Boxters, Z3's, MGF's and SLK's, you would have a very unique motor.

Would be interesting to see how good they would be on track though, seeing as you love track action like the rest of us

Cem
Old 03 June 2001, 07:21 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Didn't someone do a track test of S2000, Boxster and MGF and the S2000 was fastest round track?

Very good on track with the right driver.........
Old 03 June 2001, 08:11 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

I think Top Gear did a test against a Z3 2.8 and a boxter. The S2000 was fastest by quiet a long way.
Old 03 June 2001, 08:14 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey Matty boy!

I thought about buying one too a month back but due to one of the girls at work having one I cannot as Office Politics restrict me having a car the same as someone else in the office (Its true)

I never drove one but all ive heard is they are great machines and cheap to maintain and run compared to Scoobs!

Mate get yourself one as the way you drive on track you will be leaving all the Scoobs behind you except me of course LOL
Old 04 June 2001, 12:09 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

a friend of mine has both a MY99 turbo and a S2000 just now and hates it with a passion,he told me it is good on a smooth road,but it is far too hard on most of the British roads and bumps and skips around,he used to rally rwd cars,so knows how to drive.he also feels that you sit too far back in them for them to be predictable.
recently we had a bit of sport with each other along a smooth road and would have to say that if there had been a long straight he would have probably taken me(MY00 turbo).
personally I would stick with one of the Type R's.

john

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2001, 02:55 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I used to have one; MY99. I also used to drive a integra typer so im also keen on that vtec rush The S2000 has come down in price a lot since it first came out and became affordable for me.

Engine was your typical vtec typer type but have LOADS more torque from 2000 rpm, so was much nicer to drive around when your not going for it. There was a long lull though if your too lazy to change down a few cogs which felt sluggish after driving an sti6typer. BUT keep in right at peak power and it seriously flies (a F355 will have to do the same to keep up ) and in fact round the twisties I was faster than an STi6Typer - we tried Gearbox is first class and the brakes very strong.

What I didn't like was the skittish nature of the chassis, very easy to unsettle it even in the dry. There is NO body roll at all and the steering feels great - but not having a roof worried me a lot. Other than that its a great car, people will stare but maybe thats cos I got a girly yellow one

Some pics here :
Old 04 June 2001, 08:10 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Hit Matt

Have driven one on an extended test drive, and again on track.

Great car, stunning on track, but hard work in everyday mode. I have driven, and greatly enjoyed, a number of Honda V-Techs, and almost bought an Integra instead of the Impreza The 'rev hungry' V-Tech is no problem on the Integra, but on the S2000, is even higher up ther rev band (dunno what your Civic is like?). You need to keep it above c7000rpm to make it sing and dance, otherwise it is comparatively uneventful

We took it up to Shap (some of THE best roads in North of England ) and it was great fun, but still quite hard work. We found ourselves having to change down to 1st gear for several corners but it is a very crisp handler, well weighted, and good RWD fun On track (Donington) it was fabulous, very quick, and felt 'at home'.

I figured as a weekend/track car it was good, but still compromised compared to a Caterham/Exige ets, as an everyday, trundle around town car it was extremely compromised, as the sub-6500rpm performance is MX-5/warm hatch slow, and 6500rpm+ is hard work, and 'noisy' around-town However, it you live the other side of fast A&B roads from work etc, then it is a very tempting 'purists' alternative to a Boxster!

The only person I know of to drive both the Civic Type-R and the S2000 prefered the Civic as a drivers car!

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 04 June 2001).]
Old 04 June 2001, 08:18 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Friend has one and really loves it, his only issue is rear tyre wear at 4000 miles per pair of SO-2's
Old 04 June 2001, 08:36 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Red face

The Honda was one of my options as Im looking for a new car, I had an Integra Type R but didnt like it because of noise and rawness, and I think I must of been in a boring old fart mood at the time! So I reckon the S2000 would fit the bill quite nicely.

My other options were Audi TT 225BHP but there is a better one coming out, EVO 7 group 20 insurance, high running costs, there are always better ones coming out, Lotus Elise too raw not fast enough, little engine, bad quality, or a WRX but thats too ugly with poor dealers. I also looked at second hand porsche boxsters but too many people slag them off for what ever reasons. SO help would be appreciated please!

Also the honda.co.uk website isnt very good does honda have a better site where you can spec the cars up?
Old 04 June 2001, 08:55 AM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Short back and sides please

Seriously... nice looking car

Old 04 June 2001, 10:51 AM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Check out:
Old 04 June 2001, 11:10 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

1. I think Iain Litchfield can get these brand new for bargain prices. I seem to remember him offering one to me for 21ish, but could be wrong, try it. why not?

2. Honda revised the steering and updated the model so that round turn you only need half a turn to go round practically any bend. Reviews said this did wonders for sterring feel, but was odd at first. I think there may be a big difference second hand between the two versions so find out what you are getting!
Old 04 June 2001, 11:29 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Nice car.... if you can get in it.

Im 6ft2 and 17 stone.

With the seat all the way back, and steering column raised to max, i couldnt brake and turn right - my hands fouled my right leg (no jokes ok!!).

It was well cramped. And i couldnt lower the roof it hit my head!!!

Great car for shortarsed tho!!

Jza
Old 04 June 2001, 04:30 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

My colleague bought a s2000 a week after I bought my impreza and I love it. It gets far more women per mile than mine especailly in the summer days.

He says that the running costs as far as mpg are concerned are pretty good but then he is not always taking it up to 9000 rpm, which I imagine helps. I guess it depends on your driving. Servicing is supposed to be £100-150 every 9000 miles.

I love it! His is black on black, he is now nicknamed batman and uses the secret cave as a car park.

Cheers.

paul
Old 04 June 2001, 05:00 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wow what a response.

I am only a 5ft 8 so fitting in is not a problem, i found the suspension very similar to my Civic Type R, which is hard, but i don't mind and love the rawness and feel along the roads.

My missus prefers the S2000 which is handy.

Adam M - Whats Iain Litchfields no or internet site ? Thanks for the advise about the steering, the one i drove was not like that, but felt very precise.

CraigH - Thankx but i want to buy from a dealer, so i can trade in. I know i am lazy but hey.

GaryC - My Civic revs to 9000Rpm and it loves it. The limiter can be moved to 11000rpm.

Thankx for your responses. I will let you know.

Matt
Old 05 June 2001, 08:36 AM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Type R,

What about a second hand NSX? You can pick up a 2nd hand one for about 20k, albeit 10 yrs olds, but still stunning performance, great build quality, great looks and virtually solid residuals.

Jay
Old 05 June 2001, 10:00 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

Not that it matters, but I had a drag against an S2000 out of a roundabout and was chuffed to have kept up, we were both giving it full beans. You can get a car like mine for peanuts these days! Check out