Sponsored by:

MY01. Good or Bad - I need to know.

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2001, 08:34 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Just about to part with some cash for a MY01. But before I do I would like to hear about any good and bad points the current posse of owners are experiencing - especially engine surges, quality of paint finish, build quality of interior and brakes performance. The reason for asking? Yes, you guessed it, I currently drive a MY00. And no, I will not be advertising it on here as I would rather not fall out with anybody.

Feedback please.

TONY
Old 28 May 2001, 09:25 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

First step, since you already drive the MY00 and you know how it drives go out to a dealer and test drive the MY01 and compare to see if you like it.

WREXY.
Old 28 May 2001, 09:43 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Wrexy

G'day. Yibbida, Yibbida. Thank ya' mother for the rabbit. Done that, but then again MY00 seemed ok on test drive. Bit simplistic there cobba.

TONY
Old 28 May 2001, 09:48 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

done 2,600 miles, no problems with anything- just needs ppp then sorted.

very, very happy

tiggs
Old 28 May 2001, 10:06 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

5.5k now and it just gets better

Only Mods
SS Cibies
SS Morrettes (next week)
New Stereo Speakers and CD
and a few cosmetics

Stone chips on the bonnet a bit of a problem but going down the Armourfend route soon

SS Backbox will be next investment

Didn't have previous model but test drove a few so I can't really compare but WOW

wouldn't change for anything Save a MY01 STi

Hope that helps

Phil
Old 28 May 2001, 10:06 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tiggs

Thanks for the feedback M8.

TONY

Old 28 May 2001, 10:08 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Phil

Thanks alot. More of the same please.

Cheers

TONY
Old 29 May 2001, 12:57 AM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Have they the 60K or three years warrantry.

If so I should be onto a good thing, new drivers carpet every 12 weeks !!!!

Old 29 May 2001, 08:24 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Done 4.5k in mine, great! Handling fantastic, interior BIG improvement. Performance good, very smooth acceleration - more progressive than agressive, will be adding the PPP or SS decat & chip to give it more zip. You soon get used to the thrust and want more

Downsides - paint chips easily but a common Subaru problem. Indicators need a good turn to cancel. That's it. Enjoy.

Old 29 May 2001, 08:30 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I reckon if you don't like the MY00 you won't like the MY01. My MY00 has been fine since day 1. No more problematic than the scoobies I've owned and driven in the past and a good evolution of the model.

Old 29 May 2001, 08:38 AM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Purchased on January 20th. 2001. Have now completed over 13k. miles with nio real problems. Build quality overall seems satisfactory.

Only complaint at the moment car supplied with Suberu car mats, drivers side I noticed yesterday whilst the wife was cleaning it has a large bald spot similar to the top of my head. Not very happy with this after such a short period.

Have averaged about 25 m.p.g. most of the motoring has been up and down the motor ways, in the process collected three points.

Noticed more power from about 7k to 8k marked difference from the beginning.

Go on and buy one I feel you will not regret doing so.

All the best.

Old 29 May 2001, 10:52 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Just been to the 1.0k servicing (free in portugal). Now I'm having fun !!! Best thing I ever got. No problems at all, and it feels solid as a rock. A mit smoother than the MY00, but you feel the power and grip are there.

Cheers.

Max
Old 29 May 2001, 11:30 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the feedback.

John - I had the same problem with my mats, but dealer swapped them under warranty.

TONY
Old 29 May 2001, 01:28 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

John,

Presumably you were just checking your wife had done the job properly when you spotted the balding mats.

My mats have a stupid plastic thingy on the drivers side that is supposed to hold them in place. All it succeeds in doing is pulling the carpet underneath loose when the mat walks up into the front of the footwell.

Is this a problem with the MY01 as well?
Old 29 May 2001, 01:47 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Wilf,

I was just checking the Wifes work, well see ain't about at the moment, downstairs doing the ironing !!!!

Yes we have that studid little catch which she has trouble operating in order to clean the carpets.

You would have thought they could have designed a catch that a lady could operate without disturbing we watching motor racing.

All the best,

John.

Old 29 May 2001, 10:03 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

John

Dealer said 3 years or 60K whichever comes first.

I have ordered the car today from Gibsons of Brock for delivery in July. I hope it is as good as you guys say. MY00 was the worst one they ever produced IMHO (Flame suit donned)

Cheers

TONY
Old 29 May 2001, 10:21 PM
Mark.S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice one Tony!
What colour did you order and are you getting it with Bucket seats? Did you manage to get any pennies knocked off the price?
Old 29 May 2001, 10:23 PM
visual
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gone from 00 to 01
00 was altered i:e ecu etc etc.

01 so far has 4000 on it .
is now opening up at last.
has full ss exhaust helped greatly with lag and torque, car is far better build quality and handling is sooo much improved ,
changed headlamps 100 times better, waiting for proper rear wing , Seats are krap compared to 00 car they do not hold you in place at all my *** is all over the shop when driving hard, next thing get the buckets fitted. Also as almost all 01 seats have beautiful squeaking drivers seat ?? the only noise from the car , no rattles , Stereo is krap !!! speakers and head unit have gone Clarion system now in.
Looks : car has grown on me 10 fold since taking delivery, still like the old shape though !!, but times they are a changing and this is the way it goes.
Overall the car is as quick (if not quicker) but without the punch in the back (instant throttle bang), over any given normal bumpy lane the 01 wins every time with pulling power all the way up and superior handling.
Would i go back to 00 ?? NO most definitely not . would i if i had got the money have the 01 and P1 on the drive well h'mmm thats another one !! well here comes the STi in 8 mths time. !!

