Sponsored by:

CV boot clamp pliers

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2024, 01:49 AM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default CV boot clamp pliers

Hi All, has anyone got any experience of using the 'ear' type clamp pliers? I've just bought a pair on eBay, nice n cheap, and the part of them that's in between the jaws that pushes the 'ear' down, isn't on a cam, but it just seems to float. There's another type on eBay that IS on a cam so that it operates when you squeeze the handles together, which I can understand works, but not the 1st type, which I've bought. I'll be using them upside down underneath the car too, so that gravity is going to make the pusher bit fall down.....or am I missing something fundamental of how it works. Here's a pic of the one I've bought

Last edited by nicam49; 22 March 2024 at 01:52 AM.
Old 22 March 2024, 01:32 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

I had not used one till recently , I bought a few spare metal clips , mine an ebay purchase looks the same as yours , the thing I do remember is try and get the curve right for where the two bits of metal meet and join up , I simply put mine on and pulled and it and it worked , the middle bit is only there to keep a flatter surface on the bit that raises as you clamp it , so the metal does not go thin and the tool slip off , it's one of things worth having a few spare clips , but you should be ok fitting it
The following users liked this post:
Old 23 March 2024, 01:02 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

When replaced mine i removed that metal one and fitted a standard metal jubilee clip.
Old 23 March 2024, 03:34 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

No reason that should not work , I think personally better using what's the norm , they are not too bad to fit and the clamps and tool is not that much , I had one recently with a plastic cable tie being used , which is why I changed it , to the proper clip 👍
Old 23 March 2024, 05:18 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I've changed the inner boot 6 months ago, and used one of those slip on ones that's got a cut down the side. Think it's still on fine, not checked in a while. My mate said not to use them on outer cv joint as don't last long.
Old 23 March 2024, 06:47 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Hi All, thanks for all your replies., very helpful. 👍
Also, Jaygsi, that's interesting what you said about the split type boots; I've just replaced an inner boot - found a great video on youtube that demonstrated how to do it without removing axle nut, just had to remove both strut to knuckle bolts and had enough free movement to pull tripod out of the cup thing...feel quite chuffed with myself! .. but on the other side I've got to replace the outer boot! self-inflicted damage, unfortunately, I used a heat gun to help remove caliper frame bolts not realising some of the heat from the nozzle was directed downwards.... and melted the boot! Argghh! So I was kinda considering using one of those split boots till you mentioned they don't last. Not looking fwd to removing the axle at all, but mot due next month...
Here's a pic of the collateral damage.....

, promise not to laugh!

Last edited by nicam49; 23 March 2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old 23 March 2024, 07:40 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

lol I used an angel grinder on my drop link and took out the cv boot on mine last year

Inner cv boot seems to be ok, just mate who's mechanic says outer ones don't last.
Old 03 April 2024, 10:45 AM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Well, just a quick update for anyone with nothing better to do :-)
Fitting boot clamps ain't as easy as youtube would make you believe!
I bought the other type of clamp pliers - the ones with the cam - as well, but found that both types are so crudely made that the jaws are snub-nosed and rounded, so they kept slipping off the 'ears'. I wasted 3 bands by them being malformed. In desperation, I borrowed a £60 pair from a mechanic neighbour who took pity on me, and fitted a band in no time!
Here's a pic of my 2 pairs together with the professional one, and you can see that on the decent ones, the jaws are angled back to form pincers, whereas my 2 pairs the jaws are just squarish (actually rounded edges).
So, I'm going to get my grinder out and try to fettle mine to see if it improves them.
Now got to try to fit an outer boot with a split type, as mot is looming in 10 days and haven't time to try and detach outer cv joint from the axle.... maybe save that for some future project.

Middle pair are the expensive ones that actually worked
Old 03 April 2024, 09:37 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by nicam49
Well, just a quick update for anyone with nothing better to do :-)
Fitting boot clamps ain't as easy as youtube would make you believe!
I bought the other type of clamp pliers - the ones with the cam - as well, but found that both types are so crudely made that the jaws are snub-nosed and rounded, so they kept slipping off the 'ears'. I wasted 3 bands by them being malformed. In desperation, I borrowed a £60 pair from a mechanic neighbour who took pity on me, and fitted a band in no time!
Here's a pic of my 2 pairs together with the professional one, and you can see that on the decent ones, the jaws are angled back to form pincers, whereas my 2 pairs the jaws are just squarish (actually rounded edges).
So, I'm going to get my grinder out and try to fettle mine to see if it improves them.
Now got to try to fit an outer boot with a split type, as mot is looming in 10 days and haven't time to try and detach outer cv joint from the axle.... maybe save that for some future project.

Middle pair are the expensive ones that actually worked
Forget the split boots only a band aid IF you can seal them.
Get a stretchy boot that will go over the cv joint.
Amazon.co.uk: Universal Stretchy Cv Boot Amazon.co.uk: Universal Stretchy Cv Boot
Old 04 April 2024, 12:05 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Hi All again!
Once again everyday's a school day! I'm having probs sourcing the correct outer boot in a reasonable time, so resorted to trying to fit a split boot. I misunderstood the 'universal fit' element, mainly 'cos the sizing/cutting instructions didn't come in the box, only found that out online afterwards.... ie when I'd cocked it up in other words!, So after gluing up the 1st one to gain experience, I've bought a 2nd split boot, hopefully will report back positively..... 🤞
Jaygsi, interesting what your mate said re the split boots not lasting, but if I can get it through the mot, (due next week) ! I'll be happy and can go about removing the axle at my leisure.
Anyone else considering fitting split boots, I can recommend a few youtube videos!

Last edited by nicam49; 04 April 2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04 April 2024, 05:34 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nicam49
Hi All again!
Once again everyday's a school day! I'm having probs sourcing the correct outer boot in a reasonable time, so resorted to trying to fit a split boot. I misunderstood the 'universal fit' element, mainly 'cos the sizing/cutting instructions didn't come in the box, only found that out online afterwards.... ie when I'd cocked it up in other words!, So after gluing up the 1st one to gain experience, I've bought a 2nd split boot, hopefully will report back positively..... 🤞
Jaygsi, interesting what your mate said re the split boots not lasting, but if I can get it through the mot, (due next week) ! I'll be happy and can go about removing the axle at my leisure.
Anyone else considering fitting split boots, I can recommend a few youtube videos!
Did you not read the above.
Old 05 April 2024, 04:20 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Did you not read the above.
Thought I'd read all of it.... which bit are you referring to?
​​​​​​btw, the split boots are surprisingly very thick! Took me a long time to fit, though, however, it WAS my first go. Glad I fettled the cheap crimp pliers 'cos they worked a treat this time, but best with thinner, more pliant bands. Actually the banding part I found the most challenging.!
Old 05 April 2024, 05:56 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Forget the split boots only a band aid IF you can seal them.
Get a stretchy boot that will go over the cv joint.
Amazon.co.uk: Universal Stretchy Cv Boot Amazon.co.uk: Universal Stretchy Cv Boot
Old 07 April 2024, 08:12 AM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Do the stretch boots have to be cut to size?...what threw me on the split boot was that the larger end was 100 mm diameter, but the penta-thingy diameter was only 80 mm, and it didn't look like it was designed to be cut down, but turns out that it was, it just made it a tad shorter than the original boot.
Old 07 April 2024, 09:15 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Yes but simple job
These actually last, find the balcast ones good.
Old 08 April 2024, 10:33 AM
NyahHarvey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replying for the updates.
Spoiler

Last edited by NyahHarvey; 21 April 2024 at 09:18 PM.