Advice

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2023, 12:23 PM
throwaway
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice

Hi all.

I知 new here, so forgive me if anything stated is off.

I just wanted to get some advice and feedback, I知 currently looking at a 2006, Subaru forester cross sport turbo (manual).

it has 60,000 miles on it, and is a Japanese import (if that makes a difference)

I visited and test drove the vehicle a few days ago, and it felt good, and looked great, no visible signs of rust or any sort of decay.

My intention would be to use this vehicle as a daily driver, and may even be used for courier work (some days dropping off packages for my work.)

is it a sensible idea? Is this a year to avoid? Is it too old to use as a daily drive? I知 not in a financial position to be able to spend thousands on repairs regularly, I知 just stuck on what to do.

Again apologies if any formatting was done incorrectly.

Old 25 April 2023, 02:20 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

If you intend to use it for courier work you won稚 make much money! As for reliability, we have had our uk Impreza wrx (2003) for 15 years, had 40k on clock, now has 175k and has been properly reliable.
I also have jdm legacy gt spec b (bought 6 months ago) the Impreza seems better on fuel, the legacy is only doing about 22mpg.

Other thing to note, being a jdm it might be classed as plg so tax is 」280 a year. If so then unlikely to be ulez compliant. If it isn稚 classed plg and registered post march 2006 it値l be best part 」700 a year tax
Old 25 April 2023, 04:58 PM
RJBingham
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
If you intend to use it for courier work you won稚 make much money! As for reliability, we have had our uk Impreza wrx (2003) for 15 years, had 40k on clock, now has 175k and has been properly reliable.
I also have jdm legacy gt spec b (bought 6 months ago) the Impreza seems better on fuel, the legacy is only doing about 22mpg.

Other thing to note, being a jdm it might be classed as plg so tax is 」280 a year. If so then unlikely to be ulez compliant. If it isn稚 classed plg and registered post march 2006 it値l be best part 」700 a year tax
This, and to be legal you'd need some sort of commercial insurance, big」」」
Old 26 April 2023, 12:20 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

As long as you look after them properly, regular oil changes etc should be fine.

I've had loads of Impreza's and never had any issues apart from rust and an electrical fault caused by first owner being tight and fitting a starter motor when he had no clue on what he was doing.

Remember to check those rear aches, top of strut turret for rot. Being an import should be better conditioned.
Old 26 April 2023, 04:43 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

To be honest I think you have two questions :-

1) Is the Cross Sport Forester a good car?
As above, plus if you open the rear passenger doors and check if there's any surface rust in the corner of sill and wheelarch.
​​​​​Its 17 years old so apart from service parts, you will pay a lot via Subaru, or buy parts from breakers if things wear out.

2) Is it a good car to use in couriering ?
Big and square with the back seats down, plus 4WD to get around anywhere.
You are not going to do the right side of 30mpg very often.

For similar money I would buy a Skoda Superb 4x4 tdi 170 estate in Laurin and Klement spec, and courier that. You could always have it remapped to a safe 210bhp later and keep your 40-45mpg.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Flat4x4-again; 26 April 2023 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 27 April 2023, 02:18 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I think he's just thinking of doing a few drop offs for work, not long distance driving.

Stop and start driving isn't good for a dpf.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy a Skoda diesel over a Subaru

Originally Posted by Flat4x4-again
To be honest I think you have two questions :-

1) Is the Cross Sport Forester a good car?
As above, plus if you open the rear passenger doors and check if there's any surface rust in the corner of sill and wheelarch.
​​​​​Its 17 years old so apart from service parts, you will pay a lot via Subaru, or buy parts from breakers if things wear out.

2) Is it a good car to use in couriering ?
Big and square with the back seats down, plus 4WD to get around anywhere.
You are not going to do the right side of 30mpg very often.

For similar money I would buy a Skoda Superb 4x4 tdi 170 estate in Laurin and Klement spec, and courier that. You could always have it remapped to a safe 210bhp later and keep your 40-45mpg.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Old 27 April 2023, 08:48 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, I've had lots of Skoda diesels and lots of Subarus, and my other half has a late Yeti 4x4 diesel.

On balance I would say that is a more practical, reliable and cost-effective car than my Foresters were. It's also good to drive, with nicer steering, sharp, balanced handling and a torquey (not powerful) way about it. It would remap but that's not really the point about it.

I add a shot of Miller's DPF cleaner every three months which lowers the temp to trigger cleaning, and no problems after 100k so far.I

There is life outside Subaru, honestly.😁
Old 27 April 2023, 09:26 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Yep, I swapped my diesel Legacy for a Skoda Superb mk2 4x4. Dull as dishwater but transported my family all over UK and Europe for 10 years, 140 000 miles. One major issue, rear diff failed, but a quality spacious vehicle.
But XT's are a great car, and will put a smile on your face where the Skoda wouldn't.
I swapped to a Octavia vRS Tdi 4x4 auto, and it's horrible. Plasticy, terrible steering and auto box, rubbish handling when pushed.
edit...if you go the Forester route, invest in a bumper off underseal

Last edited by hedgecutter; 27 April 2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old 27 April 2023, 09:57 AM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Dunno if this click bait article will be helpful to the OP:
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/4-su...ne-repairs/amp
Old 27 April 2023, 11:36 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nicam49
Dunno if this click bait article will be helpful to the OP:
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/4-su...ne-repairs/amp
No, it isnt. It痴 a cross sport so has the 2 litre, not the 2.5 with hg problems.

it is also an import so won稚 have rust issues like a uk car, but as hedgecutter says invest in underbody treatment is a good idea.