Type-R Fabrication Question

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2023, 07:55 PM
Pheenix_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type-R Fabrication Question

Hey All,

Long time lurker, rare poster.. but currently I am in the middle of getting my beloved 99 Type-R restored back to former pristine glory. After the rear bumper was removed, the guys found more corrosion here that what was expected, and now this obviously going to start to hurt the budget, after getting the full underbody treatment done already. I'm not a body shop expert - so what have others done with this area? Does this all need to be fabricated by hand to restore it?

Thoughts welcome.

Rear left, bumper removed.
Old 09 August 2023, 06:31 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

It's starting to also go at the seams at the top. I reckon would be quicker and cheaper to get a brand new rear panel, weld in place, prime / paint? I wonder if new panels are easily obtained for this model? Once treated, that would surely last longer than any fabrications and repairs etc, piece of mind that it's all then 100% done and so on.
Keep all your old hardware and fixings, clips etc.
Have the bodyshop made any suggestions?

This channel has just popped up on my YouTube, seems they get some nice bits in, plus some Subaru fabrication work. The quality of their work looks pretty good and shows what can be done :
https://www.youtube.com/@51machines

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 09 August 2023 at 07:19 AM.
Old 13 August 2023, 11:51 AM
Slinkyjynx
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen cars come back from worse

You may be able to save the panel by cutting away what's rusted and fabricating panels to replace it. This isn't a structural part of the chassis so you should be alright. What does the other side look like? Hawkeye made a good observation that the seams appear to be going, but depending on how far they've gone you may be able to save them. Are your strut mounts ok? They have a tendency to rust through on these cars and need reinforcing or bracing depending on what state they're in when you start.