Sponsored by:

Super Unleaded 98 RON .......42p per litre

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2001, 08:05 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Dont you just hate it when you see petrol in another country half price to our own.
Just got back from Tenerife last week and most garages including B.P were selling 98 RON fuel for 114 pesetas a litre which at todays rate is 42p per litre or £1.84 per gallon.AND ITS 98 RON SUL, I CANT BELIEVE IT
A 50 litre tank here costs about £40
A 50 litre tank there costs about £21
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Any other prices and opinions appreciated
Cheers
Darren
P.S saw one scoob but loads of M3s
Old 29 May 2001, 09:53 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I get it for 51-54p a litre here in Greece, that's 98 RON. It was a lot cheaper a month and a half ago at 46p a litre but it keeps going up every Wednesday now with the USD rising and also the price of a barrel.

So that makes it roughly 27.00 pounds for 50 litres at 54p a litre.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 29 May 2001).]
Old 29 May 2001, 10:05 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Gee wiz, I thought it was expensive here in Greece. What is going on in the UK? In OZ 98 Ron Optimax is about 39p per litre.

Only 19.50 pounds for 50 litres.

WREXY.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:17 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

I don't understand why the government feel the need to tax us yet more when blatantly they are already robbing us blind with petrol.

How can they justify 85p here and 39p in OZ? I suppose they don't need to at all, they can do what they like.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:59 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Hi guys, here comes a bit of a rant, so heads up

To make matters worse there's talk of petrol prices going up again. The oil companies profit margins are thin on the ground in this country and they've been putting off hiking the prices given the publics feelings.

Tax is now becoming a big issue for me and life here in the UK. I just don't see that we get value for money over here.

Our countries attitude seems to Tax everyone, but waste it all on local government bureaucracy or a bloody great big dome.

My local government was investigated for wasting over £4 million having council plumbers and carpenters earning over £30k and £40K a year !!! Apparently guys were making false claims of working 160hrs a week!!

I just can't see where our money is being spent. In my area local roads are pot-hole ridden, public transport has all been privatized with bus and rail services running late, are dirty and over-crowded.

To be fair we now have a new Hospital and the old British Steel site is being re-developed. Problem is, the majority of the finance is from lottery or millennium funds and not money accumulated from the hefty taxation.

Family have been going on and on about moving over to Oz and if it weren't for my Royal Marine training I'd have gone this year. Too make matters worse, back in January I aggravated an injury and have been waiting for 6mths to see a NHS Consultant to see if I need an op to sort it. Meantime I can't continue training and may have to put it off for a year until it's sorted. The upshot is, I will probably need to go private and pay for it myself - what's the point in paying high tax for public health care when I can't get some when it's needed.

I've seen friends move abroad because they feel ripped off in the UK. I know other countries are more expensive in certain areas and it's said that the grass is greener..., but in general I think I'd be much better off living elsewhere.

For me Oz gets the thumbs up - the weather's great, Scoobies are just as welcome and they drive on the 'right' side of the road

Rant over,
Stefan

P.S. Did I mention that I'm not happy with our petrol prices?
Old 29 May 2001, 11:02 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I may be wrong, but doesn't OZ petrol cost include some other motoring costs too such as 3rd party insurance & road tax??? If so we are being robbed further!!! Grrr.

Jon
Old 30 May 2001, 12:48 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Road levy yes, I don't think there is anything kept for 3rd party insurance as they pay for compulsory 3rd party at rego time, which is once a year. Juice is even cheaper in the States, probably almost half of the Aussie price. The funny thing is that in Australia no one is happy with the petrol prices. If they saw how much it was worth in other countries I think they would appreciate their price. I suppose wages have to be taken into account. In Oz I'd say the average wage is around 16 or 17,000 pounds per annum possibly more since I left. I don't know what it is in the UK but in Greece its around 5,000 pounds, so the 54p per litre in Greece is very expensive for a Greek.

WREXY.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 30 May 2001).]
Old 31 May 2001, 11:49 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Oops, sorry just a test.