Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise - Front diff bearings and Rear diff replaced already - PHOTOS

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2023, 05:03 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Whining noise - Front diff bearings and Rear diff replaced already - PHOTOS

Guys, please help.

Forester SG5, 2006 w/ EJ205 and AT transmission with TV tail. 70,000 km on the odometer.

History:
Last spring the whining noise started to come out. First, the rear diff was found to have failed when the car was lifted - the rear diff was replaced with a used one and it is quiet now on the rear end. However, the whining noise comes from the front as well (transmission).

Noise:
It starts to be heard @ 30 km\h, gets a bit louder @ 40 and up to 45, then gets louder @ 60 to 70, and then disappears. Under acceleration. It might be heard when coasting as well but barely heard. The noise was barely heard when the car lifted, I heard nothing in the cabin while lifted. The noise comes when the car is under load and running on the ground.
It sounds like the noise is a bit louder every time after the gear is switched up to the next gear (@ ~ 40, 60 km\h ?)

What was done:
1. ATF (OEM) and Gear oils were changed. Tried Motul Motylgear 75w90 and Redline 75w90NS - no difference.
2. Was suspecting the front differential bearings, so replaced them a couple of days ago. Front diff pinion and gear looked normal, with no damage, same as axle and pinion bearings - but they were replaced anyway. Result: No difference, noise is still here.
3. I tried to place a small cheap camera with a clip on the different locations underneath the car, drive, and then watch the recording, trying to find the noise location. Rear diff, Prop shaft bearing, and Axle shaft areas were quiet. There was some noise recorded when the camera was placed on the tranny assembly.

Photos:
Front differential pinion and gear, carrier planetary. Last image of the carrier planetary is not mine - image found while googling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There is no used tranny in good condition in my area, which is why I am fixing the existing tranny. I feel down because of this issue and am not sure what can I do next.
I am thinking, Could the issue be with the Carrier Planetary, part # 31436AA140? Not sure if this planetary could make a whining noise.

Please advise!?

@Don Clark what do you think? please advise.

Last edited by Hauntednsk; 24 September 2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 24 September 2023, 05:53 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Should go jdm 6 speed