Sponsored by:

Extended Warranties ??

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2001, 12:12 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

With my car having just turned two earlier this month I'm now down to my last 12months of warranty.

What happens after that? Do IM have an extended warranty or are there good 3rd party companies providing extended warranties?

VW provided an extended warranty for my old Golf - 6 years cover was great

Stefan
Old 28 May 2001, 12:22 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stefan

The Subaru UK extended warranty is the best option for years 4 & 5. You get all the benefits of the original warranty inc Subaru Assistance.

The cost depends upon the mileage and length of extended warranty. I paid £380 for an additional 2 years, less than 60k miles. I think 2 years, unlimited mileage was approx £450.

You can take out the extended warranty via your dealer or Subaru UK should write to you one month before and you can phone and pay by credit card.

Other third party warranties cost a similar amount but are nothing like as extensive. I've already had a sticky boost control value replaced and the experience was completely painless!

Regards

Mark

[This message has been edited by Dark (edited 28 May 2001).]
Old 28 May 2001, 12:27 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark,

Just what I wanted to hear. The car's only done 23K and I rarely do more than 10k a year; so should be good for a while yet.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 28 May 2001, 12:39 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

is the extended warranty transferrable... ie if you sell the car does it transfer ??

dave
Old 28 May 2001, 12:46 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I would think it should, but they'll probably be a small admin fee. I know my VW warranty could be transferred - did it a couple of month's ago when I sold my old car.

Mark,

does is say so on your warranty documents?

Stefan
Old 28 May 2001, 01:02 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Angry

......guys I bought an extended Subaru Proven Warranty on my MY97 Wagon just in case the clutch went or the turbo blew........guess what happened 2 weeks ago - yep the clutch started to forget how to grip.......off I trundled to ******* (name of dealer withheld) only to be told it "ain't covered sir,its wear and tear,one of them things sir" - OK i said then the whole car could be classed as having wear and tear on it ??? "well you said it sir, not me" wink-wink
BARS***DS.......... IT AINT WORTH THE PAPER ITS PRINTED ON.........(all in my most humblest of ignorant opinions obviously )

Old 28 May 2001, 01:09 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Stefan - Yes, I believe that the warranty can be transferred to a new owner, the same as the original.

Richard - I had the clutch & flywheel replaced on my MY98 at 24k miles, 2yrs due to judder. I think it depends upon the dealer, if at first you don't succeed, then try somewhere else.

Regards

Mark
Old 28 May 2001, 01:37 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Richard,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Does your warranty documents list the parts covered and those which aren't? If the extended warranty "extends" the original 3yr warranty, then they should replace it. Whether it's 1yr old or 4yrs old, it shouldn't matter.

My VW warranty listed all the components covered as those that weren't. Even the obvious things like tyres were listed.

As Mark said, it would appear that certain dealers are more willing to help than others - take your business elsewhere or contact IM directly.

I'm going to ask for mine to be replaced on it's next service to sort the judder problem . If others can get theirs replaced then why shouldn't you.

Stefan
Old 28 May 2001, 07:39 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Having paid £580 for "PEACE OF MIND" (which is the big selling point for Subaru to persuade you to take up the warranty), I was told two weeks later when it had its 45K service it had piston slap and would cost IRO £2K to rebuild the engine with a teflon piston. I said - no probs I have extended warranty, so they told Subaru and were told it was not covered as NOTHING HAS FAILED (key words in warranty). Also that engine slap is not an engine threatening problem and not to worry.
You have to decide if you want to gamble £580 against something that IS covered actually breaking.
Difficult decision - and probably (knowing my luck) the wrong one.
IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU PEACE OF MIND !!!
Stan