Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Advice needed - Astra 888 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 06:50 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice needed - Astra 888 turbo

I need some advice I currently have an impreza sport and was looking to buy something quicker - have seen an Astra coupe 888 turbo. Only a 100 of these were made. I've been offered the right price for mine as trade in but to go look at the astra and test drive is 4hrs away! I also wanted to stick Jap because of reliability. Anyone offer any advice one one of these, what would you do??? - would be greatly appreciated.

Howie
Old 24 March 2006, 07:00 PM
New_scooby_04

TBH I wouldn't, you'll probably be paying over the odds for one of these as it's rare. IIRC the std coupe is available with the same engine in the same state of tune too. Difference is, you'll pay less for it.

Ns04
Old 24 March 2006, 07:37 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

My buddy has one and to be honest they are not that slow - certainly not much slower than my Impreza, the only problem is the FWD in the wet can be a pain, it depends how much you are giving for it. trust me not as bad as people make out - and Courtney Turbos' do a 240bhp conversion for 500 quid!!!!
Old 24 March 2006, 07:41 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

Originally Posted by The Chief
My buddy has one and to be honest they are not that slow - certainly not much slower than my Impreza, the only problem is the FWD in the wet can be a pain, it depends how much you are giving for it. trust me not as bad as people make out - and Courtney Turbos' do a 240bhp conversion for 500 quid!!!!
Do you know what the costs like - is it thirsty? are the pad and disks more expensive than standard etc - i'm in a real dilema cause i'd have to go in the morning to test drive and buy so can pick up before next sat. Cheers Chief

(It's up for 10k and they will give me what i owe for mine so no negative equity)
Old 24 March 2006, 07:44 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

It depends what you mean by thirsty!!!

Should see 25-35mpg easy - certainly a lot better than an Impreza Turbo.

My buddy has has his for 5 months now and not spent anything!!! dead reliable starts first time - everytime
Old 24 March 2006, 07:53 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Ok sounds good - the only other problem is what if there is a major problem with - do garages (its a family run but proper "Vauxhall" franchise) excahnge warranties - ie could i go to my local vauxhall garage if it goes t*its up? I know this is a silly question but I'm a worrier and don't want to make the wrong decision.
Old 24 March 2006, 07:57 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
It depends what you mean by thirsty!!!

Should see 25-35mpg easy - certainly a lot better than an Impreza Turbo.

My buddy has has his for 5 months now and not spent anything!!! dead reliable starts first time - everytime
I had a MKV gsi (same engine as 888). You'll be lucky to see 25 mpg unless you do alot of motorway miles.
Quick, but nothing scary.

Trending Topics

Old 24 March 2006, 07:59 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

dont they handle a lil suspect
Old 24 March 2006, 08:09 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mg driver
dont they handle a lil suspect
I've heard the 888 is a bit better than the coupe and gsi due to slightly stiffer spring and wider tyres, but TBH is would be hard to make a car than handled worse than the gsi I had, it was terrible and one of the reasons I decided to get rid.
Old 25 March 2006, 12:02 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Well luckily late laste night i decided not to get up at 5.30 this morning and find a normal astra turbo today to have a drive in first and go down tomorrow. The dealer phoned me at 9.30 so would have just about been there to say it was sold yesterday afternoon (2hrs before they gave me a price for mine! ) I'd have been a little mad if i had gone down!
Old 25 March 2006, 04:54 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HowiesPreza
Well luckily late laste night i decided not to get up at 5.30 this morning and find a normal astra turbo today to have a drive in first and go down tomorrow. The dealer phoned me at 9.30 so would have just about been there to say it was sold yesterday afternoon (2hrs before they gave me a price for mine! ) I'd have been a little mad if i had gone down!
Ah well, keep on looking.
Anything else taking your fancy at the minute?
Old 26 March 2006, 07:36 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
Ah well, keep on looking.
Anything else taking your fancy at the minute?
Been looking at CTR's but with the new one coming out you can get a brand new un for £14.5K - just out of my range and trying to find one for a decent price that hasn't been ragged is proving difficult. I was after the 888 cause it was different. Everyone seems to have a scooby, a CTR or a mini!!