Help with exhaust options.

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2023, 11:28 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Help with exhaust options.

Hi all. So I’ve finally had enough of standard exhaust on my 16 wrx sti ,
running rcm u/e headers , trick u/p , decat d/p then all standard. It sounds horrid. Way to much resonating and an unpleasant cab noise/ drone.
im stuck between invidia q300 or r400 and then I’ve just come across videos of the nameless system with and with out muffler deletes and I’m impressed. All would be a cat back system ,
the design of the nameless system seems to minimise in cab noise. Anybody using a nameless system and could give more info ? Likewise any of the others.
my thoughts are the standard centre section and mufflers can’t take the upped power and the headers haven’t helped. But they are staying because of the power.
any help or insight appreciated folks.
Old 22 September 2023, 12:09 PM
Dan.jo
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 4evascoob
Hi all. So I’ve finally had enough of standard exhaust on my 16 wrx sti ,
running rcm u/e headers , trick u/p , decat d/p then all standard. It sounds horrid. Way to much resonating and an unpleasant cab noise/ drone.
im stuck between invidia q300 or r400 and then I’ve just come across videos of the nameless system with and with out muffler deletes and I’m impressed. All would be a cat back system ,
the design of the nameless system seems to minimise in cab noise. Anybody using a nameless system and could give more info ? Likewise any of the others.
my thoughts are the standard centre section and mufflers can’t take the upped power and the headers haven’t helped. But they are staying because of the power.
any help or insight appreciated folks.
I’ve been through five exhausts on my car now. You have to really careful with aftermarket headers and a decat, they’ll make any exhaust so much louder. I’m running a Q300 and it’s just right. The R400 was so loud it made everything in the car vibrate.
Old 22 September 2023, 01:04 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan.jo
I’ve been through five exhausts on my car now. You have to really careful with aftermarket headers and a decat, they’ll make any exhaust so much louder. I’m running a Q300 and it’s just right. The R400 was so loud it made everything in the car vibrate.
thanks Dan. I remember speaking to you before about it. Have you tried the nameless ? It does sound good ! Not sure how loud it would be though ! Maybe deafening, don’t mind pound outside just not too much inside.
Old 22 September 2023, 04:11 PM
Dan.jo
Scooby Regular

thanks Dan. I remember speaking to you before about it. Have you tried the nameless ? It does sound good ! Not sure how loud it would be though ! Maybe deafening, don’t mind pound outside just not too much inside.
I think it’ll be extremely loud mate, it’s louder than the R400 and that was almost unbearable inside.
Old 22 September 2023, 05:49 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

I think it’ll be extremely loud mate, it’s louder than the R400 and that was almost unbearable inside.
even tho it has a different design where the centre section meets the back section ? I’m also guessing that a lot of videos on the q300 the sound is never the same and I doubt there running aftermarket headers and up and decat ? So that alone would make it louder you think because I’m not sold on the q300 yet ?

from the nameless

The second major advantage to our flow-matched dual rear circuits is a substantial decrease in low frequency cabin noise at cruise, often referred to as 'exhaust drone.' Oversized rear circuits produce boomy sounds at cruise, ours does not.

Last edited by 4evascoob; 22 September 2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 23 September 2023, 08:34 AM
Dan.jo
Scooby Regular

even tho it has a different design where the centre section meets the back section ? I’m also guessing that a lot of videos on the q300 the sound is never the same and I doubt there running aftermarket headers and up and decat ? So that alone would make it louder you think because I’m not sold on the q300 yet ?

from the nameless

The second major advantage to our flow-matched dual rear circuits is a substantial decrease in low frequency cabin noise at cruise, often referred to as 'exhaust drone.' Oversized rear circuits produce boomy sounds at cruise, ours does not.
Unfortunately it’s something you won’t know until you actually fit it and live with it. Headers increase noise so much that I had to buy the quietest exhaust in the market for it to be bearable, but my car is still extremely loud. I had a Tomei when I had the standard headers and decat, that’s one of the loudest exhausts you can buy. That was quieter with the standard headers than my Q300 is with aftermarket headers.

The Q300 has huge back boxes to stop drone, anything that has small back boxes is going to be extremely loud on a car with aftermarket headers and decat. If you want to run a loud exhaust with aftermarket headers your best option is to go sports cat.

Last edited by Dan.jo; 23 September 2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 23 September 2023, 09:52 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Or go to a good custom exhaust builder and get them to make a system to your spec , my local place Emp in Herts has been very good , the headers and sports cat on my Fsti is quieter than on my other Fsti that has normal headers and a sports cat , both cars have a centre section delete , to get the noise you are looking for they can add or delete silencers etc , the bore size will impact that too 👍

Trending Topics

Old 23 September 2023, 04:30 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
Or go to a good custom exhaust builder and get them to make a system to your spec , my local place Emp in Herts has been very good , the headers and sports cat on my Fsti is quieter than on my other Fsti that has normal headers and a sports cat , both cars have a centre section delete , to get the noise you are looking for they can add or delete silencers etc , the bore size will impact that too 👍

good idea but I think I’m very rural Aberdeenshire I’d be limited. All I want is to get rid of the resonance or whatever it is and a little more low down rumble / bass back.
I don’t want to part with £1500 ish to be annoyed it’s not bass / rumble enough or just mailing the current noise louder ! I’m sure it’s simply the standard centre and back section not coping
Old 23 September 2023, 04:32 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately it’s something you won’t know until you actually fit it and live with it. Headers increase noise so much that I had to buy the quietest exhaust in the market for it to be bearable, but my car is still extremely loud. I had a Tomei when I had the standard headers and decat, that’s one of the loudest exhausts you can buy. That was quieter with the standard headers than my Q300 is with aftermarket headers.

The Q300 has huge back boxes to stop drone, anything that has small back boxes is going to be extremely loud on a car with aftermarket headers and decat. If you want to run a loud exhaust with aftermarket headers your best option is to go sports cat.

Thanks dan.
what did you do with all the surplus exhausts !! Lol
Old 23 September 2023, 04:48 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Another option get a mid section silencer welded in , the silencers can be bought on line , local welder could weld for you , the sports cat does seem to quiet things down , still get a good noise on full chat 👍
Old 23 September 2023, 05:13 PM
Dan.jo
Scooby Regular

Thanks dan.
what did you do with all the surplus exhausts !! Lol
I sold them on to pay for the next one lol. If I could work out how to upload a video I’d show you what my Q300 sounds like.
Old 23 September 2023, 05:44 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

I sold them on to pay for the next one lol. If I could work out how to upload a video I’d show you what my Q300 sounds like.
or send it you have my number I think ?
Old 23 September 2023, 05:46 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
Another option get a mid section silencer welded in , the silencers can be bought on line , local welder could weld for you , the sports cat does seem to quiet things down , still get a good noise on full chat 👍
I think the standard exhaust I currently have already has a mid section silencer / reaonator ? As said before I think the oe catback system can’t handle the gasses and pressures and just vibrates and farts a lot !
Old 23 September 2023, 10:13 PM
Dan.jo
Scooby Regular

or send it you have my number I think ?
I think I had that in my messages on my old account in here that I couldn’t get back. If you want to send me it again I’ll send some clips over.