Have fun and enjoy.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:28 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Mark

Bucket seats and saved nearly £4K on dealer price. I have ordered it in WR Blue with colour coded Morettes unless I can get the Prodrive UK300 type before mid-July at a reasonable price. Just can't handle look of standard headlights even if they are better, and let's face it they could not be much worse.

Cheers

TONY
Old 29 May 2001, 10:45 PM
Mark.S
Scooby Regular

Question

Tony
Are you saying you managed to get £4000 off the standard price of £21745? I've only managed to get £1000 off so far! about to order very soon.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:51 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark

Yes that's right. Gibsons of Brock are an independent Subaru dealer and their cars come from Belgium. If you want to wait 6 months and DIY you would only pay £16,500. I know where this a WR Blue car going cheap if you are interested. We would need to discuss offline.

Tel: 07803 955600

Cheers

TONY
Old 30 May 2001, 01:01 AM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

Go for it!

I have had my MY01 since March and have completed 4.5k. The performance, while quick to begin with has only got better and better with age. Putting in SUL also seems to have helped matters.

I had the Prodrive WRsport rear silencer added as a dealer fit option and this seemed to restore a lot of the burble thats missing from the standard car, certainly the ones I test drove. One thing that you do miss from the outgoing model is the kick as the turbo comes online, now things are more progressive. I'm hoping the PPP will restore some of that...when its available!

I certainly feel that the MY01 is overall the better package when compared to the previous generation and dare I say it: I also "prefer" the looks. Such a change in styling is always bound to prevoke reaction (probably the reason for doing it) and over time people will become used to it and accept it. The MY01 certainly looks better in the flesh and it seems to draw a lot of attention from passers by (...people probably saying how ugly it looks...but who cares!)

Handling is absolutely superb.
Old 30 May 2001, 06:29 AM
rsawdnut
Scooby Newbie

I can't compare to pre-01 models, but I flat out love mine. I just got Yoko A520s fitted today and the car has been transformed into something I doubt I'll ever want to part with. It's a better handler than my Impulse RS AWD which is pretty well tweaked at this point, if not quite as fast.

Took the car out for a 'testing' after the new tires were mounted and felt 100% comfortable doing a 2nd gear (slushbox) power slide at 70+ mph on a nearby deserted dead end road. The car is just phenominally predictable and solid for such maneuvers, although I would prefer a hair more rear suspension stiffness to match the rear torque bias.
Old 30 May 2001, 08:19 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tony,

I'm getting mine from Gibsons too. Is he doing the Morettes conversion for you?

Mine is coming in September and a few cheap toys are on straight away!

Steve
Old 30 May 2001, 08:32 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Tony,

On the subject of the warranty do you mean it comes with the same dealer warranty you would get on a UK car? If so does that include breakdown or was that just an IM perk?

Old 30 May 2001, 01:09 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve

Yes Gibsons will be doing the conversion.

Wilf

Car comes with 3 year EU warranty & Breakdown assistance. All I need to do is send a copy of purchase invoice to IM so that they can register it on their system. I am also planning PPP which will legitimise the car even more.

Regards

TONY
Old 30 May 2001, 01:19 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Tony,

I think David Gibson even sorts out your registration with IM.

Steve
Old 30 May 2001, 01:27 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

After having to read the drivel that has been posted about the MY01 sinc its unveiling last year, this thread proves to be a most enlightnening and refreshing one.

All the comments have been from people who have actually owned or driven a MY01, and aprat from a few niggles, it has been positive stuff.

So, for all the people who have slated this car simply because of its looks, are you now willing to accept that it does indeed seem to be a better overall package?

I appreciate that that its looks will preclude it from ever being bought by some of you, and that is your choice, but please will these silly threads about how woeful it is stop now?

Geezer
Old 30 May 2001, 01:31 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

After having to read the drivel that has been posted about the MY01 sinc its unveiling last year, this thread proves to be a most enlightnening and refreshing one.

All the comments have been from people who have actually owned or driven a MY01, and aprat from a few niggles, it has been positive stuff.

So, for all the people who have slated this car simply because of its looks, are you now willing to accept that it does indeed seem to be a better overall package?

I appreciate that that its looks will preclude it from ever being bought by some of you, and that is your choice, but please will these silly threads about how woeful it is stop now?

Geezer
Old 30 May 2001, 01:48 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Hi geezer ... You're being provocative here... Do you want a fight ?

What reaction do you think you'll have ? Here's the two possibilities:

1) The one that have been posting against and are too bullheaded to think will shoot you through your flame suit

2) The ones that are changing their mind will NEVER admit it if you post it like that

So, forget an agnolegment from anybody

I think you're right, but I've had my MY01 for 2 weeks, therefore you know I'm bent

Cheers

Max

Quick Reply: MY01. Good or Bad - I need to know.