Sponsored by:

worn front tyres

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2001, 09:48 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

had the scoob since nov, about 10,000 miles since then. ppp with 16 yokos which were fitted new to the car when I got it now worn on the inside edge. any suggestion whats the reason, what can be done as a fix. My96
Old 28 May 2001, 09:59 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

nevr,

Get the geometery checked out. Sound like it's had Prodrive settings put on the car, and if you are doing a lot of motorway miles, they may be causing the wear to the inside edge.

Also bear in mind that the Yokohama's are reknowned for being very soft, they'll give you lot's of grip, but wear very quickly.

Bridgestone SO2's are one of the preferred tyres. They have lot's of grip, but they are soft and can let go without much notice on the limit!

I know a few guys will swear by Toyo Proxies TS-1's, which are more progressive on the limit.

And others prefer the Goodyear F1's, the choice is yours! The grip isn't as high, but the wear rate is much better!

You should be able to get all these tyres for less than £100 per corner.

If you are based in the South East, I would recommend you go to Micheldever Tyres in Micheldever (M3 J8). They can supply and fit tyres very cheaply, and they have guys who can sort out your geometery as well.

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 28 May 2001, 10:05 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I find the wear rate on the Pzeros is very good
Old 29 May 2001, 09:47 AM
JohnS

The Prodrive settings will <B>NOT</B> cause excessive wear on the front tyres, as the adjustments are within the tolerance limits specified by Subaru.

I would suggest that the tracking has been knocked out, probably by a pothole, or the previous owner hitting a kerb.

I get the tracking checked about every 5,000 miles. Most tyre places only charge if adjustments are required, and it's free just to get a check. Only takes 10 minutes, and can save you hundreds of pounds in unneccessary tyre wear!
Old 29 May 2001, 10:01 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks JohnS.
Old 29 May 2001, 10:20 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

I'm having 4 new Bridgestone SO3's fitted tomorrow (MY99). Would the tyre garrage be able to adjust the wheels to the Prodrive settings? If so what are they?

Cheers Chris
Old 29 May 2001, 10:37 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Angry

John,

Bearing in mind my complete lack of knowledge on PPP's, I would not dream of contradicting your comments regarding excessive tyre wear and the PPP.

However, Subaru's tolerances are so ridiculously wide it's no wonder that people have problems, and end up at Powerstation etc.

I've just got 9k out of a set of PZeros on my P1. The wear was very uneven, yet despite various adjustments, the tracking was always 'within tolerance'. This puts the customer in the ridiculous situation where the dealer has done nothing wrong, and Subaru point out that geometry is down to the dealer.

The principle seems to be that they bounce the customer back and forth, until they become so pissed off that they give up. My dealer has been very helpful, but Subaru's only response has been to thank me for my letter, and send me the tolerances.

So I'm just off to adjust my suspension armed with a pair of mole grips, and my Daughter's protractor.

Josh
Old 29 May 2001, 10:55 AM
nevr
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy Tang:
[B]nevr,

Get the geometery checked out. Sound like it's had Prodrive settings put on the car, and if you are doing a lot of motorway miles, they may be causing the wear to the inside edge.

Thanks guys got the car booked into the dealer lets see iof they can do anything
Old 29 May 2001, 12:15 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy Tang,
I've been thinking of getting the Prodrive geometry settings for my MY00 but do mainly highway driving, Is this not good then? I got this impression from your post, but want to be clear on this so that I don't do it and end up wrecking the tyres.

Regards,
WREXY.