ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Loss of power at high Rpm

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2023, 07:50 PM
Stoffeezn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power at high Rpm

Hi guys I'm super confused, the other day I was cruising home and when I got to some open road I opened up and when I got to about 5k rpm my car sort of jolted and shot out a cloud of blueish whitish smoke, at first I thought oh great here we go another drive bearing failure so I pulled over and turned the car off, waited for a few minutes and checked for anything out of the ordinary, started it up again and everything was perfectly fine however since that day my car boosts up and hits about 4k rpm and just loses power you actually feel the nose of the car drop due to the loss of power, the car doesn't smoke or anything but I can definitely feel that the car is unhappy and does not perform like it used to since that day, anyone have any ideas on what this could be???
much appreciated

Last edited by Stoffeezn; 16 June 2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 17 June 2023, 08:12 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Hi
Have you done a code read , are plugs the right ones , and is your fuel pump running ok , what year is the car , 2 or 2.5 litre , over fuelling is a dark colour smoke , water is white smoke
Old 17 June 2023, 03:31 PM
Stoffeezn
Scooby Newbie

Car was fully rebuilt about 5000 kms ago done by a professional probably one of the best in our country, the smoke was while I was driving and it hasn't smoked since infact it doesn't smoke at all haven't had a chance to check the fuel pump
Old 18 June 2023, 06:28 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

Sounds very similar to the boost cut I got when my twinscroll actuator was weak. But you dont give much detail eg model, build spec
Old 18 June 2023, 07:25 AM
Stoffeezn
Scooby Newbie

Sorry guys, it's a 2010 wrx ej255, basically at about 140km/h it jolted and shot a cloud of smoke so I pulled over to make sure there was no internal damage like knocking or anything like that the car runs fine now but when I boost up it will hold at about 1.2 bar but when it gets to 4k rpm the boost stays the same but it loses power like I said you feel it the nose of the car drops you can hear the engine changes tune like it's labouring it battles to get to 5krpm otherwise everything else is fine no smoke at idle or when I'm driving
mods are
Wiseco pistons
eagle rods
King race bearings
Cold air intake
turbosmart bov
stage 2 turbo

Old 18 June 2023, 09:29 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Is it supplying enough fuel , a gauge on the fuel line will tell you , it’s around a constant 40 plus or so psi , gauges are around 10£ , or is it detting and cutting power , the mods done i take it’s been re mapped since it’s re build , most standard engines to forged engines will need a re map , mine did as it was detting slightly at higher rpms
Old 18 June 2023, 11:43 AM
Stoffeezn
Scooby Newbie

It has had a remap as the previous owners Map was all over the place, I have a boost and oil pressure Guage oil pressure seems perfectly normal but due to a boost leak that I do know of it drops a few points once it hits peak boost, I'm not sure if all this is because of the boost leak itself getting worse, unfortunately here in SA everything moves at snails pace and iv been waiting for a new intercooler because mine has some leaks not massive but they are there so I'm not sure if it's just the boost leaks that are getting worse and causing smoke now and then when accelerating.
Old 18 June 2023, 01:14 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

A boost leak in itself could be an issue , have you thought about getting the ic repaired , there are a few companies that ship new stuff mezazip partsouq , or something on ebay , I think sorting the issues first then see how you go 👍
Old 18 June 2023, 01:19 PM
Stoffeezn
Scooby Newbie

Thank you I appreciate you taking the time out to help, will definitely get it sorted in the next week or so and take it from there. Much appreciated 🙏
Old 22 June 2023, 03:06 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe air inlet hose collapsing under power.